Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

odd bullnose tile

12K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike Finley 
#1 ·
As an observer of interesting things, I have seen a tile that was mostly used on very old (50's, 60's) tile installations, mostly in bathrooms. Where a row of horizontal bullnosed wall tiles meets a row of vertical bullnosed tiles, the tile in the corner sometimes had a little tiny bullnose on the intersecting corner. I know that this tile was factory made and not filed off in the field, because the little bullnose "notch" is glazed. Question is... what is this particular tile with the little bullnose on one corner called? I drew a quick pic for clarity.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
That I don't know, - - I don't do commercial work at all, - - but I do know (for residential) it's tough, if not impossible to even find an 'available' base tile anymore, - - let alone bull-nose corners 'n all that.

I did tile my upstairs bathroom with those 'inside' corner tiles (on the border tiles) though, - - that was about (14??) years ago, - - have never been able to find anymore since then. Maybe it's an 'area' thing??

Usually, on the older houses around here (like mine), - - you would use 4 X 4 field tiles, - - with 2 X 6 border tiles, - - and when you make that 'vertical-to-horizontal' turn you speak of, - - you'd use a matching 2 X 2 'inside-corner-tile' to make the turn. Gives a real nice detail.

#7 · (Edited)
They still make quarter bullnose and inside/outside corner bullnose.
Marazzi and Laufen makes them still on select brands.

For instance, Laufen has a tile called "Carrara" that is in a floor and wall series.
They make a 3" x 3" outcorner trim, SN4339

Your wet saw can be set on a 45 degree angle for a reason. For inside outside corners

#9 · (Edited)
Your wet saw can be set on a 45 degree angle for a reason. For inside outside corners

The tile md is talking about in his original post is not something that can be made by 'setting your saw' . . .

Cutting a 45* on outside corners can be done (although I avoid it), - - but in no way gives the professional look of a 'glazed' corner.

Cutting a 45* on an inside corner?? That would be rare. Why?? The face of the tile meets either way.

#11 ·
If the tile isn't manufactured that way, that's what you resort to.
How else do you do your corners? caulk them? yuck! Only in a bathroom do I caulk corners.
Or worse, leave an edge showing on corner

I've cut 45s on corners a few times and customer liked detail

If it has to be perfect corner. Sell a Laufen tile. I know for a fact they have outside/inside corner pieces.

If you want to get fancy, Check out Schluter "Rondec" for outside corners and "Dilex" for inside corners and movement/control joints

#13 ·
you'll find that cutting tile at 45s on inside corners the tile butts up nicely. Just cut real slow to prevent chipping

outside corners and wall to floor line use Schluter piece

#15 · (Edited)
They do still sell inside 1/4 bullnose, just nowadays you have to go to a tile store to get them... HD and etc don't carry em. IF you find a decent dude at HD, they will order you some though. I have had to 45 a few in my time but its sorta like crown, you are taking off from the back and the face won't have that sharp edge, unless you are trying to run it though too fast.

Anyhow, they do still make em, just takes some digging, the new thing is no bullnose except on showers.

Oh ya, the peice is called a cove outcorner or cove incorner, bullnose isn't baseboard, cove is.

EDIT : Here's an example, lots of manu's still make em. http://www.virginiatile.com/com_ProdTerra.php

#16 ·
They do still sell inside 1/4 bullnose, just nowadays you have to go to a tile store to get them... HD and etc don't carry em.

I am referring to my local tile store.

Yes, - - I'm sure there are manufacturers who still make them, - - but there are also plenty who don't.

When my customers pick out the tile they like, - - it's by look, not by manufacturer.

#19 ·
MD, is this what you're talking about? I have these in my bathroom, circa 1966 home. I don't have a camera right now or I'd take a picture of it.

#26 ·
Now I see what you are referring to. Those would be nice to have. It seems with the preferences today we can't even get outside corners 99% of the time. I can probably win the lottery before I ever found an inside corner available in tile we install. Inside and outside corners like that now are all being forty-fived.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.