Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Drain height issue

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  elementbldrs 
#1 ·
I went to tile a cement based existing shower floor and the plumber left the drain too low. The drain he used, the cover plate clips in and turns. Its not a screw on plate cover. Any brain waves how I can lift the drain up. I need min. a 1/4" maybe 3/8. I get the feeling I'm going to have to chip away the mortar bed and get down to the fitting. My guess the threads are full of mortar. I tried removing the square chrome plate and hoping I could adjust but it ain't budging. I was told the drain had adjustable threads to lift or lower it. Its 4" square so any wrench I require has to have 4 Inch wide jaws.
I believe this is the one that was used.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I went to tile a cement based existing shower floor and the plumber left the drain too low. The drain he used, the cover plate clips in and turns. Its not a screw on plate cover. Any brain waves how I can lift the drain up. I need min. a 1/4" maybe 3/8. I get the feeling I'm going to have to chip away the mortar bed and get down to the fitting. My guess the threads are full of mortar. I tried removing the square chrome plate and hoping I could adjust but it ain't budging. I was told the drain had adjustable threads to lift or lower it. Its 4" square so any wrench I require has to have 4 Inch wide jaws.
I believe this is the one that was used.
Did he know you were going to tile it? If so, call him back in.

#3 ·
I canned him for other miscues on the job. I had to call in another plumber to fix other errors. Then I go to tile and wham another. Getting trades back to fix issues is like pulling teeth. As long as its busy no one cares. Don't get me wrong the good outweigh the bad. Even my electrician has changed. My jobs were a few grand each in their pockets. They could care less to call back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.