Sealing Grout

Old 01-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
General Contractor

Trade: Class "A" Contractor with "BLD" Classification
Rewards Points: 75

Sealing Grout

What's everyones opinion about sealing grout. Should it be done?

Last edited by Cole; 04-04-2006 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Moved to Ceramic & Stone Tile

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Sealing Grout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPV123

That is what they make it for.

Bob

Old 01-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 8,900

I'm no expert and have only done 3 tile jobs. The last one was burgundy tile butted up against an existing grey tile. The grout on the grey tile had not been sealed and basically was the same color as the tile...dirty grey.
Seal it...a couple of times.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

It needs to be resealed every few years too, job security but proper too.

Albert Einstein
Old 01-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

I didn't know it was an option?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
General Contractor

Is it considered part of the install? I was always told "you should seal the grout" But i never noticed a tile guy doing it as part of the install.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I never include grout sealer as part of the install, and I don't know anyone in my area that does.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #8
Pro

I've never installed any tile without sealing the grout. I use a teflon based sealer with a 20 year guarantee. It takes less than 15 minutes to apply and I know that the grout will repel dirt and my customer will be happier with their project over the long term which makes them happier with me.

Sealing just becomes another step in our process. Usually on the last day of a smaller project, after grouting tfirst thing the next morning the grout gets sealed then we carry on with the final things, re-seat the toilet, install the base boards, install the sliding tub doors, ect...

By sealing it that morning I guarantee that nothing else we do finishing the job is going to f- up the grout. That sealer protects it from me also.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
General Contractor

Hey Mike - What's the name of the sealer you use and where can I get it? Thanks -Joe
Old 01-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Flooring Guru

Trade: Sales Manager

I cannot see why a good tile installer will not call after 1 year to reseal grout.
It gets you back face to face with the client and will increase your customer base 2 fold if you do it.
Why?
Because nobody else does!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Grout & Tile Restoration
Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to diego79 Send a message via Yahoo to diego79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florcraft
I cannot see why a good tile installer will not call after 1 year to reseal grout.
It gets you back face to face with the client and will increase your customer base 2 fold if you do it.
Why?
Because nobody else does!
My experience is that tile installers don't come back to seal generally because they're supposed to come back 2-3 days later.

Most already have their money and are on the next job.

And also, during that year, the tile gets dirty and must be properly cleaned (that's where we come in) before it can be re-sealed.

I'm actually trying to do some marketing to tile installers where I can be the guy to come in and seal afterwards and give the installer a referral fee...

"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence,
and then success is sure".

-Mark Twain
Old 03-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
TMF Home Improvements

Trade: Home Improvements
Send a message via Yahoo to TMF

I've done many tile jobs and I always include sealing the grout and tile in the price. Thats like hooking up a water heater and not turning on the water. Its part of the project.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: Grout & Tile Restoration
Send a message via AIM to diego79 Send a message via Yahoo to diego79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF
I've done many tile jobs and I always include sealing the grout and tile in the price. Thats like hooking up a water heater and not turning on the water. Its part of the project.

very true. If I did installations I would always offer it as an option.

My subdivision has about 600 homes and the builders did not offer grout sealing.

Which is good for me I suppose because they get dirtier faster and need cleaning.

"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence,
and then success is sure".

-Mark Twain
Old 03-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #14
Deck Designer/Builder

Trade: Construction Project Manager
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego79
My subdivision has about 600 homes and the builders did not offer grout sealing.
That's the fundamental difference between the posts. You're referring to new home construction and the other posts are referring to custom home remodels.

New home builder's don't pay for their tile guys to seal it - at least in none of the new homes I've seen. Custom built homes and custom remodels are an entirely different story.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #15

Trade: Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Tile is our speciality
Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Tileman Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Tileman Rich

I'm doing mostly remodel work now, but even when I was doing a lot of new construction, I sealed them when I was done its part of being a pro.
The sealers of 10 years ago you had to wait 30 days to put it on. The good sealers on the market today you only need a few days before you seal. Yes it should be done .

Rich
Old 04-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #16

Trade: ceramic wall & floor tiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPV123
its not normaly done here in ireland as part of the contract. wobblyknees.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #17
Tile Setter

Trade: Ceramic Tile, Marble, & Stone

I do mostly residential remodels, and have found that most customers are willing, and sometimes eager, to seal the grout themselves, especially if they are going to save some money by doing so.

Just like customers that will move their own appliances the night before you arrive to save on those charges, many customers will seal their own grout for the same reason. I often even supply the sealer and applicator, and give them a thorough explanation as well.

I show my customers a price list, broken down as it were. My base price is for a typical tile laid straight. Diagonals and patterns, insets, sealing, walls, ceilings, etc are all additional charges.

- Bob
Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #18
tile contractor

Trade: Ceramic and stone tile contractor
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Bill_Vincent Send a message via MSN to Bill_Vincent

I know this is going to be kind of controversial, but it's been a while since I've really had time to go thru the threads here. I saw this and felt compelled to say something. It's a real sore spot between me and the rest of the industry.

There are a lot of contractors who will tell you yes, and still others who will tell you no. The reason for sealer is to make cleaning and maintenance easier. There has been a trend in recent years to use light colored grouts in the main floors of the home in order to match lighter colored tiles, and a sealer is used to prevent "wear paths"-- darkening of the grout joints in areas of main traffic in the home. Unfortunately, in my experience, sealers will not prevent this. They'll only delay the inevitable. You're much better off to use either a medium or darker colored grout. As for using sealer in the bathroom, sealer WILL help, but again, over time, grout will discolor somewhat, or "age", and cleaners will be, for the most part, just as effective, with or without sealer.

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Old 06-13-2006, 12:13 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Vincent
I know this is going to be kind of controversial, but it's been a while since I've really had time to go thru the threads here. I saw this and felt compelled to say something. It's a real sore spot between me and the rest of the industry.

There are a lot of contractors who will tell you yes, and still others who will tell you no. The reason for sealer is to make cleaning and maintenance easier. There has been a trend in recent years to use light colored grouts in the main floors of the home in order to match lighter colored tiles, and a sealer is used to prevent "wear paths"-- darkening of the grout joints in areas of main traffic in the home. Unfortunately, in my experience, sealers will not prevent this. They'll only delay the inevitable. You're much better off to use either a medium or darker colored grout. As for using sealer in the bathroom, sealer WILL help, but again, over time, grout will discolor somewhat, or "age", and cleaners will be, for the most part, just as effective, with or without sealer.
I always consul my customers on the pros and cons of grout colors. Nothing is going to help keep their grout looking fresher then choosing a medium colored grout that hides the inevitable dirt that will end up on a grouted floor. In showers and tubs you usually have the opposite effect with lighter colored soap scum and hard water.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #20

Trade: Tile Contracting

Hey I am with Mike. Tile sealing is in the best interest of the customer. I work for a "custom" tile contractor and he tells customers that he won't do it because it's not worth it. And he is right it's not worth it for him to pay a guy $16.00 an hour to drive and seal a floor/shower for 50 cents a square foot. That guy could be making him more money on the next job. (I just so happen to be "that guy"). I do end up sealing most of our jobs however it is on the side in my spare time. Trust me it's the easiest thing you can do, and the hardest thing you can screw up. Use Tile Labs Brand and you will be happy you did.