Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

ditra heat mat

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  OVContractor 
#1 ·
Question. How many guys thinset the wires and dimples and let it set up for a day then tile over ditra heat. or, do you do it in one step. I have always used the two step method but think I am going to try the one step method on next job. Any drawbacks either way? The old systems with the fasteners and clips I always skim coated over wires then tiled next day. but I can see with ditra i may not have to.

thanks, mike

#5 ·
I'll use the flat of the trowel to get an even fill of the Ditra (like back buttering), then run my notch and lay in one step. As long as you are getting proper coverage you're good. There's no need to embed the wires with those awesome little concentric hexagons doing all of the hold down. Biggest time saver I've run into for some time

#6 ·
I haven't used Ditra Heat yet but a friend called with a problem with skimcoating the wires the night before. While setting he needed to remove a tile, the skimcoat thinset pulled up with the tile. It was a mess.

Has this happened to you? Does the wire pull off the mat if a tile is removed?

#9 ·
We've always done it in 2 steps, Although I can see the benefits of doing the skim coat and then just laying at the same time, but that seems like a lot of thinset that has to dry, and we've heard of other people having issues with it not drying and tiles moving up to 36 hours after the install. anyone else ever had this issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.