Cleaning Spacers - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Cleaning Spacers

Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 4,138

Cleaning Spacers

So when we tile we like to use the horse shoe spacers, they are so much easier to remove than the old style cross, the other thing is when climbing a wall with large format tile they do not squish.

So now the problem cleaning the thin set off a hard spacer, I tried all kind of things soaking in water, using a knife etc, then it came to me a rock tumbler so I bought one $10.00 and it works great, throw some rocks in (they came in the kit) then the spacers and water let it run and presto a day later clean spacers.

Then the bonus I now have polished rocks that are cool, the kit came with ear ring mounting, a necklace, and rings.
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning spacers-wp_20180520_001.jpg   Cleaning spacers-wp_20180520_002.jpg   Cleaning spacers-wp_20180520_003.jpg  
Bull Trout (05-20-2018), hdavis (05-21-2018), overanalyze (05-20-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (05-20-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,279

Re: Cleaning Spacers

Good thinking. I'm fine with soaking them, then scraping them with a painter's 5-in 1 tool (the combo scraper, can opener, roller cleaner, etc. (A great tool for removing some of the spacers, too.)

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 282

Neat idea. I put mine in a bucket of sulfamic acid to dissolve the thinset.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,396

I leave the mortar, gives the next job a nice hand laid look.....

Tom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (05-21-2018), Bedfordboy116 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 2,344

Been using an ultrasonic cleaner which makes it super simple. The MLT tiling system is easiest to use when clean since the stems are reused. The Tavy tile spacers are what I use the most, and are a major pain to clean any other way. My ultrasonic cleaner has a heater built in but it is good to start with warm water, then add some 409 cleaner. With zero effort they come out spotless. Also works great on carbs, jewelry, glasses, and anything else you can imagine. There are tricks to know though.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

Trade: Carpentry/Renovations
Rewards Points: 140

Very neat idea! Sometimes we forget the simplest things work the best! How much mortar do you usually get on your spacers? What I like to do is make a small grove on an angle with my putty knife in the grout line that way I get very minimal mortar on my spacers. It takes off just enough that it doesn't squish out when I lay the next tile down and keeps the spacer from stuck and clean.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Been using an ultrasonic cleaner which makes it super simple. The MLT tiling system is easiest to use when clean since the stems are reused. The Tavy tile spacers are what I use the most, and are a major pain to clean any other way. My ultrasonic cleaner has a heater built in but it is good to start with warm water, then add some 409 cleaner. With zero effort they come out spotless. Also works great on carbs, jewelry, glasses, and anything else you can imagine. There are tricks to know though.

Man I have no idea what part of the hood you tile in but my tile work does not involve needing a clean gun
B.D.R. (09-23-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthe6 View Post
Very neat idea! Sometimes we forget the simplest things work the best! How much mortar do you usually get on your spacers? What I like to do is make a small grove on an angle with my putty knife in the grout line that way I get very minimal mortar on my spacers. It takes off just enough that it doesn't squish out when I lay the next tile down and keeps the spacer from stuck and clean.
When I tile sometimes I will clean out between the tile using a spacer, also when using the horse shoes you have to lay one shim flat to form a cross so it can get thin set on it also the bottom legs of the shoe get some thin set.

Advertisement