Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Large format porcelain

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Tech Dawg 
#1 ·
#14 ·
They are actually thin porcelain panels. They handle and cut like plate glass. They are flexible- they will conform to irregularities so a leveling system is required.

Also because they are some what flexible they need to have very good prep or they will show they underlying issues.

3MM is only for walls. 5mm can be used on some floors but only if the manufacturer rates them for such.

They require 100% coverage and you want to use Thixotropic mortars (3n1, Pro-Lite) with some of the EuroNotch trowels.

#20 ·
Did a bench seat display for tile supplier with 36"x36" cut down to 24"x30". Set it over WEDI board so surface was pretty flat to start. The cut edge was made smoother with a router type bit. To get full contact, it was recommended to use a orbital sander with buffer pad. I don't have an orbital so I bought an old blender and ran it over the tile. Seems to be holding up. Next time I'll add ice and mix some drinks to celebrate finishing. Big pita, imo.

It has it's place but the tooling requirements limit it's use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.