Landscaping Cost Per Square Foot

Old 10-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Trade: landscape architect
Rewards Points: 26

Landscaping Cost Per Square Foot

What is a rough estimate for a spray irrigation system using Toro 570 heads and rainbird timer for 3000 square feet? Half shrubs and half lawn.

What about shrub beds in half the area and lawn for the other half. What will that run for a ball park figure for landscaping and no irrigation?

The figures should be for good quality landscape and assume the soil is a good grade of top soil.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,447

Re: Landscaping Cost Per Square Foot

Direct pricing questions are frowned upon here.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 22,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgem View Post
What is a rough estimate for a spray irrigation system using Toro 570 heads and rainbird timer for 3000 square feet? Half shrubs and half lawn.

What about shrub beds in half the area and lawn for the other half. What will that run for a ball park figure for landscaping and no irrigation?

The figures should be for good quality landscape and assume the soil is a good grade of top soil.
Doesn't your trade say "landscape architect"?...

Old 10-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,892

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Doesn't your trade say "landscape architect"?...
Landscaping Architects don't give pricing per SF, they usually pricing per bush.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 40

OOH, OOH! Tree Fiddy!
A&E Exteriors (10-03-2017), Dirtywhiteboy (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #6

Nothing wrong with saying ya don't know. Would be nice to compare prices in Oregon with other states. Tough crowd today?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Nothing wrong with saying ya don't know. Would be nice to compare prices in Oregon with other states. Tough crowd today?
Comparing prices in another state will yield you what exactly? Unless you're one of three in your market, comparing prices across state lines is as irrelevant as comparing prices locally... cost of doing business is different for everyone...

Considering your listed trade, if you wanted to list what you charge to generate some sort of discussion that's one thing, but saying you don't know as a "landscape architect" is an indicator that you're anything but...

I could be wrong, but so far, evidence to the contrary is limited...
Old 10-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,447

Quote:
This is just how it is here. One of the rules of the site.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #9
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 802

Jeez, guys, being a Landscape Architect actually is different from being a Landscape Contractor.

As a designer, I do not know the "going price" of construction in my area yet I design structures for homes.

Now to be fair to me, I was a GC in California so I have some idea of construction pricing in this area only.

I would never ask anyone though, even in my surrounding area what a ballpark price for construction is as it may differ radically from business to business of course.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
KAP (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
Pro

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
Jeez, guys, being a Landscape Architect actually is different from being a Landscape Contractor.
As a landscape archi, he's asking pricing... looking at the original set of questions he posed, it's at odds with what you'd assume one would have some familiarity with designing landscaping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
I would never ask anyone though, even in my surrounding area what a ballpark price for construction is as it may differ radically from business to business of course.

Andy.
Kinda' the point...

And really the underlying information that will help him if he is an actual business...

EDIT:
He has a website with detailed info, so I stand corrected as it relates to him being an actual business... my apologies to georgem for jumping to that conclusion...

Last edited by KAP; 10-03-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 9,838

Tree fiddy
Old 10-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #12

This is a landscaping section of the forum where licensed landscape contractors and landscape architects can communicate, yet some seem thrown off by my question. I was hoping to connect with some landscape contractors and not someone that says 'custom'. What does that mean?

I draw detailed landscape plans and irrigation plans, then find qualified and licensed landscape contractors to bid on the plans. Just for the sake of discussion, typical prices per square foot was posed. Many landscape professionals use this information for the sake of discussion and not firming up a bid on. This is enough for me on this question.
Biography for George McNair
Landscape Architect - Planner
960 Granite Ridge Street
coastrose.com phone: 541 - 900 -1123

George McNair graduated from the University of Oregon in 1973 with a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture. Later he completed a Master’s Degree from George Washington
University majoring in Educational Technology.

While working as a Forest Service landscape architect in Medford, Oregon, he designed Flumet Flat Campground and Jackson Picnic Grounds on the Applegate River. He was supervised by Jurgen Hess. He later became park planner for Jackson County, and he created detailed plans for the Jackson County Sports Part and Rogue Elk Park located on
the Rogue River. He was supervised by Neil Ledward.

Then he went to the private sector and worked as a landscape architect and landscape contractor in Medford and finished projects such as the Protector’s Insurance Building, the Cedar Tree Apartments, and apartments for Irv Toney in Ashland, Oregon. He worked for Dale Coverstone, Landscape Architect, and worked on Valerie Hills Apartments. He worked closely with Bruce Bateman, president of the Landscape Contractors Board.

