Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Building Blocks for Retaining Wall

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  robertc65 
#1 ·
I have plans to build a few retaining walls on my property. I want to do it over a period of time. I'm concerned that if I don't purchase the blocks all at once I won't be able to get more when needed. Is there a brand or type of block out there that is more or less common so that if I build a wall this summer I could expect to be able to get more of the same blocks next year to match. This may be to much to ask for, but I'm not rich and want to do this myself. Are there blocks that are more appropriate for a DIY job and don't cost a fortune. My house is not a show place. I just want decent looking blocks to hold back the dirt in some areas. I'm not looking for prestige.

Thanks

Rob

#2 ·
Stick with one of the national brands like Allan Block, Anchor Wall Systems, Keystone and Versalok. They all have licensees nationally and internationally. All have a number of different types and sizes. Several of these brands should be available close to you - they will be made by a local manufacturer.

With some of the local "knock-off" blocks, they may not be available in the future if the local company is bought out by a larger company. There is a very strong trend of consolidation in the block industry and the local brands seem to get phased out after acquisitions. The national brands just seem to have better marketing, advertising, product development and technical support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.