Urethane Grout Installation Tidbits

Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

Urethane Grout Installation Tidbits

This covers both grouts from StarQuartz: QuartzLock 2 & StarGlass and TruColor by Bostik.

*Don't let the grout freeze!

*The buckets have a Vapor-Lock lid. Make sure it is well sealed to insure a 2 year shelf life.

*The day prior to installing, I like to turn the bucket upside down. This will allow the urethane liquid to rise to the bottom (think about it). When you turn the bucket right side up, the liquid will be on the bottom and be a bit easier to stir.

*I like to use a cordless drill and small 2" spiral paddle. Those type of paddles pull from the bottom up so you get a nice even distribution of the urethane liquid. Clean the paddle immediate when finished mixing. Even allowing it to soak in a bucket of water won't delay the grout curing. It will harden quickly and you'd have a lumpy paddle.

*For tile other then smooth glazed, I like to lightly dampen the tile prior to spreading grout. Do not over dampen! Too much moisture and a hard, sharp-edged epoxy float will pull excess water into the grout joint with the grout. That's not a good thing.

*Use an epoxy grout float when using urethane grout. The exception is using StarGlass over easily scratched surfaces.

*I cannot stress how important this part is.....do not spread more than 4-6 sq ft at first. Until you get a feel for how quickly the grout will start hardening, just do a very little bit at a time. Urethane grout can be wiped up immediately. I cannot stress this enough.

*I cannot stress enough the advice given above.

*For the initial wipe on floors, I use an epoxy sponge grout bucket set up. A regular grout sponge will work just fine. Do not over wet the sponge. Do not press too hard and dig the grout out of the joints. Clean up is very simple. Urethane grout doesn't seem to dirty a sponge as quickly as cementitious grout does (IMO). Make sure to do a very good cleaning. Installing in small sections helps. Do not leave the grout unwashed for more than 5 minutes. Use the epoxy float to help remove excess grout.

*Repeat the install/clean in small sections. After initial wipe of second section, use a lightly damp microfiber cloth to do a final wipe on the previous section. Keep the cloth barely damp. This will help remove any leftover haze before it has a chance of really drying. Be careful to not dig out grout with the cloth.

*You have about 15 minutes to easily remove the haze before it becomes very troublesome.

*Using 5 gallon buckets, you can use 2 with clean water to wash about 250-300 sq ft of grout. I also like to have another bucket of water available for cleaning hands and tools. Doesn't have to be a full 5 gal. I like to clean my float after about every 15 minutes. Epoxy floats are expensive. Allowing the urethane to dry on them can ruin one in about 30 minutes.

*Address any haze issues as quickly as possible. I have had very good results with the microfiber cloth to buff haze. If too much time has passed for the microfiber to clean easily, a 2-sided sponge (the side with the scrubbing pad) might be more effective.

*You can pause as often as you like when installing. Just make sure to clean your tools before pausing and that the lid is properly sealed on the grout. You will feel a snap when the lid is secured.

*You can stir the grout as often as you'd like. The more consistent the urethane liquid is throughout, the easier the grout will spread. If too much urethane has risen to the top, when you get to the bottom of the bucket, the grout will be much harder to spread and almost ball up when spreading.

*StarQuartz's Blaze cleaning product is recommended for haze removal. If that's not available, these are the other products and methods recommended: Aqua Mix Heavy-Duty Tile and Grout Cleaner, Miracle Tile & Stone Cleaner, or DuPont StoneTech Professional KlenzAll Cleaner on a white scrubby Doodlebug cleaning pad, rubbing the tile lightly to remove any remaining urethane haze, then using a damp sponge and clean water, wipe the surface to remove the film remover (do not flood surface with cleaner). Finish by drying the tile surface with a clean towel or cloth. If you still can't remove the haze, you're a moron and didn't listen to my advice in the first place

*Cure times:
Tack-free: 8 hours
Light foot traffic: 24 hours
Heavy foot traffic (commercial): 72 hours
Stain free: 3 days
Showers, exterior or other wet locations: 7 days

*Do not use enzyme or no-rinse cleaners on urethane grout. Just as with epoxy grout, enzyme or no-rinse cleaners can attack the integrity of the grout. StarQuartz recommends Soft Scrub with Bleach or any orange-based cleaner.

That's about it. I have used QuartzLock (and StarGlass) exclusively for 3 years and have not had a problem. I took my time at first but now it's second nature to me and grouting is usually the fastest part of the project.

Last edited by angus242; 03-27-2011 at 11:56 PM.
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
72chevy4x4 (12-16-2011), Aaron Tritt (03-28-2011), ApgarNJ (04-09-2011), aptpupil (02-28-2012), ArtisanRemod (01-03-2013), astor (08-23-2011), B.D.R. (11-27-2012), Bastien1337 (03-27-2011), BCConstruction (12-23-2011), bhock (03-27-2011), ChimneyHill (06-15-2011), country_huck (08-30-2011), dsconstructs (08-29-2011), goneelkn (03-28-2011), HandyHails (03-28-2011), HerrBag (04-01-2011), HS345 (03-27-2011), JohnFRWhipple (03-28-2011), katoman (03-29-2011), MAULEMALL (03-18-2012), mbobbish734 (10-10-2011), olzo55 (03-27-2011), opiethetileman (03-27-2011), Paulie (03-28-2011), Remodelor (06-07-2011), ROVACON (03-28-2011), sbcontracting (10-01-2011), slowsol (04-26-2011), stonecutter (12-26-2011), superseal (04-09-2011), sycamorebob (07-12-2012), Taurus Flooring (12-27-2011), WildWill (08-15-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Level 27 Contractor

Trade: Renovation
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Urethane Grout Installation Tidbits

Awesome possum!

