Paint Mixed With Tile Grout

Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Design/Build

Trade: residential contractor
Rewards Points: 27

Paint Mixed With Tile Grout

Wondering if anyone out there has mixed latex paint into tile grout to change the color? I can't see why it would be a problem.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,226

Re: Paint Mixed With Tile Grout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmorical View Post
Wondering if anyone out there has mixed latex paint into tile grout to change the color? I can't see why it would be a problem.
you can't?

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duburban For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-26-2017), Rockmonster (02-24-2013), TBM (08-26-2017)
Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Design/Build

Trade: residential contractor
Rewards Points: 27

Tell me why you think that? I would think that latex would be compatable with the polymer in the grout. The reason I want to do it is because I can't get color I want in stock grout colors.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,016
Send a message via Skype™ to ChrWright

I can think of a whole host of reasons why that's a bad idea--first and foremost being they weren't formulated to go with each other. In addition to the color you're looking to take from the paint you're getting everything else along with it.

You're asking for a failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrWright For This Useful Post:
Bummie (11-16-2017)
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling/ home repair
Rewards Points: 160

http://www.groutdye.com/custom_color_design.htm

Do it right. Adding paint will void any warranty and probably weaken the grout as a whole. The above link is only one of many companies that will create a custom dye for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ash@OTL For This Useful Post:
Floormasta78 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling/ home repair
Rewards Points: 160

Also check with multiple tile suppliers. There are many "stock" colors that vary from one supplier to the next.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,226

would you add grout to make a harder paint?

Contact the manufacturer and get their blessing to custom mix different colors of their product. Getting exact grout colors with cement based is a tough time considering how much water content, humidity, sealing, etc.. can effect the color.

Have you looked at the epoxy color samples? those are supposedly dead on although i don't have the stones to do epoxy until i do it at my house first.

Last edited by duburban; 02-24-2013 at 01:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duburban For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (02-27-2013), sycamorebob (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

Trade: residential
Rewards Points: 25

No offense, but are you crazy? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all.

Can you mix grouts together to get the color you are looking for?
Concrete colorant?

You can also paint the grout after it is cured but I'm not crazy about that either
Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2,294

This has got to be a joke. No self respecting contractor would even ask such a question. If that doesn't work maybe your wife or girlfriend has some nail polish that will help you match, or better yet maybe you can find some kids with washable markers to get just the right tint.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-28-2017), Floormasta78 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
bathroom guru

Trade: Bathroom Design Build Contractor
Rewards Points: 560

With all the grout colors available, you can't find the "right one"?

You cannot mix paint into grout...ever!!

If you really can't find the right color.... You may be able to mix up your own color by using different colors of grout. However, I have never tried it and would suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if it's possible. If you decide to go this route the only other suggestion I would have is make sure you mix enough to do the job the first time!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Better to ask the question and be called crazy than go ahead and do it and deal with the consequences.

It's a bad idea. You can add dry pigments in small amounts to cement grouts - years ago I talked with the tech people at Laticrete about it, and they were OK with it - it's just mortar, after all. Anything else is messing with the chemistry and asking for failure.

It's also a bad business move to tell a customer that you can create a better, perfectly color-matched grout. You give them the palette, tell them to choose the one they like, and warn them that results may vary.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
...maybe you can find some kids with washable markers to get just the right tint.
You laugh, but... I've seen it done, with Sharpies, on an exterior deck. Power-washing revealed pink grout, which the owner didn't like. I kept my mouth shut and stayed out of it.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair
Rewards Points: 500

maybe you could use cement dyes, but what are you really saving, geeze I remember parents being psychotically cheap after living through the great depression, is it got to happen again?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,745

Adding latex paint will definitely screw up the grout, I believe it's due to the fillers (don't know for sure, but it definitely doesn't work).

Making a custom color match is an iterative process and is very time consuming. You have to dry it and then seal it to see what you'll get. I've had to do it for some matches - big PITA.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Tile & Marble Contractor

Trade: Tampa Tile Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

if you cant find a color with the grout manufacturers out there you got problems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grou...IJG29gSSmYDADg
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
Orlando Car

Trade: certified floor covering installer.
Rewards Points: 1,154

I'm sorry.. And I'll probably be banned for this..

That is and has you be the most ridiculous question I've seen yet.

And to even answer ..

