CChicago Electric (Harbor Freight) 10" Tile Saw

Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #1

Trade: interior trim
Rewards Points: 25

CChicago Electric (Harbor Freight) 10" Tile Saw

Im looking to see if anyone has any feedback on this tile saw? I just got a add from harbor freight and the saw is on sale for $189.99 plus I have 20% off so I can get the saw for $150. Im looking to get this saw to do my brothers bathroom and eventually when I get my house to do some tile in there. So I dont tile everyday or else I would invest in a better saw. Let me know what yous think thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #2

Re: CChicago Electric (Harbor Freight) 10" Tile Saw

Here is a link to the saw...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95385
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Let me know what yous think
C'mon, man.

I wouldn't recommend that saw to an a$$hole.

Will it cut ceramic tile? Sure. But really. I'm sure a playskool hammer can set some nails too.

It doesn't make any sense to waste money on tools. Look for a used MK, Felker, Target, Pearl or whatever. That junk C.E. thing isn't gonna last. If you buy a quality saw, it can last 10+ years. Not to mention being able to get replacement parts if need be. Those kinds of saws are made to last.

Now wouldn't that be a smarter investment?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,118
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

I would rather spend the money on a GOOD score and snap. You can cut 4 times as many tile with a score and snap as any tile saw.

http://www.felkersaws.com/fc-tile-cutters.shtml

Cole

The boss of awesome
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole82 For This Useful Post:
RiverMan (07-31-2013)
Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,118
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

Watch this video.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The boss of awesome
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Sam

Trade: Wood Cork and Leather Flooring and more
Rewards Points: 500

My2 cents: if you are planning to do just two bathrooms, I suggest get a nice grinder and tile blades and dry cut all. Lately I see a lot of tile setters with dry cutting tools for small jobs. I have done a slate job last year with same way. (I don't do tile unless I absolutely have to and have to be small scale.)

Featuring Click Leather Floors
http://www.designershardwood.com
Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Making a living

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom remodel, general contractor
Rewards Points: 182

I'm a tool junkie. I never met a tool that I wasn't sure I needed. I own top quality tools for anything that I have to use on a regular basis. That said I own several harbor freight tools for things that I only use a couple of times a year. If I don't use a tool that often I rent it.

I agree with those who direct you to a good score and snap and the grinder with diamond blade. The other part of the equation is that you have to store the thing when you are done.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
I no spell good

All posts are good advice.

However, he's obviously worried about price. Good tile cutters are not cheap. Good grinders (with diamond blades) aren't cheap.

My tile cutter was almost $300. My grinder was almost $200. He could most likely find a decent (real) wet saw for around that price range.

I'm all for both but if he wants 1 tool that will cut almost every tile situation, he should consider looking at wet saws.

Last edited by angus242; 02-16-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #9

I actually have a brand new ryobi grinder that some one gave me and I would like to get a score and snap. I have helped a few ppl do tile and they used a score and snap for some cuts and it saves alot of time! What is a good tile wet saw I can get for less than $300 used. If I did tiling for a living I would def put out the money for a quality wet saw but I will prob only use it a few times a year. I would like to get a decent wet saw though as its always good to have.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
All posts are good advice.

However, he's obviously worried about price. Good tile cutters are not cheap. Good grinders 9with diamond blades) aren't cheap.

My tile cutter was almost $300. My grinder was almost $200. He could most likely find a decent (real) wet saw for around that price range.

I'm all for both but if he wants 1 tool that will cut almost every tile situation, he should consider looking at wet saws.
What tile cutter do you have?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
I no spell good

Quote:
What is a good tile wet saw I can get for less than $300 used..
If you don't need to cut anything larger than 12x12, search for a Felker TM-75. They can be found new for $300 or less. Only 14" capacity. Discontinued so not many left. Otherwise look on your local craigslist for any of the brands I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
What tile cutter do you have?
http://www.contractortalk.com/f73/si...-review-68046/
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
copper magnet

Trade: custom metal fabrication
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
C'mon, man.

I wouldn't recommend that saw to an a$$hole.

Will it cut ceramic tile? Sure. But really. I'm sure a playskool hammer can set some nails too.

It doesn't make any sense to waste money on tools. Look for a used MK, Felker, Target, Pearl or whatever. That junk C.E. thing isn't gonna last. If you buy a quality saw, it can last 10+ years. Not to mention being able to get replacement parts if need be. Those kinds of saws are made to last.

Now wouldn't that be a smarter investment?
I guess I'm an a$$hole.

I bought one 10+ years ago to cut some 1 1/2" thick marble I'd salvaged. Didn't think I'd need it again when I finished that job. I was actually surprised at what I got for so little money. It gets infrequent use, but when we pull it out, it gets used hard. Besides the marble patio (600 ft sq), several brick sidewalks, and a couple of kitchens and baths, we've probably done 10-15 tile roofs with it.

If I were in the tile business, I wouldn't have looked at it twice. But an equivalent capacity saw made by the companies mentioned above would have cost 3x as much. I agree about shopping for used, but that was not an option when I bought mine.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,959

Last week I borrowed that same saw froma friend to do tile in my bath and kitchen. This was after I used another friends brand new JUNK ryobi saw for my first bath. He ended up taking that junk back to the Depot. I was very hesitant about that Chicago Tool saw as I have never had any luck with anything ever purchased at Harbor Freight. I have to say I was impressed. Table is very solid and I was cutting 16 inch tile with no breakage. I would probably buy one myself for future use if my friend didn't already have one. For you professional guys maybe not, but for the occasional tile setter I can honestly say it worked very very well.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
I guess I'm an a$$hole.
Good thing I didn't recommend it to you!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 2,712

I guess my question, if a guys only doing one or 2 small projects, why not just rent a high quality tool for a half day & get professional results & spend less money?

