Seagrass Limestone In Shower? - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Seagrass Limestone In Shower?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Seagrass Limestone In Shower?

If kept well sealed, how does limestone hold up when used in a shower? I just finished up at a workshop for Kerdi and would like to use it on a bathroom project that I am working on.

The homeowner likes two different material, a large porcelain tile 23x39 or Seagrass Limestone 18x18. Her first pick is the porcelain, but there is no trim and she is not happy about having metal trim for all of the outside corners (pony wall, bench, curb, wall returns). We did a fireplace treatment for her and she likes the idea of having us polish the edges of the limestone for an outside corner treatment, but she is concerned about the durability of the limestone in the shower.

P.S. I have just finished reading the thread about working with porcelain - great info! FYI - Seagrass Limestone is a smooth slightly polished material with white seashells "swimming" through it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile
Rewards Points: 518

Re: Seagrass Limestone In Shower?

Tool and polish the porcelain.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 6

use the porcelain and what about a pencil liner for edge treatments or frame it with a different porcealin bull nosed tile.

www.ObrienConstructionDenver.com

Old 02-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #4

Thanks for the ideas! This tile is from Porcelanosa and almost looks like a lightly striped wallpaper with glass over it. The cut edge of the tile is not the same color like other porcelain that I have seen - so the tooling and polishing is out. What is pencil line?

I just showed the homeowner a ring of Schluter trim and she didn't see anything that she liked. I went with her to the display and it looked really nice - designer, but I pointed out to her that it was an inside corner display that showed off the tile to best advantage and didn't require any outside corner trim.

Is there a really thin trim for outside corners that would work with a double 45 treatment? That seems like it would be a nifty way to minimize the amount of metal showing.

Any comments about how well the limestone would hold up in a shower?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Porcelain can be bullnosed, it's done all the time, here in Denver there are lots of companies that will bullnose anything you want. You drop off the tile, they bullnose it and you pick it up.

Limestone is soft, it doesn't wear like porcelain, but nobody wants limestone because it looks like porcelain, they want it because it looks like limestone.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #6

Thanks! Even though we couldn't tool and polish her first pick, we were able to go through the samples again and find some that we could do this treatment to. We wouldn't have thought to take another look without your suggestions.

Advertisement