Just move this to jokes and funnies section
( 510 ) 760 - 6810
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Floormasta78 For This Useful Post:
HS345 (02-25-2013), TNTSERVICES (02-25-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by duburban View Post
would you add grout to make a harder paint?
This might be the best response, thought.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168
Send a message via Yahoo to charimon

If you want to get just the Right color for your grout. I suggest you grout with what ever grout you have at hand and then use a water-based epoxy (same stuff as grout recolorents) tinted to the desired color for the finish.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #19

Trade: Fine art
Rewards Points: 10

Acrylic paint may ABSOLUTELY be added to sanded grout. This is a technique I have used for about a decade. Sanded grout is essentially mortar, which uses water to begin a chemical process that hardens it. All in all, even the best applied grout has many inherent vulnerabilities that present themselves over time such as cracking or becoming brittle under stress or vibration, or becoming permissible to moisture. A high quality acrylic paint or latex paint will decrease a number of these flaws, with no downside I've noticed over 10 years. (it can be in some ways more difficult to remove, if you ever need to remove it). Paint, be it latex, acrylic, oil etc. is just a pigmented medium. Latex is the medium for latex paint and acrylic is the base for acrylic paint, both of which are water based, and no water based paint I've used yet has negatively affected any grout application I've done. I would stay away from specialized paints like crackle effect paint, glow in the dark, etc, or at least test a small area first for compatibility. Don't worry about how strong it will be. Last I checked, acrylic is pretty tough stuff. Let an entire tube of acrylic paint dry out completely, and take a chunk of mortar the same size, and see which one is more easily destroyed by a hammer and/or chisel.

1:6 paint:mixed grout ratio is what I found works best. You want to mix the grout to the desired consistency first, and then add the paint. Don't use a cheap acrylic craft paint, but rather an archival artist paint like golden or liquitex. I haven't found the brand to make much difference in latex paints.

Because paint is much more densely pigmented than grout, you can achieve some much richer colors.

Keep in mind the paint will need longer to dry, especially in wet applications like a shower, since until the paint dries into a waterproof material, it is still water soluble. Once it does dry, the grout will be far more waterproof than your neighbors grout.

Enjoy.

So very sorry to bump an old thread; it's usually frowned upon in many forums, especially from a new account, but this is the first result on google when searching for grout+paint, and I fear it may be misleading.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #20
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsik View Post
Acrylic paint may ABSOLUTELY be added to sanded grout. This is a technique I have used for about a decade. Sanded grout is essentially mortar, which uses water to begin a chemical process that hardens it. All in all, even the best applied grout has many inherent vulnerabilities that present themselves over time such as cracking or becoming brittle under stress or vibration, or becoming permissible to moisture. A high quality acrylic paint or latex paint will decrease a number of these flaws, with no downside I've noticed over 10 years. (it can be in some ways more difficult to remove, if you ever need to remove it). Paint, be it latex, acrylic, oil etc. is just a pigmented medium. Latex is the medium for latex paint and acrylic is the base for acrylic paint, both of which are water based, and no water based paint I've used yet has negatively affected any grout application I've done. I would stay away from specialized paints like crackle effect paint, glow in the dark, etc, or at least test a small area first for compatibility. Don't worry about how strong it will be. Last I checked, acrylic is pretty tough stuff. Let an entire tube of acrylic paint dry out completely, and take a chunk of mortar the same size, and see which one is more easily destroyed by a hammer and/or chisel.

1:6 paint:mixed grout ratio is what I found works best. You want to mix the grout to the desired consistency first, and then add the paint. Don't use a cheap acrylic craft paint, but rather an archival artist paint like golden or liquitex. I haven't found the brand to make much difference in latex paints.

Because paint is much more densely pigmented than grout, you can achieve some much richer colors.

Keep in mind the paint will need longer to dry, especially in wet applications like a shower, since until the paint dries into a waterproof material, it is still water soluble. Once it does dry, the grout will be far more waterproof than your neighbors grout.

Enjoy.

So very sorry to bump an old thread; it's usually frowned upon in many forums, especially from a new account, but this is the first result on google when searching for grout+paint, and I fear it may be misleading.
This has to be a joke. No manufacturer would EVER approve this method. Grouts, while have similarities to mortar, are not essentially mortar. People spend years and tens of thousands of dollars to get degrees in chemical engineering to then get hired and paid tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars to formulate products. Everything is measured and precisely formulated to give a specific end result.

This has got to be some of the most irresponsible advice I have seen on CT. You should NEVER add anything to any product that hasn't been tested and approved by the manufacturer.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (08-28-2017), concretemasonry (08-26-2017)