Bathroom Tile Layout

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #21
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 597
Rewards Points: 8

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by RookiePlumber View Post
Can I switch to your 1/3, 2/3,
full tile layout on the other three walls and not look weird? I'm not going to undo what I've done already.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't want to put thinset directly over top drywall mud.

Changing the layout now would look horrible.
Big Johnson is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (09-07-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 09-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #22
Member
 
RookiePlumber's Avatar
 
Trade: HVAC install and repair
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 73
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
You don't want to put thinset directly over top drywall mud.



Changing the layout now would look horrible.


How quickly after I apply primer can I tile?

Primer says touch dry 30 min, recoated 1 hour, full adhesion and hardness 7days.


Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RookiePlumber; 09-07-2017 at 07:44 AM.
RookiePlumber is offline  
Old 09-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #23
Member
 
RookiePlumber's Avatar
 
Trade: HVAC install and repair
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 73
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


How big should the gap be between the bottom of the wall tile and the floor tile.

I'm using 3/16 grout lines. Is that the gap I should shoot for?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RookiePlumber is offline  
   
 
Old 09-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #24
Pro
 
Xtrememtnbiker's Avatar
 
Trade: General Remodeling
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,296
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by RookiePlumber View Post
How big should the gap be between the bottom of the wall tile and the floor tile.

I'm using 3/16 grout lines. Is that the gap I should shoot for?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure. We haven't gone larger than 1/8" in a long time but we usually match the corner to the field.
Xtrememtnbiker is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:44 AM   #25
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,072
Rewards Points: 2,282

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


You can prime or use a good topical waterproofer. I like the waterproofer better as it was designed for thinset to adhere to it.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:46 AM   #26
Accidental Painter
 
Driftweed's Avatar
 
Trade: Who's paying?
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,262

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Stop the project right now. You need to do more research dude. That's a shower surround, why did you not take a day and go back to studs?

Hardie is cheap and well worth it. Would have only cost ya an extra 2 days at best. Plus you could have flattened those walls while they were open. You're making it unnecessarily hard on yourself and you don't know it.

I am not trying to be hard on ya, i just want you to learn the correct way. A snap cutter will cut those tiles and you can do whole rows at a time. Do you have a plan for cutting around your shower head and valves?

Think the whole project through to the end. Watch some youtube videos from actual pro's, read a book or 3.

Take your time and learn proper methods and techniques on this one where quality can be lacking and you will have added a service you can provide and do well and make decent $$.

Unwaterproofed drywall in a shower is asking for trouble. I am no expert by any means, but i have watched dozens of hours of videos, read the TCNA manual, and multiple books and learned quite a bit for a shower I am doing in a few weeks.

What are you gonna do when the spacers exploit the mis shape of the cheap tile?? Expansion joints (a.k.a. your corners)? Since your tile wont be level with the drywall, what are you gonna do about that exposed edge, are you using bullnose or something else?

I hope this turns out well, but it look like your in for a hell of a fight.
__________________
www.callbathdoctor.com
Driftweed is offline  
Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 AM   #27
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,072
Rewards Points: 2,282

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post
Stop the project right now. You need to do more research dude. That's a shower surround, why did you not take a day and go back to studs?

Hardie is cheap and well worth it. Would have only cost ya an extra 2 days at best. Plus you could have flattened those walls while they were open. You're making it unnecessarily hard on yourself and you don't know it.

I am not trying to be hard on ya, i just want you to learn the correct way. A snap cutter will cut those tiles and you can do whole rows at a time. Do you have a plan for cutting around your shower head and valves?

Think the whole project through to the end. Watch some youtube videos from actual pro's, read a book or 3.

Take your time and learn proper methods and techniques on this one where quality can be lacking and you will have added a service you can provide and do well and make decent $$.

Unwaterproofed drywall in a shower is asking for trouble. I am no expert by any means, but i have watched dozens of hours of videos, read the TCNA manual, and multiple books and learned quite a bit for a shower I am doing in a few weeks.

What are you gonna do when the spacers exploit the mis shape of the cheap tile?? Expansion joints (a.k.a. your corners)? Since your tile wont be level with the drywall, what are you gonna do about that exposed edge, are you using bullnose or something else?

