Rapid Set With Ditra

Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #1

Trade: Remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 37

Rapid Set With Ditra

Schluter recommends modified thinset under Ditra over wood subfloor and unmodified to set tile. Would it be possible to use rapid set over Ditra with porcelain floor tile and grout the same day? This is a small bathroom and I would like to use rapid set under and over the Ditra. Any potential problems with this install.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile
Rewards Points: 518

Re: Rapid Set With Ditra

I personally,
would not hesitate in doing that.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Tile Pro - Consulting

Trade: Tile Contractor-Manufacturers rep. Tile & Marble
Rewards Points: 352

Hi Tang,

Using rapid-set thinset to install tiles on Ditra is perfectly fine. That is the only time Schluter gives their blessings using modified over Ditra. You can use regular modified to install the Ditra though for ease of installation. There is no need to wait to set tiles once Ditra is installed.

Have you used fast setting before?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE - PERLATO SICILIA - PERLATINO - BOTTICINO - THASSOS - SIVEC - VOLAKAS - NAXOS - others, Slabs - Tiles - Custom - marmo.sicilia@yahoo.com

Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

I did a powder room using Laticrete 317 under the Ditra and Laticrete 253R over, to set the tiles. First day, I was out the door by 3. Next day, grout and gone by 12.
Worked great.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #5

Trade: Remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 37

Gentleman, Thanks for the info. Availability is a problem here in the blue mt. of Oregon. I have purchased Laticrete at Lowes (its 120mi) we have one floor covering retailer that has one bag of rapid set. My lumber yard carries one brand of thinset (unmodified) and no add mix. H.D. is 65mi and I have purchased Custom products there. The job is a small bathroom and the customer is extremely penny conscious. Itís T@M to save them a few bucks. My thought was to grab the rapid set (witch I have used before direct bond to slab) set and grout the same day. Although I have been the trades for over 30yrs (in one capacity or another) I donít proclaim to be the tile guy but due to the lack subs in my area I have had to become one from time to time I just learned to turn this computer on about a month ago when I was sidelined with knee surgery. Never thought I had time for it and it may be the best tool I own. Thanks again Tang