Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered User
 
AV656's Avatar
 
Trade: general contractor
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Does any one have a good alternative to Kerdi, had issues with this product.
AV656 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Oh no... Here we go again

Advertisement

__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


This will probably get moved to the Ceramic section by a mod but welcome to CT!
Check out Noble Company, Laticrete shower systems and water proofing and other companies like Custom, Bostik and Mapei make various waterproofing products as well... All good stuff cept JDub might stop to bash the new Lati-Drain and then this will mostlikely escalate into a full blown waterproof argument of what rules
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
JWilliams (06-17-2012)
   
 
Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Groutface
 
Groutface's Avatar
 
Trade: flooring installer
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: windsor ontario
Posts: 824
Rewards Points: 524

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Welcome aboard....no comment!
Groutface is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Pro
 
JohnFRWhipple's Avatar
 
Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 3,020
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
This will probably get moved to the Ceramic section by a mod but welcome to CT!
Check out Noble Company, Laticrete shower systems and water proofing and other companies like Custom, Bostik and Mapei make various waterproofing products as well... All good stuff cept JDub might stop to bash the new Lati-Drain and then this will mostlikely escalate into a full blown waterproof argument of what rules
The new Laticrete drain looks great. Except for the sharp edges and the fact it's hard to remove from the insert (tile in version is the one I have). Both problems easily fixed and I'm sure will be rectified on the next production run. What Laticrete's Drain has got going for it the most is a complete system from drain to grout. That's hard to beat. I'm not sure any other company can say the same.

Haven't seen the new pre-slope hydro pan shower kits yet but I'm sure I won't like them since I don't care for the Kerdi, Wedi or Noble ones either. Foam should keep your beer cold not support your tiled shower floor. Just saying.

JW

Last edited by JohnFRWhipple; 06-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.
JohnFRWhipple is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFRWhipple For This Useful Post:
Floormasta78 (06-21-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Pro
 
JohnFRWhipple's Avatar
 
Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 3,020
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Quick Drain USA also has a Tub to Shower or Shower kit available. I prefer this honeycomb pre-slope vs the foam. This way you get a stronger floor and one that can handle more compression. I would first install a second layer of 5/8" plywood and make sure that the subfloor is tile ready before installing the quick slope.

Noble Company has a very easy linear drain to work with and membranes that can cover your shower floor in one piece.

Mapei's Aqua Defence is one of my favourite shower systems with luxury drains and linear drain installations.

You can even get kits like the AKW Tuff form for easy barrier free showers. Again care with subfloor preperation and blocking is key.

Their is also a whole slue of ready made shower pans but most of us here like tiled shower floors.

Maybe consider doing the shower floor in one large piece of stone or granite?

JW
JohnFRWhipple is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFRWhipple
Quick Drain USA also has a Tub to Shower or Shower kit available. I prefer this honeycomb pre-slope vs the foam. This way you get a stronger floor and one that can handle more compression. I would first install a second layer of 5/8" plywood and make sure that the subfloor is tile ready before installing the quick slope.

Noble Company has a very easy linear drain to work with and membranes that can cover your shower floor in one piece.

Mapei's Aqua Defence is one of my favourite shower systems with luxury drains and linear drain installations.

You can even get kits like the AKW Tuff form for easy barrier free showers. Again care with subfloor preperation and blocking is key.

Their is also a whole slue of ready made shower pans but most of us here like tiled shower floors.

Maybe consider doing the shower floor in one large piece of stone or granite?

JW
I thought the Noble preformed pans were honey comb...? Why don't you like those ones? You can use any clampdrain with them..
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Here's Tech Dawg's field test for foam whiners...

Kerdi curb
A bath tub platform that I use for skirt protection and standing
A 2007 Chevy Silverado, ext cab, long bed, Duramax Diesel

The pictures say it all... I personally don't care for Schluter but its obviously a strong product. That curb was left over from 2 years ago and sitting around. After driving on it, the 3/4" plywood cracked and the 2x4 separated from 2 of the 4 screws.
The curb did not crack... Only about a 3/16" depression where the wheel was sitting on it for approximately 5 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails
Alternative to Kerdi Shower kit-forumrunner_20120617_192537.jpg   Alternative to Kerdi Shower kit-forumrunner_20120617_192604.jpg   Alternative to Kerdi Shower kit-forumrunner_20120617_192646.jpg   Alternative to Kerdi Shower kit-forumrunner_20120617_192722.jpg   Alternative to Kerdi Shower kit-forumrunner_20120617_192757.jpg  

Alternative to Kerdi Shower kit-forumrunner_20120617_192830.jpg   Alternative to Kerdi Shower kit-forumrunner_20120617_192859.jpg  
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


...if a homeowner was as heavy as my truck, I'd most likely opt out of installing any product in their house... I'm just sayin'
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
tileman2000 (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
Here's Tech Dawg's field test for foam whiners...
That's no real world test. Who washes their truck in a shower?

