Cleanup After Tile Job Is Done

Old 09-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: diy
Rewards Points: 10

Cleanup After Tile Job Is Done

I just finished my first tile job, and after the grout was dry (next day) I notice a shiny glaze on the tile, and grout ( did not notice this glaze when it was wet). It's not all over the tile or grout just bit's a pieces, and you can't even see this shiny glaze until you look at it just right.
I purchased Opticolor stain-free grout from one of the big box stores. I followed the instructions that came with the product, but i guess i didn't quite do good enough job.
This Opticolor stuff is made of three parts a resin, liquid hardner, and a color sand stuff.
Any clues on how to get rid of the shiny glaze. I was thinking about trying to scape this stuff off with a metal putty knife in the corner of the closetbut I'm afraid that might ruin the tile.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile
Rewards Points: 518

Re: Cleanup After Tile Job Is Done

Probably going to need a stripper by now. This may not be the place to get the information. Call the manufacturer.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

This is my first post here. I just found this place tonight while looking for a new floor stapler.

bqtchef, I just finished a bathroom tile job and used that very same grout system. Exactly the same result the day after. I came back to clean up the inevitable haze and found just what you describe. I cleaned it up with a mild solution of water and white vinegar (approx. 1/4 cup to 1 gal. of water) and a plastic scrub pad with the sponge inside (I can't recall the brand, but it was specifically designed for use on porcelain or ceramic). Used light to moderate pressure in a circular scrubbing motion and it worked like a charm. I then sponged it off like a normal haze job and it looks beautiful! No scratches either.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Tile Setter

Trade: Ceramic Tile, Marble, & Stone
Rewards Points: 75

Your Opticolor epoxy grout is made by Mapei, yeah? They also make a product called "Epoxy Grout Haze Remover".

The following link will give you the names of other products to try also...

http://www.laticrete.com/portals/0/tds/TDS198.pdf

Hope this helps!

- Bob