Commercial Ceramic Tile On Concrete Slab Removal

Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor-Commercial Construction

Commercial Ceramic Tile On Concrete Slab Removal

This is only my second post, I have used this site both for questions I have had in the field and as a starting point for research with my work in school. I am a commercial superintendent here in Denver and we are demo-ing a restaurant in a retail/office building. The original ceramic tile in the kitchen and bar areas is hard-as-rock tile on concrete slab. I had my guys remove the tile in the two bar areas with hammer drills and 1 1/2'' bits from Bosch. I couldn’t believe that Hilti wanted $204.61 for their 4" flex chisel bit? Anyways, the decision was made today to remove the rest of the tile (in addition to the bar areas we previously removed) and I was wondering, I know there is no EASY way, but I am looking for the most effective way to remove the tile and thinset/grout from the concrete slab. I searched the site and found some other posts dealing with small areas of ceramic tile, namely in entry ways and bathrooms, but the area I have to deal with is over 400SF. And as an added bonus, because this is an occupied building and we are right above a parking garage, the work has to be done after-hours.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile

Re: Commercial Ceramic Tile On Concrete Slab Removal

There are machines around. Some of them are even rideable.

For only 400 square feet however I would suggest the EDCO chipper. It is an air powered/stand-up-and-use demolition tool. Should be able to rent one.

Removing the tile and the thinset are generally two differnt tasks. No one-tool will usually do it all.

After chipping up the tile the floor can then be ground down smooth. Again, EDCO makes machines to do that also. I would suggest their carbide toothed rotating grinder.

No, I don't work for EDCO and yes, there are other tool makers that have similar tools. My experience with the EDCO tools has been good over the years.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #3

I saw "The Terminator" as a ride along machine but there is a possible weight problem as it is over 2700 LBS. I had trouble getting clearance from the structural engineer for a small scissor lift and that weighs 2500 LBS and the weight is more spread out. I was looking into the air chisels. Will have to let you know what route we go. Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #4

Trade: Flooring

You are likely done but you are on the right track. We use the big Bosch 113. There is a Thinset blade which is about six inches wide and if you go at things at an angle close to the ground you will pop the tiles up in arger pieces. Let the tool do the work. There is no easy way to do this. You should be charging about as much to take it out as you are to put it in.

Thanks, Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD40 View Post
This is only my second post, I have used this site both for questions I have had in the field and as a starting point for research with my work in school. I am a commercial superintendent here in Denver and we are demo-ing a restaurant in a retail/office building. The original ceramic tile in the kitchen and bar areas is hard-as-rock tile on concrete slab. I had my guys remove the tile in the two bar areas with hammer drills and 1 1/2'' bits from Bosch. I couldn’t believe that Hilti wanted $204.61 for their 4" flex chisel bit? Anyways, the decision was made today to remove the rest of the tile (in addition to the bar areas we previously removed) and I was wondering, I know there is no EASY way, but I am looking for the most effective way to remove the tile and thinset/grout from the concrete slab. I searched the site and found some other posts dealing with small areas of ceramic tile, namely in entry ways and bathrooms, but the area I have to deal with is over 400SF. And as an added bonus, because this is an occupied building and we are right above a parking garage, the work has to be done after-hours.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. When all was said and done, they decided to replace 1300 SF of tile in the kitchen area. We took the tiles up with Bosch hammer drills and 1 1/2" chisel bits. Took about 8 hours on a Sunday with three guys. Work was done on Sunday because of the other retail and office tenants and the noise from the Bosch's would have been pretty annoying. To remove the grout we rented two machines. One was a scarifer from Edco (took the grout down in 1/8' depths) the other was a dual disc grinder with diamond insets from EDCO as well. Between the two machines, my guys stripped the floor of grout in 8 hours with one laborer staying on top of the vacuums and dust control. Thanks for your help guys, and there is no easy way to do it, thats for sure.