Being mostly retired, writing landscaping articles for the paper and taking of some landscaping jobs has occupied my time.

Last edited by georgem; 10-03-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add items
Old 10-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #13

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 112

Sorry, I got nothing but a...
Welcome to CT.
Way to hang in there.
Stick around, good info will follow.
Dirtywhiteboy (10-03-2017), greg24k (10-04-2017), KAP (10-04-2017), ScipioAfricanus (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,892

Quote:
This is a landscaping section of the forum where licensed landscape contractors and landscape architects can communicate, yet some seem thrown off by my question. I was hoping to connect with some landscape contractors and not someone that says 'custom'. What does that mean?

I draw detailed landscape plans and irrigation plans, then find qualified and licensed landscape contractors to bid on the plans. Just for the sake of discussion, typical prices per square foot was posed. Many landscape professionals use this information for the sake of discussion and not firming up a bid on. This is enough for me on this question.
Biography for George McNair
Landscape Architect - Planner
960 Granite Ridge Street
coastrose.com phone: 541 - 900 -1123

George McNair graduated from the University of Oregon in 1973 with a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture. Later he completed a Masterís Degree from George Washington
University majoring in Educational Technology.

While working as a Forest Service landscape architect in Medford, Oregon, he designed Flumet Flat Campground and Jackson Picnic Grounds on the Applegate River. He was supervised by Jurgen Hess. He later became park planner for Jackson County, and he created detailed plans for the Jackson County Sports Part and Rogue Elk Park located on
the Rogue River. He was supervised by Neil Ledward.

Then he went to the private sector and worked as a landscape architect and landscape contractor in Medford and finished projects such as the Protectorís Insurance Building, the Cedar Tree Apartments, and apartments for Irv Toney in Ashland, Oregon. He worked for Dale Coverstone, Landscape Architect, and worked on Valerie Hills Apartments. He worked closely with Bruce Bateman, president of the Landscape Contractors Board.

Being mostly retired, writing landscaping articles for the paper and taking of some landscaping jobs has occupied my time.
George, everything you typed about your experience and all that other bla-bla-bla sound real nice, especially for the bathroom reading material when you cannot find any reading material within reach and a deodorant can to read a lable is nowhere near you.
In any case, you can write anything because nobody knows you and looking at your website and the work you show samples of don't show anything, as a matter a fact it looks amateur and any DIY can come up with it.

Don't get me wrong, but when someone who portrays himself as a landscaping architect comes here and his first question about pricing, it throws everything off. There could be a bunch of people from the same area you from could be your competitors so it is really stupid to even think that you can discuss pricing on the Professional blog... Not to mention the going rate in Oregon will be way off in comparison to a going rate in New York or Florida so the discussion about that doesn't do anyone any good and this is why nobody talks about it.

Introduce yourself, offer some advice, share some of your experience with others on different issues, make your bones so to speak with the CT members and after that when people get to know you, on occasion or two you can bring up a pricing question and get advise leaning to a more practicable extent.

Believe you me, you have no idea how many people who are not in the trade come here asking questions about pricing, etc...hang around and you will find out and by that time you will feel the same way we all do when it happens.

In the meantime welcome to CT if you still wish to hang around, sit back and enjoy the ride... I'm sure it will be worth while
KAP (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #15

Trade: tree service
Rewards Points: 40

I don't care what you do or where you are from George. I'd rather be civil. I have never seen anybody price out a sprinkler system on a price per sq ft basis as there are too many variables involved including garden beds, trees to go around, etc. I just think your question is wrong and any answer you get will not be helpful. Good luck with it though.

Chet
A Total Tree Service
Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #16

Trade: Design and Install
Rewards Points: 24

First thread I come across here, and couldn't agree more with Everyone George. There's not an accurate way to price irrigation by the square foot. As a designer/installer myself I believe I'd be doing my clients a disservice by 'ballparking' or throwing numbers around without first seeing the site and plans.
The Following User Says Thank You to EarthwiseScott For This Useful Post:
Bainbridge (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #17

Trade: Landscapier
Rewards Points: 18

There's really no easy answer for this and a contractor would need more info to look deeper into it. I've never priced a job base on sqf of the area to be irrigated.

Mike
http://www.legendslandscaping.com/

Advertisement