Green Eboard

Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 500

Green Eboard

Has anyone tried this product as a tile underlayment yet?

http://www.greeneboard.com/

Last edited by orson; 07-25-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: updated dead link

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Green Eboard

Yes, I am very impressed with it. It cuts well with power or hand saws, you can score and snap, and if you score both sides you snap as little as an 1/8" off a full sheet. You can screw it or nail it. It is light and uses industrial waste in it's manufacture as an added bonus.

From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 07-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Rewards Points: 2,000

Yesterday there was a Green EBoard presentation here in Vancouver showcasing the product with its use in a tub shower or shower set up.

Michael from Laticrete was on hand to show the finer points of a Hydro ban install and we learned from both companies the benefits of their products.

I used both to build my daughters bathroom. Those of you that know me know I;m a research hound and I debated forever on what to use.

In the end I went with my best options in Tile Backer and Waterproofing and i am thrilled with the results.

I loved cutting the Green Eboard - It is much easier to cut than cement board. My guys like it because it's lighter and easier to carry. I like it the most because I can dig a hole and bury my offcuts if I choose. No harm to the soil - Bio Degradable - ECO Friendly.

Nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Green Eboard-back-lite-shampoo-niche-02.jpg  

Last edited by JohnFRWhipple; 03-08-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: DIYer apparently

does anyone have a picture of it??? just a real picture of it being used
Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile

I've used several pallets of the GreenE and I like it. Don't know what good a picture of it would be. It's white and comes in standard cement board sizes. It appears to do everything the makers say it will and it can be stapled to the substrate with 7/16" crown staples in addition to nails or screws. It is light weight scores and snaps clean and is easy to cut arcs with. No crumbles, little to no dust. I think it's a good product. The price is right too.
Attached Thumbnails
Green Eboard-063.jpg  
will be given a Free Mountain Due at our regular quiting time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
opiethetileman (07-25-2010), PrestigeR&D (07-25-2010)
Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Pro

bud do thoose shoes give ya trouble coming out the next day. Every time i use shoes on the floor they like to stay in there.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Tile Contractor

Quote:
bud do thoose shoes give ya trouble coming out the next day. Every time i use shoes on the floor they like to stay in there.
I don't use them too often on floors. But yes, they do stick sometimes especially if they have a little thinset on them from a previous use. Pliers remedies that problem pretty quick. In some cases you can kick them out.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Pro

didnt know if I had defective shoes too bud.. Ya know us florida guys have it rough enough
Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
Pro

Dan we are boarding a new project coming up and will be using some of the Green EBoard for sure.

The boys love it and it cuts easy.

We have just been scoring it of late and snapping or cuts instead of using the grinder. The board is much better for the environment and we have noticed that the dust is a little harsher than cement board.

Where your mask.

I boarded a total of 3 jobs with it now and like it. Dense and strong and has the texture and snapping properties some where between Wonder Board and Hardi Backer.

I'll be show casing the board some more with my Kitchen Counter Top Prep. I have worked out a way I think to catilever the board 10" off my Island and still hold strong like a solid surface stone. The Island counter will get 4"x4" White tile.

I'm going to be using some 1"x1" Steel Angle Iron to aid in this and will be using the Green EBoard (3 Ply) for the substrate.

What type of pictures do you want to see. I figured out how to do rapid fire shooting today.... Nice!

The Green EBoard Challenge - Can you palm a sheet up the stairs?
Attached Thumbnails
Green Eboard-screen-shot-2010-09-03-2.47.44-pm.jpg  

Last edited by JohnFRWhipple; 03-08-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 222

My love affair with Green Eboard is over.

Stuff is made in China
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
My love affair with Green Eboard is over.

Stuff is made in China
So is most of your stuff in your van Angus. Unlike Chinese made tools and metal this Green EBoard does the job.

I, like you try and purchase as little foreign product as I can. I have used Green EBoard now on 5 projects and when we went back to CBU on the last one to see the difference my Journeyman kept "Bitching"... He missed how easy Green EBoard cuts. We have just being scoring it with a baby Olfa razor blade and giving it a nice knee strike to snap.

I think this product might fall outside your normal parameters for product selection. Let me get a hold of Paul and Joe here in BC and see if they can't answer any of your concerns...

Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFRWhipple View Post
So is most of your stuff in your van Angus. Unlike Chinese made tools and metal this Green EBoard does the job.
Actually, John, very little in my truck or even my house if from China; by choice. There might be a few decent products coming from there but the majority of what they send and sell here is crap. The factories in China don't care about what they send here, just look at the drywall and kids toys as an example. Therefore, I choose to boycott as much China-made stuff as possible.

The problem is that manufacturers look to China for the cheap labor. As long as us Westerns keep buying, the labor will continue to happen in China. You cannot tell me that Green Eboard can't be produced elsewhere. Until it is, it's on my list of boycotted items. I don't care how good it is.
bluebird5 (03-09-2012)
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

How "green" is someone being if they use this Chinese made crap?Let's put aside the manufacturing plants in China and their notorious pollution output.
You don't use an American made product that does the same thing to have something shipped over here on cargo ships???And that's being "green"?

