Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

cutting tile question

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Floordude 
#1 ·
I have a customer wanting about 100 sq ft of tile installed in a bathroom with a circular "garden tub" in the corner that I would have to cut around. Since using added trim is not really an option in this case how is the best way to cut to the tub in order to leave a reasonably nice grout line up next to it? The only similar cuts we usually make are up under the toilet where they will not be seen.
Thanks,
Dave C

#2 ·
i don't know why a window/siding guy is doing tile but ok we all need the work. pattern your tile. take some felt paper and lay a tile on it and cut the tile out of the paper. if you want you, add for the grout joint in the pattern and you can but it up against the set field tiles. cut the pattern to fit your tub. there are other ways to do this as well.

#5 ·
Yes the tub is installed (10 year old home). Good ideas for using templates to mark tile. I was more wondering what kind of cutter to use to cut the tile. We've cut tile similar but not a finish joint with a regular tile saw and the nippers but it's tough to do and especially to make look good. I thought of a 4" grinder but seems like it might be hard to be accurate with.

You are right, the joint should be caulked.

Thanks,
Dave

#12 ·
Thanks for the help guys, will keep the advice for down the road. Guess won't be doing this job, customer says 450 too much to remove carpet/trim, remove toilet, install backer, supply and install transition pieces, cut/lay tile, grout, cut off two doors, set toilet. Told her "good luck" finding someone that is going to do it right for less. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.