John Deere JX75 Running Issues

Old 07-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finish Work
Rewards Points: 342

John Deere JX75 Running Issues

Up until a couple weeks back, the mower had been gradually running rougher & rougher.

Pulled the plug that had a severely worn electrode and black crud. After swapping, the mower ran almost like new. For two-three mowings on our 1/2 acre lot.

Now the mower, today, reverted to its old ways.

When I pulled the starter cordt, the whole engine seemed locked tilting on its wheels as I pulled (just like weeks ago). It only loosened up to the point that I could pull the cord following quit a bit of romancing.

Since the simple plug replace cured the starting/running last time, I had cause to believe it wasn't a major engine problem... (valves, ?)
Maybe likely due to the carb? (float valve, etc?)

Anyone have this issue with the 75?

What about the seafoam alternative (spray thru intake?)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,745

Re: John Deere JX75 Running Issues

Sounds like you may have a stuck float. Either way, I drain all the gas out of the tank, fuel line and carb(if that's possible), then put "Mechanic in a Bottle" in the tank. Then pull it through a few times to get it into the carb.

I'd let it sit at least overnight, then add gas and run it. Just follow the directions on the bottle. If that doesn't fix it, you probably need a new carb, or at least rebuild it.

Bad issues like valves and rings tend to make it easier to pull, bad bearings and hydrolock (too much gas or oil in the cylinder) make it harder.

You can always spray seafoam in, but it won't do anything about a sticking float.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
artinall (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
...Either way, I drain all the gas out of the tank, fuel line and carb(if that's possible), then put "Mechanic in a Bottle" in the tank...
Bad issues like valves and rings tend to make it easier to pull, bad bearings and hydrolock (too much gas or oil in the cylinder) make it harder....
Mechanic in a bottle -- you would put this in straight, undiluted?

Silly question - could a stuck float send too much gas into the cylinder?

Doesn't sound like too much oil since that new plug ran without a sign of smoke.

Right ater the impossibly 'hard pulls' - it's much easier to pull than normal.

Last edited by artinall; 07-09-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Self Employed Moron
Rewards Points: 160

Sounds like a stuck valve. You had to pull it very hard, it moved the stuck valve into the up position and now it's no longer riding on the cam. Since it's not riding on the cam you don't have the spring pressure or the compression back pressure and the engine spins easy.

Hopefully not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 113

A stuck valve won't make it run rich.

Most likely cause is a bad seal on the float valve. Alcohol is brutal on them. If the tank is above carb, it can flow to combustion chamber, & into the crankcase. It can also cause hydro lock on startup. I have a Honda pressure washer that has done that on occasion, when the fuel valve shut off isn't turned off. Double check the oil level, & smell the oil. If it smells of gas, it's a bad float function.

You might also consider an in line fuel shut off. I added one to my Troybuilt 33" mower fro the same reasons. They're only a few bucks on ebay.

Last edited by Railman; 07-09-2017 at 10:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
Mechanic in a bottle -- you would put this in straight, undiluted?

Yes

Silly question - could a stuck float send too much gas into the cylinder?

Yes

Doesn't sound like too much oil since that new plug ran without a sign of smoke.

Right ater the impossibly 'hard pulls' - it's much easier to pull than normal.
"Hard Pull" is probably hydrolock, and the liquid gets cleared out.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
You might also consider an in line fuel shut off. I added one to my Troybuilt 33" mower fro the same reasons. They're only a few bucks on ebay.
I add a shutoff as well, plus I run Stabil Storage in the gas year round (this has helped a lot).

The 10% ethanol gas is just brutal. Some of the older gas lines and various seals aren't compatible with it.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Pro

Here's why I recommend Mechanic in a Bottle over a number of other products. You can leave the stuff in the carb and fuel system for a month, and it won't destroy seals and lines. It will clean everything up in most cases.

For small engines, most carbs are so cheap to buy on line, you can just buy a new one and throw it on and save yourself some time.

I do a lot of this - 2 rototillers, 1 lawn tractor, 4 garden tractors, 4 string trimmers, 5 snow blowers, 4 lawn mowers, a couple of leaf blowers, a few chainsaws, generator, and the list goes on.

I even have a "woods" mower that is just for woods trails and other places hazardous to a mower. I generally pick those up for free because they have carb issues.

