Will Leaves Harm My New Grass

Old 10-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Former Electrician

Will Leaves Harm My New Grass

In early August my lawn was re-seeded and it's still a work in progress because I have a lot of bare spots. My question is, I was told that my soil is acidic and that the acid comes from all of the leaves. Should I keep the leaves off of my grass or can I wait until they all fall then rake? I have also heard people say that leaves are good for your grass. What is the real deal?

Thanks

Rob

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Will Leaves Harm My New Grass

Is this question not interesting enough?

Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
globalart4u

if leaving leaves on your lawn then you should mulch them using a power mower by going over several times. the leaves will become fine and will given nutrients to your lawn - i would not leave the leaves whole on the lawn

Old 11-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Get the board stretcher!

Trade: Residential Building and Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc65 View Post
...I have a lot of bare spots. My question is, I was told that my soil is acidic and that the acid comes from all of the leaves...
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalart4u View Post
... i would not leave the leaves whole on the lawn...
OH COME ON! I'm looking for excuses why NOT to rake!! Like "But honey, All those leaves are GOOD for the lawn."
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #5

Trade: Landscape Designer / Consultant
Send a message via Yahoo to ccld

Think in the future time = so if you get out of the raking job, then I doubt that the leaves will be gone come springtime. You can mulch them up with a muching mower and it may help your soil but in the short term NOT. Do you have a min. of 4 to 6 hours of sunlight in the affected area??? That is the amount of sunlight for grass to be established. I hope this helped you. What zone are you in?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator

I've always heard that oak leaves are real bad for the lawn...raises the heck out of the ph. Dont know too much about other leaves, but I would think if you didn't leave them for months upon months, you'd be ok...
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Pro

Ok you guys found me out. I am trying to get out of raking leaves. I live in Maryland about 20 minutes North West of Baltimore. My leaves are primarily Oak and my PH is on the acidic side so it sounds like I better get raking.

Ouch is that a blister? Better go spend a few hours at Home Depot shopping for work gloves.

Thanks

Rob
Old 11-11-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
Pro

It's acid rain that causes the pH to drop. Leaves left on the ground uses up the soils nitrogen as it decomposes. So rake up what you can. To raise the soils pH, add lime at the rate of 50lbs per 1000 quare feet. Or you can measure the square footage and multiply by 5% and this will give you the amount in lbs to apply. The safest lime to use is called dolomite. Don't use slaked or hydrated lime as it is made to be used by professional gardeners who know how to use it without burning the grass. Test to see how low the pH is and make a note of it as you will want to compare it with a second test after you applied lime six months before.The best times to use lime is in the Fall and then again in six months before the weather gets hot. Don't apply more then stated or you could still burn the grass. Apply lime when the grass is dry and water in until the ground is soaked. After six months, check the pH again because you need to know how the first addition of lime brought the pH up. This also will tell you if you need to add the same amount to bring the soils pH reading to 6.9 to 7.2. Your lawn also might be deficient in other nutrients or have sodworms or grubs that eat the roots. If you can get a copy of "Lawns and Ground Covers" authored by James Underwood Crockett and follow his recommendations, your lawn will be the envy of the neighborhood. The book was published by "Time Life Books". It covers everything from seeding, fertilizing or adding organics to the soil.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Pro

As an addedum,
Oak leaves are acidic but only when they are fresh. By the time they fall to the ground in their state of decomposition, they are nuetral to slightly alkaline.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
New Guy

Trade: landscape contractor

Why dont you just apply some lime? Leaves will create bare spots when in piles. All you really have to do is mow the leaves with the mower and chop them up.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
President

Trade: Landscape contractor

Leaves will screw new turf seedlings up. Mats down blocking sunlight, smothering it.. Keep them blown off. A great thing to put down with the seed is Orgro Ecology mix. It's recycled human or chicken waste, the grass loves it, it has lime in it usually. Some of the seed will be in the under layers, and not get blown away from blower.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #12

Trade: Landscaping

Yep mow them suckers up into mulch
Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
kathy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccld View Post
Think in the future time = so if you get out of the raking job, then I doubt that the leaves will be gone come springtime. You can mulch them up with a muching mower and it may help your soil but in the short term NOT. Do you have a min. of 4 to 6 hours of sunlight in the affected area??? That is the amount of sunlight for grass to be established. I hope this helped you. What zone are you in?