Lime Application Spreader Settings

Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #1

Trade: home improvements
Rewards Points: 75

Lime Application Spreader Settings

I'm not a landscaper(I am a home improvement contractor),but I need some advice on how to apply lime to my own homes yard. I hope you guys here can help me with the spreader setting. I need to apply it a rate of 25lbs/1,000 sq ft. twice a year. The place I purchased the pelletized lime told to set my Earthway broadcast spreader at 16. So I set it there and ran the first 50 lb bag through. I usually make each pass 6 ft apart accross the yard. It went 6000 sq ft. Since I need to apply 25lbs/1000sq ft.....at the rate I applied it was 25 lbs/3000 sq ft. or approx 8.3 lbs/1000 sq ft if I did the math correctly. I had to go over the yard 3 times completely to get the proper amount down. While this works, its alot of walking( my yard is 16,000 sq ft.) How can I get the spreader setting correct without guesswork? I contacted the business that i purchsed the lime from and he said he was going by his basic settings chart for application rates. He seemed stumped when I told him what happened, so I guess Im on my own to figure it out with some help here hopefully?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!