Tile Over Existing Marble

Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Mason
Send a message via AIM to Tommy C

Tile Over Existing Marble

Hi there...I've got a question for you tile guys. The other day I looked at a bathroom with a shower that has marble tile on all the walls. Is it possible to tile directly over marble? Is there anything that you guys would recommend to avoid demo'ing the marble?

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
tile mason

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling and custom tile projects

Re: Tile Over Existing Marble

It is a wall, not a floor. So, so long as it is "structurally sound" (check this with a golf ball and a hollow eardrum) and free of cracks, the TCNA approves of this installation method.

Being that it is marble, a "precious" rock, you may want to remove carefully and bag it up for possible later use in a wall or a tumbled shower pan.

But the TCNA and I both agree you can install over existing tile.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Send a message via Skype™ to ChrWright

I wasn't aware marble was now considered "precious".... It's nice, but not that nice.

Getting it off to re-use... Good luck with that.

As for tiling over it... yes it's possible to go over a stable tile with a good substrate. But I wouldn't consider tiling over a stone as porous as marble.

Christopher Wright, CR: President @ WrightWorks, LLC/President @ Central Indiana NARI, Named to the 2010 REMODELING Big50
www.WrightWorks.net - Facebook - Twitter - Carmel Remodeling
Indianapolis Kitchen Remodeling Contractor - You Can Get There From Here
Old 02-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Mason
Send a message via AIM to Tommy C

Thanks guys. Being that the marble is high gloss, would I have trouble adhering to it, with thin set? Should I rough it up?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Tile Guy

Trade: Tile and stone

Recently I did a large foyer in training center in witch the original floor was marble. They would not remove it for anything so we went over it and so far so good. We Acid washed the entire floor and then used tec super flex thin set and flat troweled the back of every piece to ensure bonding. Been about 6 mo with not one problem. Don't know if i would do it in a shower but i would definitely see if an additive is available to mix in with your thin set as well as using a super flex thin set.