When I tiled our kitchen, I laid all the field tiles & at the end of the day, went to the rental yard & rented a wet saw & had all the cuts made in less than 2 hours. Less than $50 investment & didn't have a junk tool that I'll hardly ever use taking up valuable storage space.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
I guess my question, if a guys only doing one or 2 small projects, why not just rent a high quality tool for a half day & get professional results & spend less money?

When I tiled our kitchen, I laid all the field tiles & at the end of the day, went to the rental yard & rented a wet saw & had all the cuts made in less than 2 hours. Less than $50 investment & didn't have a junk tool that I'll hardly ever use taking up valuable storage space.
I just figured for $150 why not? It looks very sturdy and heavy duty! I always thought you can never have enough tools! Like I said before if I did it for a living I wouldnt even think about this saw and would be getting a top quality saw! As for renting one im sure I will be using it more than twice especially when I get my own house! As for taking up valuable space how much space does will it really take up?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,106

Quote:
I just figured for $150 why not? It looks very sturdy and heavy duty! I always thought you can never have enough tools! Like I said before if I did it for a living I wouldnt even think about this saw and would be getting a top quality saw! As for renting one im sure I will be using it more than twice especially when I get my own house! As for taking up valuable space how much space does will it really take up?
Mikey, I know of several tile setters that have that saw, and claim it works very well for them. I would not hesitate to buy.

I have found guys, that HF quality has come way up in the last few years. I have bought many tools from them that are occasional users, and have not been dissatisfied yet.

I think their tools are becoming more competitive because so many of the better tools are being now made in China, and I think they have tranferred the technology from one co to another. I wouldn't be suprised that one manufactoror is making alot of these tools.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
Mikey, I know of several tile setters that have that saw, and claim it works very well for them. I would not hesitate to buy.

I have found guys, that HF quality has come way up in the last few years. I have bought many tools from them that are occasional users, and have not been dissatisfied yet.

I think their tools are becoming more competitive because so many of the better tools are being now made in China, and I think they have tranferred the technology from one co to another. I wouldn't be suprised that one manufactoror is making alot of these tools.
Ok thanks! I think I prob will get this and just get a good quality blade for it. Now can someone tell me a good blade to get?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
I no spell good

All Chicago Electric are low-quality, low-cost tools marketed for home owners or DIYers. They are not "contractor" grade tools. They don't have a great reputation. Don't listen to me or someone who knows someone that uses it. Do your own search online for Chicago Electric Power Tools.

I also don't understand a professional purposely buying low-grade tools. I'm not going all Warner/Festool here. I gave a few options, as did others, to spend under $300 for a GOOD way to cut tile. I'm not suggesting you buy a $1500 saw

I know any tool can break down. However, that is why I suggest a manufacturer like Felker, MK or similar. They make replacement parts for their saw that are readily available at dealers (or online sources).

Would a professional musician buy an electric guitar from Walmart?
Would a professional photographer buy a camera from Radio Shack?

Mikey, I'm not trying to be ignorant here. You asked for opinions in the Tile section. I'm giving you mine. Don't do it just because of price. Have you ever tried a decent saw before? If you have a large tool store around your area, go play with a few different ones first. Without even starting the motors, you'll instantly feel a difference. However, do what you will.

As for blades for CE (kinda like putting Goodyear slicks on a stock 1983 Mustang GT), all of the brands I mentioned for saws make quality blades too. Blades need to be regularly conditioned.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #20

Quote:
All Chicago Electric are low-quality, low-cost tools marketed for home owners or DIYers. They are not "contractor" grade tools. They don't have a great reputation. Don't listen to me or someone who knows someone that uses it. Do your own search online for Chicago Electric Power Tools.

I also don't understand a professional purposely buying low-grade tools. I'm not going all Warner/Festool here. I gave a few options, as did others, to spend under $300 for a GOOD way to cut tile. I'm not suggesting you buy a $1500 saw

I know any tool can break down. However, that is why I suggest a manufacturer like Felker, MK or similar. They make replacement parts for their saw that are readily available at dealers (or online sources).

Would a professional musician buy an electric guitar from Walmart?
Would a professional photographer buy a camera from Radio Shack?

Mikey, I'm not trying to be ignorant here. You asked for opinions in the Tile section. I'm giving you mine. Don't do it just because of price. Have you ever tried a decent saw before? If you have a large tool store around your area, go play with a few different ones first. Without even starting the motors, you'll instantly feel a difference. However, do what you will.

As for blades for CE (kinda like putting Goodyear slicks on a stock 1983 Mustang GT), all of the brands I mentioned for saws make quality blades too. Blades need to be regularly conditioned.
Yea I understand what your saying and appreciate your help. I will look around on ebay and craigslist for the above brands you listed. I would like it to cut bigger than 14" tile though as you said maybe the Felker TM-75. I would like to be able to cut a little bit bigger say up to 20". Is that the size going it to the bathroom NO but like I stated I woudl like to be able to use it at my house eventually when I get one and would prob like to do a bigger tile than 14". Like my brothers downstairs he did 21x21 and I love them!