With all the small engines I deal with, carb issues are the bane of my existance, so I try to prevent them, and clean them up the easiest (least time) way.
Railman (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
Pro

Picked up some Mechanic in a bottle, and don't see it stated if it's petroleum based or not (so I cannot add too concentrated of a mix).

BTW - used a shutoff valve on a snapper rider we had, they are notorious for that. Will have to look at my JD oil... have had to replace carb's on some of our other stuff too.

Last edited by artinall; 07-09-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Picked up some Mechanic in a bottle, and don't see it stated if it's petroleum based or not (so I cannot add too concentrated of a mix).

BTW - used a shutoff valve on a snapper rider we had, they are notorious for that. Will have to look at my JD oil... have had to replace carb's on some of our other stuff too.
4 cycle engine, so drain as much of the gas out of the fuel system as you can (even better if you can drain the carb bowl), put an ounce or two in the tank, prime it, pull it through some to get it into the carb, let it sit. When you're ready to give it a try, just put gas in the tank and go for it.

If the float seal is gone, it won't fix it - if it's a sticking float, you can get it unstuck most of the time.
artinall (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
4 cycle engine, so drain as much of the gas out of the fuel system as you can (even better if you can drain the carb bowl)...
Think I'll siphon the tank, and run the engine dry unless gas should stay in the cylinder for some reason, and go from there.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Think I'll siphon the tank, and run the engine dry unless gas should stay in the cylinder for some reason, and go from there.
That will do it.

If it doesn't clean up real easy like that, just get a new carb. It's worth the $5 and a couple minutes just to see if it will work. Once you get this going, be sure to keep fuel stabilizer in your gas - just add it to the can.

A fuel shut off valve is even better, but I don't put them on everything, just the ones with expensive carburetors.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
That will do it.

If it doesn't clean up real easy like that, just get a new carb. It's worth the $5 and a couple minutes just to see if it will work....
My main reservation with new carb is getting the springs/linkage back. Little funny on this model...
Old 07-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 6,408

Can you guys get clear gas? As goofy as our state is, they can now sell clear gas at gas stations. It costs more, but way worth it for boats and lawn gear.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
My main reservation with new carb is getting the springs/linkage back. Little funny on this model...
You may have to. The ethanol will absorb moisture, and the moisture will corrode all the aluminum, magnesium, and iron surfaces in the carb. The aluminum and magnesium corrosion is a white powder, and you can't dissolve it without etching away some of the metal, it has to be mechanically removed from everywhere. If that's what happened to the carb, it isn't going to clean up.

This problem can either make the float stick or ruin the seal so fuel will trickle in, even with a full bowl, or both.

If you have to change the carburetor, take plenty of pictures of how all the springs and linkages are connected, so you can get them back together correctly. It helps if you have a small parts tray (like a small fishing tackle tray with dividers), so you can put the parts in in the order you took them off, and use the photos to reverse the order for reassembly.

Besides keeping Stabil Storage in the gas, keep the tank full so you don't get much condensation in the tank.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Can you guys get clear gas? As goofy as our state is, they can now sell clear gas at gas stations. It costs more, but way worth it for boats and lawn gear.

Not here, all ethanol blend.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post

There are a few places locally, but not many.
The further south you go, the more available it is. The reason for that is that alcohol lowers the boiling point of the fuel, & is a major problem with air cooled engines in the heat. The result of fuel boiling is vapor lock.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #18
Pro

Checked oil - could not pick up on any gas there.

Plug is so dark it's hard to get a pic... this is the new plug with probably less than 2hrs ...
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 5,178

First step on engine repair is what is the compression? If you are dealing with a bad motor you are wasting time. The "could be" list is big enough. Hard to turn over is either a hydro-lock for which you would smell fuel, the plug would be soaked, and the oil would most likely have fuel in it. A frozen crank, or scored piston...
Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
First step on engine repair is what is the compression? If you are dealing with a bad motor you are wasting time. The "could be" list is big enough. Hard to turn over is either a hydro-lock for which you would smell fuel, the plug would be soaked, and the oil would most likely have fuel in it. A frozen crank, or scored piston...
I don't see where it could be piston rings since the new plug made it run practically new for 2 cuts.

Advertisement