Setting Prehung Doors/Tile Sequence

Old 05-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finish Work
Rewards Points: 338

Setting Prehung Doors/Tile Sequence

I've set tile in baths, and set pre-hung doors, though not in bath areas.
Knocking my head for SOP -- in the past I have tiled "up to the jamb". It doesn't help that the mind is going!. And may have gone beneath at certain times...

I do want to avoid "notching" the base of the jamb, given different floor height transitions like for wood-to-vinyl.

But doing our own bath right now, having (2) doors; one on the inner tiled closet and the other, the entry, having inner tile & outer carpet.

When should door jambs be set on both these spots?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,390

Re: Setting Prehung Doors/Tile Sequence

You're supposed to undercut the jambs for tile, as a remodeling contractor you should know that. I don't know what you mean by "notching".

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
You're supposed to undercut the jambs for tile, as a remodeling contractor you should know that. I don't know what you mean by "notching".
I think he's referring to splitting flooring of different materials/heights under the door slab so one side of the jamb is cut to one length and the other is cut to a different length. It ends up being a notch.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finish Work
Rewards Points: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
I think he's referring to splitting flooring of different materials/heights under the door slab so one side of the jamb is cut to one length and the other is cut to a different length. It ends up being a notch.
That's it.

That'd be the advantage of keeping both (inner/outer jambs) lower at the same height.

It's a given that the installed jamb could be cut, but probably not cleanly if it's half the jamb.

With one side tile, the other side carpet, the carpet side can still end up being lower so if the jamb is undercut the gap would show on the carpet side. I see tile carried up to the wood of jamb all the time - that doesn't mean it is right.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,390

Both carpet and tile go under the jamb and casing. If it has to cut at different heights so be it I do all the time cut cleanly. I install the doors before the flooring and space it above the subfloor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Jaws (05-30-2017), TNTSERVICES (05-29-2017)