Help Me Restore My Lawn 0-0

Old 07-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 76

Help Me Restore My Lawn 0-0

Hi There,
Just moved to new house, I never had a yard before.
.My existing lawn is very dry and yellow. Is there a way to restore it? I started to water it twice a day, it started to grow back again however there are holes... is there is any hope or something I can do so it will restore the lawn ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 5,168

Re: Help Me Restore My Lawn 0-0

You are in LA? Take that freakin' lawn out and STOP using NorCal's water. We are still in a drought as the ground water will take 5 years of heavy rains to recover.

Excellent options:
1: Spray the lawn green. You will be the envy of the neighborhood.
2: Plant the lawn area with drought resistant plants and hook up a drip irrigation system. Your county may very well have a financial assistance program for lawn removal and replant, mine does!
3: Blow leaves over the lawn. This is what I have been doing for 7 years. Mine grows in the winter, and looks like the rest of the surrounding forest in the summer.

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (07-13-2017), griz (07-12-2017), lge77 (07-19-2017), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC

green concrete is an excellent choice also

Old 07-24-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 76

I think so too...
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricianC-10 For This Useful Post:
Peter_C (07-24-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #5

Trade: Design and Install
Rewards Points: 24

Lawn is too much work. Agree with above that in Cali the water situation is scary. Have you looked at xeriscaping? How big is the yard? Maybe put down a couple good layers of landscape fabric and use loose rock, boulders, and maybe a sparse planting of local xeric or native drought tolerant plants. Run poly drip lines under the rock/fabric with a bubbler on each plant to establish them.

If its a big area, maybe combine the xeriscaping with mass plantings of spreading ground cover and native drought tolerant plants.

I searched "LA county xeric plant list" and found a lot of info. the following link brings you to the LA water works site. They have a document you can download that lists best plants. Click the link to down load the handbook (its big so give it a minute). Look it over and then go to a LOCAL nursery, not home depot. Ask them for recommendations for evergreens. You don't want annuals. Perennials can be used as accents.

https://dpw.lacounty.gov/wwd/web/Con...tivePlant.aspx