Keep drinking the "green" kool-aid....
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #14

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 10

Just for clarification the reason GREENE-BOARD is manufactured in China isn't because of cheap labour but because they developed the product. This isn't a situation where a North American manufacturer came up with an idea and then outsourced the manufacturing. This is a situation where North Americans are realizing what a good product it is and bringing it in.

Years ago the Chinese government sanctioned Beijing University to develop a building material using local resources. They produced a magnesium oxide based board. The qualities of the board were that it was light weight, moisture resistant, fire resistant, mould/fungus resistant, insect resistant yet still extremely durable. In China they use Magnesium Oxide based products for siding, soffit, drywall replacement, tile backer and underlayment. It's an extremely versatile building material.

What has changed with the product since North American companies have gotten involved is the consistency in quality. Most US and Canadian companies have to have a quality control agent in place to ensure that the product meets US and Canadian standards.

As far as being “environmentally friendly” it is my understanding that the complete process of manufacturing a magnesium oxide based product and even shipping it to North America leaves less of a carbon footprint then the manufacturing of cement based products. I don’t know how true this is but that is what is being said. You have to look at the process as a whole from the extraction of raw materials, the manufacturing of the product to the transportation methods used; not just one aspect of the process.

I do know that Canada has the second largest deposit of magnesium oxide, next to China, in the world and that as the demand for the product increases so does the likelihood of establishing a manufacturing facility in Canada. There were talks of this before the market took a turn for the worse.

Personally I hope manufacturing moves to Canada for these product because although some of them have made it into our marketplace (GREENE-BOARD, Magnum Board, Tyroc) I still haven’t been able to locate a MgO siding.

If you haven’t noticed I’m a bit of a fan of MgO products. I understand the gripe about it all being produced in China but I think it’s a fantastic substrate to tile over and I hope it catches on enough to warrant a facility being established in North America.

Check out Tyroc too as its pretty cool stuff in a basement. I’ve used it as well with tile and I love it and I think it is made in Canada.

Great stuff!

Last edited by NorthernSails; 11-11-2010 at 02:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernSails For This Useful Post:
JohnFRWhipple (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Pro

I have been working with the Green EBoard for some time now and really do like it much more than working with cement board.

I find it easier to cut and we have put the grinder away and simply using an Olfa and a snap.

I find the weight of Green EBoard comparable to Hardiboard - my boys like it more and tell me it's lighter. David was complaining on our last project when we needed 1/4" stock and used some Hardie Backer as he likes cutting Green EBoard way more.

I checked with Donnie at Centanni Tile and they do stock the 1/4" sheets. I never saw it but on my last visit I found their stash...

The smooth side of the Green EBoard takes drywall tie in's nicely and we are finding that the drywall screws counter sink well. instead of mushrooming when a fastner goes deep the Green Eboard gets like a sliver that knoicks off with the taping knife...

As far as the products production in China I have mixed feelings over.

I have been avoiding all tool purchases from Chinese made products as I'm finding that they don't hold up. And a 40 percent savings over my old tools costs does not make up for the fact these tools and blades are lasting for minutes and not months of service.

I worry as well about the quality of our homes fasteners and anchors. For my nails and tools I'm shopping in North America or Germany. For the rest of the house it's a grab bag of tried and true and Green related options.

I'm sure the greenest tile backer would be an old school mud job with locally made portland cement and sand. Depending on where you live you might be 200 miles from the cement board plant or the port. These local products may help you with LEED points.

Here in Vancouver much of our setting materials come from back east. This board comes by boat right to my back yard. I can see the ships coming in on my way to work.

Tough debate. So many variables

Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
Pro

A few shots of another Green EBoard renovation in deep cove. My team installed the line drain and build the showers pan and curb. My client asked me to recommend a good backer board and we suggested Green EBoard.

Looks like they followed my advice. I like the lower niche. I have not seen this done before and I'm told the lady of the house gets the credit as she wanted a place to rest her foot will shaving her legs...

I like the niche's stacked like this.

I came back to waterproof the walls with Hydro Ban only to find that the Green EBoard seams where not taped... I'll go do it myself today.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFRWhipple For This Useful Post:
HandyHails (01-18-2011)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Pro

Cutting Green EBoard.

You guys have got to try this Green EBoard. We where boarding this week and the framing was slightly out of wack. I tried carving the back side of the Green EBoard and it carved great. In no time I had the sheet shaved and the board sitting right. I like to see you do that with cement board!

Our current steam shower is built with Green EBoard and waterproofed with Noble Seal TS.

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Green Eboard-screen-shot-2012-03-09-6.25.47-am.jpg  

Last edited by JohnFRWhipple; 03-09-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Tile Contractor

I've been using Green E Board for more than three years. I like it! It is easy to work with in all respects and lightweight compared to cement board. It is in fact the only board of the (hard board family) that you really can score with a utility knife (one time) and break off clean like drywall. Very fast and clean to work with.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
I no spell good

Still made in China
Old 03-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
Pro

Angus we'll bring you around.