Scotts Spreader / Sta-Green Weed & Feed

Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Retired Electrician

Trade: Licensed Electrician
Rewards Points: 75

Scotts Spreader / Sta-Green Weed & Feed

I have an old, yet very functional Scotts "SpeedyGreen" broadcast spreader. The setting dial is at the bottom of the unit near the gate.

I want to apply the Sta-Green 28-0-2 weed and feed product @ 2lbs per 1000 square feet. As per manufacturers instruction on the packaging.
I do not know what setting to use?
I did find a calculator http://precisionprodinc.com/manuals/...pplication.pdf But was hoping a professional could take a look and see if my Scotts spreader setting of (5) is correct.

Thanks in Advance..............John Valdes

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Retired Electrician

Re: Scotts Spreader / Sta-Green Weed & Feed

Are there not any professional horticulture folks on Contractor talk? It would seem anyone that does this for a living, would know exactly what to do. Or does everyone use a Scott's broadcast spreader only use Scott's products? I know that is not true?

That would be like me saying I only know how to install GE panels , but would not know how to install a Square D panel. There has to be someone that uses other products besides Scott's and there spreaders?. Maybe I am in the wrong forum. I may try ET. (Electrician Talk) I bet someone there knows how to handle this situation. For sure Electricians are smarter.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home repairs,drywall,trim. Mesh addict.
Rewards Points: 3,258

Start out light and see how far you get. Cover 1000 ft and see how much you used. Adjust accordingly. Keep notes, with brands. You will learn.

I could never understand why the hell they all can't get on the same page with application rates.

Picked up a commercial spreader() and used thier products the last two yrs.

And as a matter of fact I just hired a company to take care of my lawn treatment. He does an amazing job on some of my customers homes.

$550 yr...........That's close to what I spent on product/yr and I did all the labor too. My lawn looks awsome already!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Retired Electrician

Thanks Big Shoe. I agree these things should be standardized. The pdf conversion file I posted is where I will start. I have had this spreader for over 10 years and only used it once or twice. We are trying to sell the house and that's the only reason I bought some "weed and feed". To kill off the broad-leaf weeds that are abundant. We live on a very large property and professional help would be expensive. We are trying to downsize anyway. Thanks very much.........John