Grout Vs. Caulk?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #1

Trade: Electric
Rewards Points: 25

Grout Vs. Caulk?

A family member of mine recently had a bathroom remodeled (new shower, floor and wall tile, and counter top) and one of the things I noticed is that they guy used grout everywhere, even around the bath tub. He also did their kitchen and used grout between the tile and baseboard. Now, I don't know what's common practice to use grout where, and use caulk where, but I know for a fact that they make "tub & toilet caulk" and I think he should have at least used that around the tub, because now it's all cracked and getting rust stained.

Is this common practice or is this guy just a hack?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: GBC & Roofing ReM Comm & Res & Insured loss restoration
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Grout Vs. Caulk?

common, but contractor should have had his painter caulk the tub when they were punching out.

Tile guys don't do this. The grout needs to cure before you caulk. This would be a special trip back for the tile folks.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #3

Trade: Tile Contractor

Rule of thumb is all changes of plane and where disimlar materials meet should be caulked. They make sanded and non sanded color matched caulks for all grouts. Kitchen and bath silicone with mildewcide (I think thats the word) is best for caulking where the tile meets the tub. Using grout here will never ever last. Lazy tile guy, or just doesnt know any better.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #4

Trade: Electric

here are some pics

What you can't really see in the first two pics is the gap between the grout and tub, but it is basically like it is the the left of the red circle in the 3rd pic. and the grout is all discolored because of water getting in there and washing rust out. Even the grout between the floor and wall has been stained with rust from water dripping down. I understand him not wanting to come back 2 or 3 days later to caulk, because he'd be on to the next job, but shouldn't he have left these areas undone, and tell the HO that they need to caulk it themselves, or find somebody else to do it? Seems like an aweful lot of extra grout and work for an inferior product.

So now we are going to scrub and seal all the stained grout and either A) caulk over the grout around the tub, or B) chip out all the grout and caulk

Oh, also we're going to caulk between the tile and baseboard in the kitchen. There's some grout in there, but only in some spots.

Last edited by Liquid Force; 09-08-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Knowledge Factory

Trade: Certified Floorcovering Failure Investigator
Rewards Points: 500

He may not know any better. After all, he learned from someone, that learned from someone, that learned from someone, and not one gave away all the secrets, and some needed to find a shortcut to save time, to underbid the next guy, and taught that to the help. All not knowing any better. Ever seen a complete mess, and the contractor starts his speach..."I've been doing this for 30 years"
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Force View Post
tell the HO that they need to caulk it themselves, or find somebody else to do it? Seems like an aweful lot of extra grout and work for an inferior product.
The grout will make an excellent backer rod. Mask it on both sides and lay in a bead of white poly seam seal on. Because it has been a while, mildew might have set in, bleach it first.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Why would anyone have to come back 3 days later to chaulk? Grouting and caulking get done at the same time. Never heard of a painter caulking a tile setters tile job either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
Sweebs (06-22-2011)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

"chip out all the grout and caulk" You don't ever 'chip' grout out, even when you have to remove it. Use a grout saw. You don't want to be hammering any where near those tiles you don't want to replace.

Your guy just screwed up, there is no reason to wait 2 or 3 days to caulk, maybe an hour?, Less? And no professional would ever say to a customer, "Here's how to finish the job, where's my check?"

BTW, when you get to this point, fill the tub before caulking.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 09-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with hj1 and mike finley. He was to cheap to buy some caulk. But then you figure every tile guy has caulk in his truck bed.

Last edited by 747; 09-09-2007 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #10

Trade: Commercial and Residential Repairs and Renovations
Rewards Points: 10

I can caulk a tub in 8 to 10 minutes. That includes loading the gun. I don't understand how your tilesetter could possiably think he is saving time grouting all the areas you pointed out. Plus its useless. All that time tiling and he finishes it looking like that. Complain to the floor company and get some money refunded if possible. Good luck
Old 10-01-2007, 04:36 AM   #11
-

Trade: Self employed - hard surface installer

I agree with the others, that grout will crack in a months time. I grout and caulk the same day. Best thing to do is when you send a client out to pick out tile and grout make sure they know how much grout caulk will be needed...sanded, nonsanded or both. That's been saving me extra trips.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #12

Trade: caulking contractor
Rewards Points: 10

if he uses a latex caulk he can caulk it right away, since it's a water base caulk any other caulk (urethane or silicon ) has to be completely dry,just for future reference. I had to cut two joints out in the middle of the wall on my tile wall in the shower and replace with caulk due to the mortar cracking.

Last edited by pro-caulk; 06-22-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Why would anyone have to come back 3 days later to chaulk? Grouting and caulking get done at the same time. Never heard of a painter caulking a tile setters tile job either.
As a painter I can tell you ALOT of tile guys leave it for the painter. Including around the toilet. What gets painted there? I'd say fill the tub before caulking also.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: All construction, remodeling, home improvements
Location: Rochester, NY Elmira, NY, WNY, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier
Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by summithomeinc View Post
As a painter I can tell you ALOT of tile guys leave it for the painter.
And the painter has sanded color matched caulk to match the grout?

All change of plane gets caulk not grout
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

Hey, let's revive 4 year old threads
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Hey, somebody finally uses the search function ('cause around here they would have been slammed if they didn't).... finds a thread topic they are interested in, posts a comment in the thing and gets slammed for it.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #17
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
Hey, somebody finally uses the search function ('cause around here they would have been slammed if they didn't).... finds a thread topic they are interested in, posts a comment in the thing and gets slammed for it.
There's a time to revive and a time to start new. I didn't see any ground-breaking new info in the revived post.

Call me stupid but looks like a person just resurrecting a post based off their trade.

right back atcha.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Home Improvements/Handyman Services

Quote:
what else ya wanna do at 1:30 am? i did see it was old but hey why not?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #19
Archbishop of Titipu

Trade: Residential Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveivl View Post

Your guy just screwed up, there is no reason to wait 2 or 3 days to caulk, maybe an hour?, Less? And no professional would ever say to a customer, "Here's how to finish the job, where's my check?"

BTW, when you get to this point, fill the tub before caulking.
Really? Not doubting, just wondering - ave. tub maybe 40 gal, so maybe bout 300 +/- lbs of water. If tub is cast iron (massively heavy) I don't think it is gonna flex at all and if it's fiberglass/acrylic/plastic-whatever, and is properly set in mortar, then shouldn't flex. But of course, what if it does flex? Will anything bad happen when you add in a couple hundred lbs of water and couple hundred pounds of person and a flexible caulk was added w/o filling tub? I doubt it, but I am really just asking because I do not know. Seems like it 'could' bulge out a little ? ?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
There's a time to revive and a time to start new. I didn't see any ground-breaking new info in the revived post.

Call me stupid but looks like a person just resurrecting a post based off their trade.
Look, like most people, I prefer to follow the rules. Would you please point out to me, where in the forum rules it says where the cut off line is on when to stop using the search function and revive an old thread and when to start a new one?

I would never call you stupid. But if you would explain to us what is considered "ground breaking" and appropriate to post about and what's not, then we can't stop doing it. I mean if someone can't make a post in a thread based off of their trade.... then what in the heck is this place for and what are they/we supposed to be posting about? I truly don't understand sir.

The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
pro-caulk (06-22-2011)