What Kind Of Sand For Pavers

Old 03-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
EdenScapes

Trade: PAINTER,LANDSCAPER
Rewards Points: 25

What Kind Of Sand For Pavers

Starting to get into pavers and walks and the jobs are getting bigger. It's too expensive to buy paver sand by the bag - as at Lowe's - does everyone just use builders sand from the local builders supply or does it need to be a special type of sand?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Tile installations
Rewards Points: 250

Re: What Kind Of Sand For Pavers

Mason sand is fine, forgot the name of it, but they also make a binding sand just for pavers, stays in the joints, won't wash out like regular sand, do a search, haven't done any pavers in awhile, did for years, now just tile.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #3

Trade: Landscape
Rewards Points: 75

Mason sand will work just fine. The sand for the joints is called polymeric sand. It just hardens when it gets wet, and like said above wont blow out of the joints also keeps ants and stuff out of the patio or walk. As far as i know you can only buy the polymeric sand by bags, atleast in my area.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 2,350

Technically, masonry sand is too fine. Concrete sand is what is specified, and it is even cheaper.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #5

Trade: Hardscape

Ts is correct. Mason's sand is too fine, and will not provide the required interlocking properties required. You want something more coarse and angular.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #6
Lawn&Landscape

Trade: Lawn&Landscape
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to Always Greener

Unilock Polymeric Sand....
Old 03-20-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
EdenScapes

Thanks for the quick replys everyone. I love this site Now that I know what to look for I can ask around and see if I can obtain any locally. Like to do things right.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: interlocking pavers and Premier Deck builder
Rewards Points: 10

Hi guys new to the site but hello.

Best bet for placing interlocking pavers is a 1 inch screeded area of coarse concrete sand. The coarser the sand the better. After placing 4-6 base of crush and run or crushed concrete for side walks and 6-10 base of crush n run for driveways this will be best. Make sure it is screeded equally and no deviations. After edge restrain is placed use compacter to lvl. Hopefully nice and smooth.

GOOD luck
Old 06-17-2006, 07:00 PM   #9
EdenScapes

Appreciate the reply and welcome. Always good to hear from another contractor. Crusher run is available here at the gravel quarries. Notice that you also do decks. Lots of good people here compared to other sites I've tried. I'm not a big business (just 2 of us) but that makes information so much more important.
Do you do a lot of composite decking or is it P.T.? I've found that I have to at least double the materials to do composite and it discourages a lot of people from using it.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:54 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I work in sand and mostly pavers. I use #3 to #5 rebar and mesh with a min. of 3" of fiber reinfroced concrete. Here', it will kickoff within a week. If time is an issue, throw a sprinkler(s) on it. Like most concrete, it won't be set for about a month and a half.

Albert Einstein
Old 06-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
New Guy

Hi edenscapes:

We are currently building a deck out of timbertech using the timbertech tounge and grove system. This allows for hidden fasteners, however with composite decks the price is significant. Picture this a 340 square foot deck with timbertech T and G and Timbertech radiance railling the total was a little over 15,000. This comes to about 48 per square foot. The price is high when you pay $65 per 20 foot board and $52 per 16 ft board. It all depends on the clientelle you are dealing with. If you are into building decks and doing interlocking concrete pavers here are a few good resources for you.

www . icpi . org
www . timbertech .com

wont let me post url since i have only posted 3 times =.=
Old 06-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
Pro

Interlock, this is smelling of spam. Please prove me wrong. Nathan is the admin., you can contact him for ads.

Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Teetorbilt For This Useful Post:
skyhook (10-08-2010)
Old 06-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #13
New Guy

spam?

Icpi if you are not educated in the paver industry is The interlocking concrete paver institute. OKay see now what they do is train installers and certify them in interlocking concrete pavers.

TImbertech is a compsite decking manufacturer see now what they also do is help contracters become certified in installing composite decking boards.

Anything else here mate.

I think your post is just spam I am offering information to help someone where as your not.

OK

Once again good luck edenscapes

Last edited by InterlockPavers; 06-18-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #14
Pro

It appears as you are a newbie and promoting a singular product. That would make it spam. I'll let it ride for a while but don't be suprised if another mod slams the door on you.

Albert Einstein
Old 06-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #15

Trade: Interlocking Concrete Pavers

Edenscapes,

The industry standard for joint sand is ASTM C144, which is the same as mason sand. The bedding sand is ASTM C33, which is more coarse than mason sand. The reason for the more coarse bedding sand is because mason sand allows for a certain percentage of fines, which could trap water in the bedding layer, which is intended to facilitate the movement of water. Many contractors use their bedding sand as their joint sand as well, but there is good reason to use the finer sand for the joints. Coarse sand tends to be tougher to completely fill in the joints due to the particle sizes, and you'll frequently get a "bridging" effect where sand gets hung up on the joints only a little ways down. This sand will eventualy setlle, revealing voids that can cause a loss of vertical interlock or create aesthetic problems. True mason sand is still angular and will lock up very well while more easily finding its way into the joint. Just be sure you don't end up with silica sand or play sand or anything else that has round particles or is way too fine.

Polymeric sand is an excellent choice. There are a number of manufacturers and there are some differences that matter. I'll let others here comment on that as I work for one of those manufacturers. Feel free to send me a private message if you want more info.

Last edited by Phil Graves; 06-30-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #16
EdenScapes

Thanks Phil, Appreciate the advice. I've been doing some research of different products and methods as well as tracking the jobs I've been doing. It all helps and I will be P.M. you.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #17

Trade: Landscape Contractor

With beige pavers I use fine sand, and with reds and grays I use stonedust that is a fine grey sand. Sweep the sand in a diagnal motion to the joints. Sweep in dry first then wet.
Sean C.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #18

Trade: Paver installer

I like the Super Sand from Alliance as well.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #19

Trade: Design

I'm doing some redesign for some folks and they asked me if I could level out their pavers too. They have just sunk some. I would imagine that the base is still good but do I just need mason sand to raise them and then the polymeric sand to secure?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,212

If you look at the recommendations by the Interlocking Concrete Paving Institute (ICPI at icpi.org?), you will find that concrete send is best for the 1" setting bed. Because of the wide variation in gradations some concrete sands are too coarse for the spreading, sweeping and interlocking, so masons sand does meet the requirements better. It is a regional thing and not everyone builds streets and some people build patios, so you can get away with a little more.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.