I hope this turns out well, but it look like your in for a hell of a fight.
That's not a shower wall. It's a vanity. Look closer, the armored cable coming through the hole above is a dead giveaway.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (09-08-2017), RookiePlumber (09-08-2017), Xtrememtnbiker (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #28
Member
 
RookiePlumber's Avatar
 
Trade: HVAC install and repair
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 73
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Yup it's a vanity wall.

My Shower walls are cement board, red-guarded 3x, kerdi linear sloped tray.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RookiePlumber is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RookiePlumber For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #29
Member
 
RookiePlumber's Avatar
 
Trade: HVAC install and repair
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 73
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Making progress.... took the tile baton off after 6 hours or so. Hopefully the mortar will hold.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RookiePlumber is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RookiePlumber For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #30
Accidental Painter
 
Driftweed's Avatar
 
Trade: Who's paying?
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 2,283
Rewards Points: 1,262

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


I apologize, rookie plumber..posting after a rough day and misread the thread.
__________________
www.callbathdoctor.com
Driftweed is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Driftweed For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (09-09-2017), TNTSERVICES (09-10-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #31
Member
 
RookiePlumber's Avatar
 
Trade: HVAC install and repair
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 73
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post


Thanks xtreme-mtn-biker! I bot some qep flat leveling clips bc hd stocked them. What a difference they make!!!

Btw, where do you ride? I ride the dh parks in the northeast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RookiePlumber is offline  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #32
Member
 
RookiePlumber's Avatar
 
Trade: HVAC install and repair
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 73
Rewards Points: 188

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


How tight do you guys make inside corners. I cut mine with 1/16 gap or maybe less. Is that too tight?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RookiePlumber is offline  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #33
Pro
 
Xtrememtnbiker's Avatar
 
Trade: General Remodeling
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,296
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by RookiePlumber View Post
Thanks xtreme-mtn-biker! I bot some qep flat leveling clips bc hd stocked them. What a difference they make!!!

Btw, where do you ride? I ride the dh parks in the northeast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's been a while since I've ridden sadly. Used to ride in the Richmond, VA area. Got married, had 3 kids, now I just work and keep up with life.

When the kids get older I would love to get back into it.
Xtrememtnbiker is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #34
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,072
Rewards Points: 2,282

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
It's been a while since I've ridden sadly. Used to ride in the Richmond, VA area. Got married, had 3 kids, now I just work and keep up with life.

When the kids get older I would love to get back into it.
You'll be too old and break something.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (11-19-2017), overanalyze (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #35
Pro
 
Xtrememtnbiker's Avatar
 
Trade: General Remodeling
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,296
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
You'll be too old and break something.
In 5 years I will be 30 and have a 10 year old. Dad and I started riding when I was about 15 I think and he would have been 45 or so.

I'll survive.
Xtrememtnbiker is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #36
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,072
Rewards Points: 2,282

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
In 5 years I will be 30 and have a 10 year old. Dad and I started riding when I was about 15 I think and he would have been 45 or so.

I'll survive.
I am 42...trust me when I say, you will hurt something.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
Xtrememtnbiker (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #37
Pro
 
Xtrememtnbiker's Avatar
 
Trade: General Remodeling
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,296
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
I am 42...trust me when I say, you will hurt something.
It is worth the risk. Dad and I had a blast. Neither of us ever got any serious injuries.
Xtrememtnbiker is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #38
Hair Splitter
 
TNTSERVICES's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 17,072
Rewards Points: 2,282

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrememtnbiker View Post
It is worth the risk. Dad and I had a blast. Neither of us ever got any serious injuries.
Not meant to discourage at all...just warning to be ready with the icy hot.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTSERVICES is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
Xtrememtnbiker (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #39
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,075
Rewards Points: 4,574

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
I am 42...trust me when I say, you will hurt something.


Hell yea, I am 41 and when you hurt something you realize that you are not young and invincible anymore


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #40
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 2,392
Rewards Points: 2,390

Re: Bathroom Tile Layout


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Hell yea, I am 41 and when you hurt something you realize that you are not young and invincible anymore


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait till you're my age, the body scars before it actually happens.

Advertisement

avenge is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (09-13-2017)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
beadboard wainscotting for bathroom MarkJames Finish Carpentry 10 05-26-2013 07:21 PM
Ready for Tile Bob. Tiling 1 11-18-2012 06:30 PM
Feedback on 1st bathroom tile job danny7633 Tiling 37 08-14-2010 09:54 AM
Putting Tile in My Bathroom SHAWNPAINTS Flooring 24 01-11-2009 01:52 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?