Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Glass tile cutting

20K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  detailhawk 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I was curious what your techniques are for cutting glass tile that has the color on the back only and a clear front.

I have found that using my wet saw and cutting the back of the glass 1/4 of the way through, then turning the tile normally and completing the cut from the front gives me the best cut.

I was watching a how to that said it was necessary to file or pollish all cut edges, then superglue them to prevent unseen cracks from transmitting. Wait at least an hour for it to dry, and then install the cut.

Do any of you go through this whole process? Or have any opinions on it? Seems over the top to me.

#8 ·
yeah go to glass store and buy a hand cutter. A good one is like $15
sometimes a new wheel on your snap cutter works good also. I do hit edges with polisher but no super glue. Cut just a hair big to alow for polishing. no grout in change of planes 100% silicone caulk only.

#13 ·
Best Work Practices - Cutting Glass Tile

Cutting Glass Tile can be a real pain in the rear. Without a glass blade the segmented blades tend to chip the glass as it cuts.

I purchased a premium glass blade for my wet saw that has no segments and is a hair thinner than my normal blades.

The real secret I have found is in the use of a wooden jig. When cutting glass tile they seem to want to fall below the cutting surface. We make up a little jig from some scrap plywood and make two cuts with a jig saw side by side creating a 1/8" - 3/16" saw cut.

Don't cut straight through the board. We use a board about 8"x8" and cut about 5" in. Place your glass tile on this board and you can use it to slide the tile and because of the narrow saw cut your tiles will not bend downwards.

After a grinder with a diamond grit polish pad will buff them up an can fine tune any cuts.

I gave up trying to cut full sheet of mosaics long ago and we prep the cut list as needed - one by one.

JW

#14 ·
I havent had problems with a regular blade on wet saw. Key is a good saw. If the table doesnt slide perfectly true, you will get chips.

I did a jacuzzi tub deck with the same type of glass tile you mentioned. The first few cuts I had problem with the colored coating chipping. I simply scored the coating with utility knife and cut up as close to line as possible. Then when I polished edges, anything left at the line was removed. Perfecto!!

Burnt up the motor on my saw on that job though!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.