Builder Didn't Seal Grout In New Home - Is This A Common Practice?

Old 03-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Trade: Handyman & Light Remodeling
Rewards Points: 302

Builder Didn't Seal Grout In New Home - Is This A Common Practice?

Hi folks,

Last week a customer called me to have me seal the grout in his home, which is new construction. Turns out the builder didn't seal any of the grout in the house. He intentionally left this up to the clients, even telling them which product to use to seal it. And FWIW, it doesn't sound like this was a pre-arranged, agreed-upon thing. The clients were a bit surprised that they couldn't just move in and use their new shower.

So here's my question: is this a standard practice for new construction, or was this just a cost-savings measure taken by the builder?

Thanks,

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,428

Re: Builder Didn't Seal Grout In New Home - Is This A Common Practice?

Unmodified or treated grout has been around for hundreds of years. It's my understanding that it takes about 20 minutes of water to actually penetrate to the back surface. There are penetrating sealers or topical sealers that could change the color.

Obviously nowadays we have Superior grout pre-mixed with stain resistance. Lot of the waterproofing methods we use now are redundant as extra precaution.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,428

I don't think anybody could answer your question about standard practice. Most of the people I know and myself use power grout which is already treated

Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 9,908

Conventional sanded or unsanded portland based grout?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #5

Thanks, guys - I appreciate the replies.

I haven't done the job yet and I'm not sure what kind of grout. I just know that in this situation the builder himself said the grout should be sealed before use. So presumably he used grout that needs sealing, yet for whatever reason is leaving it to the client to do that.

I'm trying to keep an open mind & not assume the worst. But to me it's like saying, "Oh - you wanted a head on that shower? You're going go have to install that yourself," or, "Oh - you wanted stain on that trim? You're going to have to do that yourself."

Please correct me if my thinking is off, here.

Thanks!

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
Old 03-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 9,908

My answer in the form of a question: Why do YOU think it needs to be sealed?
MarkJames (03-07-2018), TNTSERVICES (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 9,015

It can take a few days for adequate curing and sealing, depending on products. I've seen plenty that time didn't allow for it.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

I think what you're saying is that I should contact the builder, find out what kind of grout was used, and formulate my own opinion as to whether it should be sealed? If so, I can do that. The job isn't scheduled until the end of next week.

Thus far I haven't, though. It was a random call that came in from a guy who said, "Hey - can you seal my grout? The builder didn't do it but said it needed to be done and even told me which product to use."

My original question was really just whether or not this is a common practice - leaving it to the customer to seal the grout? But so far replies suggest there may not be a standard practice.

Thanks,

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
Old 03-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 12,965

It's probably basic cement-based grout since the builder mentioned it. No big deal. Seal it, if you want. Folks have been using tiled bathrooms for ages without getting them sealed, anyway.

It's not common practice around here. Most tile guys still won't even mention it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by svankirk View Post
I think what you're saying is that I should contact the builder, find out what kind of grout was used, and formulate my own opinion as to whether it should be sealed? If so, I can do that. The job isn't scheduled until the end of next week.

Thus far I haven't, though. It was a random call that came in from a guy who said, "Hey - can you seal my grout? The builder didn't do it but said it needed to be done and even told me which product to use."

My original question was really just whether or not this is a common practice - leaving it to the customer to seal the grout? But so far replies suggest there may not be a standard practice.

Thanks,

Steve
Simply Renewed Spaces
If you wanna make a buck, seal it. If you donít, make a stink about it on the interwebs and with the builder. Your choice.

Advertisement