Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Got some design ideas for tile wainscoting?

12K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mike Finley 
#1 ·
I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for tile wainscoting in the area where the wainscoting meets the tile floor.

Up till now I've just let the two meet, but I'm trying to think about a fancier transition that isn't too much of a pain in the ass to do, nor too cost prohibitive. Some sort of nice thick tile base board? For tile base board I usually use the bull nose version of the flooring. I could run the tile wainscoting down to the tile flooring and then just thinset the bullnose onto the tile wainscoting I suppose, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other solutions, maybe making a more substantial transition?

#2 ·
mike, maybe use different thicknesses of hardie backer, to make the base stand out more, then you'd have a ledge to cap at the bottom, if you built it out enough, with several layers, almost stepping it, it might create a really nice look in the end. kinda like when you use several pieces of trim to add to the look of crown molding and when it's all done, it looks like one piece of crown. the options are limitless when it comes to all the diffeerent shapes and color of tile out there.

we don't get too many people around here that want a tiled wainscotting, we just use the wood on the walls and tile the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.