Advertisement

Check out my gallery here http://on.fb.me/I2XylV
Check out my blog here http://sebastianbethke1337.wordpress.com/
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: DIYer apparently
Rewards Points: 1,000

sweet info dude but i will never leave team blue even if ya help me grout
Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiethetileman View Post
sweet info dude but i will never leave team blue even if ya help me grout
More urethane installs for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 710

Id like to add something when turning the bucket upside down... make sure the grout plops to the lid, if not the urethane will collect on the lid and not rise to the bottom, lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
angus242 (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,052

Thank you Angus.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Tile Installation
Rewards Points: 150

Thanks for the tips Angus! I just tried the urethane grout instead of the laticrete brand epoxy.

With your tips, in addition the instructions on the jug, I had a smooth and easy installation.

The only downsides to the urethane seem to be cost and availability in my area.

I will probably make the switch to urethane though.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
It's Not a Toomaa!!

Trade: Remodels

I used this on a wall the other day w/ 1/8th inch joints. I scrubbed the wall down first. After application I wiped down and the water from the mosaics above all found its way to the joints below the mosaic. The urethane grout started to sag. I had to scrape it out and reapply. Just a heads up to really watch the amount of water being used for clean up especially in this situation. Maybe start at the top and work your way down.

That's what I will do next time.

hhicontracting.com
Old 04-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Tile Installation
Rewards Points: 150

I also found it useful to mask off the floor, so I didn't need to be as worried about dropped grout. For sure, top first and work your way down. This stuff is a little loose, and is easy to drop off the float.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
I no spell good

You definitely need to be careful with the amount of water that's used.

Like I said previously, it is suggested to dampen the surface before installing. I rarely do that.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Rewards Points: 2,000

Angus is possible to split up a large kitchen Grout job into "Lifts" or "Sections" of grouting?

Have you ever done say one half of a shower one day and the other the next?

JW
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFRWhipple For This Useful Post:
donerightwyo (08-07-2013)
Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFRWhipple View Post
Angus is possible to split up a large kitchen Grout job into "Lifts" or "Sections" of grouting?

Have you ever done say one half of a shower one day and the other the next?

JW
Yep, no problem. Just make sure the lid is properly snapped on and clean all of your tools. Because the color is premixed, the match is perfect.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
It's Not a Toomaa!!

Sooooo is Bostik's version of this the same formulation? Is it just rebranded? Have you ever used TruColor?

I just realized my supplier is carrying TruColor now. I was looking through todays mail and they have a notification stating they will have ALL colors in stock. I will try this on the next bathroom remodel for sure.

hhicontracting.com
Old 04-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyHails View Post
Sooooo is Bostik's version of this the same formulation? Is it just rebranded? Have you ever used TruColor?

I just realized my supplier is carrying TruColor now. I was looking through todays mail and they have a notification stating they will have ALL colors in stock. I will try this on the next bathroom remodel for sure.
TruColor is exact same thing. Actually, Bostik owns StarQuartz. Although, QuartzLock was developed by StarQuartz, Bostik just bought the company. Even the grout code numbers are the same (names I believe are different).
Old 04-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 710

Does bostik have their own version of the star-glass?
Old 04-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
Does bostik have their own version of the star-glass?
They do not. When it was first released, it was only sold at Daltile. That is no longer the case but you can only get StarGlass from StarQuartz dealers.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
It's Not a Toomaa!!

Asked my supplier today about TruColor. Exactly the same price and they have all colors in stock all the time. Pretty sweet. Color selection is not as broad though.

hhicontracting.com
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
This covers both grouts from StarQuartz: QuartzLock 2 & StarGlass and TruColor by Bostik.

*I like to use a cordless drill and small 2" spiral paddle. Those type of paddles pull from the bottom up so you get a nice even distribution of the urethane liquid. Clean the paddle immediate when finished mixing. Even allowing it to soak in a bucket of water won't delay the grout curing. It will harden quickly and you'd have a lumpy paddle.
Is there still a warning on the label about over-mixing or is that a thing of the past?

I always hand mix it in fear of over-mixing but I can't honestly say I've re-read the label since a few years ago.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
I no spell good

The over mixing concern is the same. The problem is those who use an improper paddle and introduce air into the grout.

I use a spiral paddle that pulls up from the bottom. No worries about inducing air that way.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #20
It's Not a Toomaa!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
The over mixing concern is the same. The problem is those who use an improper paddle and introduce air into the grout.

I use a spiral paddle that pulls up from the bottom. No worries about inducing air that way.

Pics or link please.

Advertisement

hhicontracting.com

Tags
chicago, elite tiling, plainfield, quartzlock, starglass, starquartz, trucolor, urethane grout