Bought A New Ridgid Tile Saw...any Reviews Here?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling

Bought A New Ridgid Tile Saw...any Reviews Here?

Went and bought a new toy this a.m. We have a little bit of tile to do on the current project, most of it is 20"x20" and I have sections that need bevel and miter cuts so it's more than my small 7" "table top" saw can handle. We dont do alot of tile every year, but seems the tile we do tackle, i find myself renting the bigger unit from the rental company just because it speeds cutting/installation time and is alot easier to cut the tile....BUT, beings how it's coming from a rental store, many times the pump is hardly working, blade is shot, plus the $200/day expense so I just said the heck with it, i'll buy a "decent" bigger tile saw and when i got to the store, this little unit seemed like it had a TON of features i'd use/love so decided to pull the trigger....should make tiling alot funnier for sure. PLUS, i still have my upstairs bathroom to tile with alot of cuts on bigger tile, this way there wont be any rush....not that i dont rush my home projects, but i wont have a $200/day rental fee hovering over me any longer

All set up and ready to work. Extended table to catch water on larger tiles, head bevels, miter guage angles, 2 way water divertor for sending water to the blade OR it has a hose to clean off the table top. Built in debris catcher under the table that cathces chunks, but allows the water to drain back. Then the water tray underneath has multiple filtering steps to make sure no crap filters back to the completely seperate "water holding tank"...so IF i wanted to, I could run a hose from under the water tray and have it recirculate back to the holding tank, but i will just have it drain straight down into a bucket since i prefer fresh water at all times...my other tile saw I bought extra hose so i could put fresh water in a bucket and have 5 gallons of clean water so hoses did'nt get gunked up, filter in pump did'nt get gunked up.

Folds up really nice, should make transport and hauling much easier!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned

Re: Bought A New Ridgid Tile Saw...any Reviews Here?

Oh boy....you missed this one:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f73/ne...wet-saw-25462/

Old 02-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Pro

LOL, well, that was a bunch of mixed reviews. Like any tool on here, since I'm already vested into putting the dang thing together, i'll use it on this job to see what i think. Over the years I've learned to give each new tool a chance, and i realize there will be teething issues at first, but i try my best to keep and open mind and see what i can do to "fix" any short falls, or find out what other's are doing wrong that makes it "junk" in their opinion....

Seems alot of "junk" tools/materials, at least half of the problems have been users/installer issues...not tool or material issues.

We'll see what happens, like i said, we dont do alot of tile, but i prefer to keep it in house for the simple fact the so called "tile contractors" around this area by and large suck ballz, I've torn out finished jobs (according to them) and redid it ourselves because it looked like crap, and the worst part, when tearing out some of these guys work, i find out they hacked together the substrate...so i just prefer to do the work in house...pretty much given up on finding anybody, even other businesses that are as finicky as i am.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
"tile contractors" around this area by and large suck ballz

Well, I have used one (not mine) and I didn't really like it. Does it work? Yes...mostly. My advice, put a really good blade on it and don't bother turning on the laser!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post

Well, I have used one (not mine) and I didn't really like it. Does it work? Yes...mostly. My advice, put a really good blade on it and don't bother turning on the laser!
LOL, lasers....cant remember the last time a tool did'nt come with some sort of laser and I dont ever remember using them....fricken gimic that's just too impractical for any precise cutting.

i'm brining my small saw too so i'll run the stock blade, see how badly it chips out the tile, and if need be i'll just swap blades since i have a nice one in there...worst part, I had a new blade in my hand since i figured stock it'd be junk
Old 02-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Construction

Your not a pro unless you buy the Dewalt Tilesaw
Old 02-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Working

Trade: GC
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

Hope you like it Josh.

I am spoiled though my Dad is very good at tile and did a lot of it when in biz (retired). So the only tile saw I have ever used is a Felker Tile master. I can tell you the blade is the most important part. Buy a REALLY nice blade.
http://www.felkersaws.com/tile-maste...tile-saw.shtml

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
I no spell good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
Dang, what does that make me now that I sold mine
Old 02-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
Hope you like it Josh.

I am spoiled though my Dad is very good at tile and did a lot of it when in biz (retired). So the only tile saw I have ever used is a Felker Tile master. I can tell you the blade is the most important part. Buy a REALLY nice blade.
http://www.felkersaws.com/tile-maste...tile-saw.shtml

Cole

I started with a felker FPC 19 which i was using today. Great cutter for doing basic cuts and of course much faster than the tile saws. I aint normally a Dewalt person but i have to say their tile saw is pretty impressive. I looked at the felkers and MK's and ended up with the dewalt. But that Ridgid looks fine for the money but i have never seen one in person to say if they are any good or not.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Working

Quote:
I started with a felker FPC 19 which i was using today. Great cutter for doing basic cuts and of course much faster than the tile saws. I aint normally a Dewalt person but i have to say their tile saw is pretty impressive. I looked at the felkers and MK's and ended up with the dewalt. But that Ridgid looks fine for the money but i have never seen one in person to say if they are any good or not.
Yeah kind of like some people only buy Ryobi or Dewalt. Pops only bought Felker the score and snap and the tile master. If it said Felker he had it.

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
I no spell good

Quote:
I owned the Dewalt for about 3 years. I sold it because as I started doing more and more tile, I started having trouble making a straight cut with it. I put on a new (good) blade and still had trouble. There are no adjustments on it either.

