Soffit Lighting

Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #1

Trade: Home Construction/Reno
Rewards Points: 75

Soffit Lighting

I want to add some recessed lighting in my soffits over doors and openings and along my deck in the front. I have 5" or so to work so most cans should fit. Whats a good size wattage for outside shining down on the walls?. Dimmer switch and a photo eye??

Last edited by ryanh; 01-03-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,124

Re: Soffit Lighting

Most of the soffit lighting i ever installed was 65-75watts. Having a dimmer is up to you, with 65 watts and the hight that they will be at you should have fairly soft light coming down anyway. The lighting will vary with the color of the siding too. Seems all the soffit lighting i have done was always on log homes so the stained logs had a nice glow to them. A photo eye is a good idea but be sure to install a manual over ride switch.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
Damn Skippy

Trade: You can completely control your attitude...if you.
Rewards Points: 4,488

Is LED an option?

I have no idea about stuff like that...but LED seems to be the way of the future...very little power for very long life and bright light without the heat.

Justa-thought
Old 01-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
Most of the soffit lighting i ever installed was 65-75watts. Having a dimmer is up to you, with 65 watts and the hight that they will be at you should have fairly soft light coming down anyway. The lighting will vary with the color of the siding too. Seems all the soffit lighting i have done was always on log homes so the stained logs had a nice glow to them. A photo eye is a good idea but be sure to install a manual over ride switch.
Thats what i was thinking around 75watts, would you recommend a bit higher wattage when placed over doors?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
Is LED an option?

I have no idea about stuff like that...but LED seems to be the way of the future...very little power for very long life and bright light without the heat.

Justa-thought
Thats a great idea to look into. Since soffit lighting usually stays on for the entire night they consume alot of power
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 3,490

are the light being installed in a vented soffit or
a cantilever overhang?The cantilever will have insulation
issues that you will have to deal with
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #7

Vented soffit, no insulation
Old 01-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Trade: Lighting Systems, Design / Build
Rewards Points: 250

Soffit Lighting can be effective if it is not overdone. The vast majority of it is installed by trades that have no knowledge or experience in technical lighting design and as such it is usually too bright, has lots of glare (direct line of sight to the lamp) and there is too much of it.

I would recommend you use MR16 based LV recessed fixtures, and make sure the trims you select are deep regressed and adjustable gimbals so that you can aim the light. Start with 20W BAB (flood) lamps. Brighter is NOT better.

See the effect, not the source.
Member: IESNA, AOLP, LO, MBA
The Following User Says Thank You to James Solecki For This Useful Post:
algernon (04-27-2010)
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki View Post
Soffit Lighting can be effective if it is not overdone. The vast majority of it is installed by trades that have no knowledge or experience in technical lighting design and as such it is usually too bright, has lots of glare (direct line of sight to the lamp) and there is too much of it.

I would recommend you use MR16 based LV recessed fixtures, and make sure the trims you select are deep regressed and adjustable gimbals so that you can aim the light. Start with 20W BAB (flood) lamps. Brighter is NOT better.

See the effect, not the source.
Would you suggest using a shower style to seal it off since its installed outside?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Trade: Lighting Systems, Design / Build
Rewards Points: 250

I don't think it is necessary to use shower trims when installed in a soffit application. Besides, the shower trims will create a lot of glare as the glass lens is located flush to the soffit. You want to use a deep regressed trim that holds the lamp inside the can, out of the line of sight as much as possible.

Regards.

Member: IESNA, AOLP, LO, MBA