Stupid soft foam has no place in this world


























__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Easy there Angus...
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Every now and then poster
 
ohiohomedoctor's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 13,436
Rewards Points: 3,544

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Alright Tech. First, that bumper didnt release until 2009. Furthermore, those headlights are way too clean for a 2007. Lastly, next time just create a thread that is titled, Look at my shiny new truck!

Nice truck!

Those curbs are great when filled with cement and set in, dare I say, modified thinset...
ohiohomedoctor is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Groutface
 
Groutface's Avatar
 
Trade: flooring installer
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: windsor ontario
Posts: 824
Rewards Points: 524

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Nerf shower system.........shame.......jester
Groutface is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor
Alright Tech. First, that bumper didnt release until 2009. Furthermore, those headlights are way too clean for a 2007. Lastly, next time just create a thread that is titled, Look at my shiny new truck!

Nice truck!

Those curbs are great when filled with cement and set in, dare I say, modified thinset...

In 07, only the diesels had that front.
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
If my PO asks,I set tile
 
Evan1968's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Tile Installs
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 688
Rewards Points: 1,160

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Foam? Foam? Cant have that in no showers. No way ,no how,no never!
I want data sheets!
I want proof!
I want the manufactures rep to wake up in the middle of the night and return my phone calls and emails!
I want NASA to tell me i can use that in a shower!
Even then i wont believe it! Cause it dont make sense to me!

We will see what the TCA,NTCA,NBA,ABC,KKK,BBB,DOJ,NAMBLA and any other acronym i can think of will say about this.

Men,you have been warned! I will research this and get back to you.
__________________
Craig
Tile Installations Unlimited
"If you can't wow them with knowledge,baffle them with bullcrap."
Evan1968 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Evan1968 For This Useful Post:
PrecisionFloors (06-18-2012), slowsol (06-28-2012), sycamorebob (06-18-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


There are no tire track specs in the TCNA Handbook
__________________
Angus

Last edited by angus242; 06-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.
angus242 is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
Chief Reporter of Spam
 
Tech Dawg's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,587
Rewards Points: 1,282

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242
They are no tire track specs in the TCNA Handbook
Oh yeah... I'm going to invent my own line of tile with tire treadmarks in it for foot grip : I will send it to JDub for testing and I will answer my phone in the middle of the night, as well
__________________
Todd
Alone Eagle Remodeling, LLC
Tech Dawg is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
If my PO asks,I set tile
 
Evan1968's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial Tile Installs
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 688
Rewards Points: 1,160

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg
I'm going to invent my own line of tile with tire treadmarks in it for foot grip
"Tech Dawg's No Slip,Always Grip,Never Trip Tile"
__________________
Craig
Tile Installations Unlimited
"If you can't wow them with knowledge,baffle them with bullcrap."
Evan1968 is offline  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 23,952
Rewards Points: 13,036

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
Here's Tech Dawg's field test for foam whiners...

Kerdi curb
A bath tub platform that I use for skirt protection and standing
A 2007 Chevy Silverado, ext cab, long bed, Duramax Diesel

The pictures say it all... I personally don't care for Schluter but its obviously a strong product. That curb was left over from 2 years ago and sitting around. After driving on it, the 3/4" plywood cracked and the 2x4 separated from 2 of the 4 screws.
The curb did not crack... Only about a 3/16" depression where the wheel was sitting on it for approximately 5 minutes.

Someone change his name to 'JW the second' please.
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is online now  
Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Alternative To Kerdi Shower Kit


TechDawg doesn't need no fancy code books to perform his tests.


Advertisement

__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
Evan1968 (06-18-2012), Tech Dawg (06-17-2012)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kerdi Drain - before or after shower pan mud? bob_cntrctr Tiling 42 08-16-2012 12:01 PM
1st Kerdi Shower Grandpa7 Tiling 4 12-06-2010 11:04 PM
Kerdi shower Q. mdshunk Tiling 14 07-06-2009 12:28 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?