I sub for a guy that does tile and he owns the Ridgid. I don't like it. Definitely a step below the Dewalt but probably good enough for occasional use. As I said, the stock blade is JUNK. I also noticed issues trying to do a 22.5 or 45 beveled cut.

I now have a Felker TM XL and it is awesome. Heavy, but awesome. I'm looking for a smaller saw to do backsplashes or powder rooms.

For blades, I have not found a better one than the Raimondi T3.
Metro M & L (11-24-2012)
Old 02-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
Pro

I aint had no problem cutting straight cuts but then again i have only had it for a few months. It cuts straight enough for me to tile upto metal tile edgeing and have a perfectly straight butted join so for me thats more than accurate. For now anyway
Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
I no spell good

Quote:
I aint had no problem cutting straight cuts but then again i have only had it for a few months. It cuts straight enough for me to tile upto metal tile edgeing and have a perfectly straight butted join so for me thats more than accurate. For now anyway

Mine did fine for the first 2 years and then it went crazy. I pulled it apart to see if maybe a bearing was going bad or something but the shaft had no play in it whatsoever. I'm sure it was something goofy but regardless, I needed a new saw.

I'm thrilled with the Felker and while I won't bad mouth the Dewalt, the Felker's Baldor motor is vastly superior to the motor on the Dewalt. But overall, the Dewalt is a very nice saw and I was happy with it.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring

Quote:
Damn...guess I'll just throw the Felkers away and start flippin burgers
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
Pro

I do maybe 2 tile jobs a year, every year for us a certain type of project holds presidence, past couple years has been decks/garages, my first yr in business we did more bathroom remodels than i cared to imagine and just started bidding them outragious since i hated doing them....that's how how much i needed a $1500+ tile saw and given the past performance of "tile pro's" locally, i think i could break tile over a rock and produce better results that these Mc@uckup's that are supposedly "tile contractors" LOL!!

Realistically, I rarely used my old saw much for production runs anyhow, these saws are way to slow to make money with, to make money doing tile you need to be fast, nothing is as fast as the score and snap cutters...just the way it is, I'll cut 3-4 tile on the score and snap to every one saw cut tile by the time i load it up, then dry it off so it's ready to stick. I just wanted this because i have a bunch of bevel and beveled miter cuts coming up and I did'nt want to waste my time "grinding away" with my 4" grinder "sanding" in my own bevel. Any person using a tile saw for every cut, is cutting themselves out of profits (for standard tiles)
Old 02-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
i think i could break tile over a rock and produce better results that these Mc@uckup's that are supposedly "tile contractors" LOL!!
That is the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time.

It'll be fine Josh, like I said I hope you like it.

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82 View Post
That is the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time.

It'll be fine Josh, like I said I hope you like it.

Cole
I'll try anything once...cept gay stuff I just figure screw it:

better than my current MK 7" saw which is small, and no moving table and i cant cut anything larger than 12" tile due to size and teenie tiny arm that holds the motor over the table.

I dont tile everyday, so i'm not going to know any difference between a top of the line unit some of these boyz are used to playing with vs this thing...cuz it's better than what i own of this size-nothing

Once we fire it up, there may be teething issues, I fully accept that and have always been open to working through them/figuring things out to make the next time better....if i can use it for 2 yrs without much input, i just saved myself half as much again as i just paid for it- WIN

I'll use this saw for every cut on this job so i can get aquainted with it, otherwise i would just use my score and snap cutter because I'm under no pressure to get this job whipped out, so i'm taking full advantage of going back the the roots of "trying to actually enjoy my job" for a change...hard to do that when you have jobs lined up back to back as we all know, but this is my slow time, I typically do not work for 5 months a year, so this is all just gravey money

If it works, great, if it's a hunk of crap- I dont care. But i'll be real honest, any opinon i read that included anything about the "laser not being accurate or needing constant adjustiment"....I'm going to make the caddy assumption those guys are newbies/inexperienced since i know of NO tradesman that uses or leaves any factory equiped "laser" on their tools...they're a gimic for the clueless/handyman/homeowner since shiney sells the product...hence me not putting much stock in the opinons of these certain types of member reviews

IHI- jerk? or just saying what other's are thinking but don't want to be rude?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring

Warner will have a damned fine argument with you concerning the laser on that Kapex, I bet . I hear ya though. 99 times out of a 100 lasers suck, and you can't see 'em in any kind of sunlight anyway
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 02-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
Warner will have a damned fine argument with you concerning the laser on that Kapex, I bet . I hear ya though. 99 times out of a 100 lasers suck, and you can't see 'em in any kind of sunlight anyway
If a guy wants to put his cut in the trust of a laser mounted to a cutting tool, that's on them. I just know of the miter and skill saws I've used, it's the first piece i throw in the trash or give to my kid to play with...i'll take the extra second to make sure my cut is going to be right vs trusting a gimic...how many laser lines have we all seen that get narrower/wider at different distances? go invisible in certain lighting scenario's....just not a toy that i'm comfortable in putting any trust into, and i'm ye to meet anybody working on jobs that will vouge for them either....but there is always exceptions to the rules....
Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
Damn...guess I'll just throw the Felkers away and start flippin burgers

I take it you didnt read this thread then. Your not a pro unless you use dewalt