Aerating And Dethatching Cost?? Fert N Seed?? Any Help Please

Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Trade: framing, roofing
Rewards Points: 10

Aerating And Dethatching Cost?? Fert N Seed?? Any Help Please

My church is wanting to get there lawn dethatched and aerated, they have about 26,000 sq ft of lawn. what is the going rate for dethatching and aerating?? also what should we look at paying for seed and fertilizer?? is it extra to have the plugs from aerating picked up, they dont like the look of them left on the ground, what is the going rate for the pick up of plugs>> any help please

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Aerating And Dethatching Cost?? Fert N Seed?? Any Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjasons1 View Post
My church is wanting to get there lawn dethatched and aerated, they have about 26,000 sq ft of lawn. what is the going rate for dethatching and aerating?? also what should we look at paying for seed and fertilizer?? is it extra to have the plugs from aerating picked up, they dont like the look of them left on the ground, what is the going rate for the pick up of plugs>> any help please

It will really all depend. Is it a catholic, baptist or Jehovah?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 2,468

You should talk them into the "look" of the plugs.
They sort of disappear in a few weeks.
But I would imagine that cleaning the plugs from 26K sq. ft. would amount to more than a few wheelbarrows of soil.

How do you think the lawn will look if every spring I came along and dug out 3 or 4 wheelbarrows of soil and took it away. Eventually I would suspect some fill would be required.

But I'm no grass guy, just making an observation....

www.gebcon.com
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Lawn Care
Rewards Points: 250

What's the going rate? Well, it depends on a few different things, such as, are they hiring a full time company, or one of the many uninsured, unlicensed hacks that does it because he can't find a real job? Just like asking the going rate for roofing, it also varies by region, and other factors.

"Is it extra, to have the plugs picked up?" Ummm... there is no going rate, for picking up plugs. It's not done, they will laugh at you for asking that question.
The holes in the ground are just one of the benefits of aeration. The plugs are another. Call a qualified local landscape maintenance company, they'll explain it to you, as well as give you a price. But don't expect a price break, just because it's for a tax-exempt customer, as some churches do.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Send a message via AIM to buddy110

If you have a good, organic program there's no need to dethatch or core aerate.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #6

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
If you have a good, organic program there's no need to dethatch or core aerate.
That is true, but "true" 100% oragnic programs take time for great results. I don't think you'll disagree. But some customers need, or want results sooner than ASAP, so you need to do what you can right then and there. They aren't concerned with results later, they want them now.

And lets be honest, even if you sell them on a good organic program...they wanted an aeration, and they are willing to pay, are you gonna turn down the money(especially in these financial times?)? It certainly won't hurt the lawn, and will actually help the overall process.

ffjasons1... By now you either did this job or lost the job. But you have to tell people the benefits of leaving the plugs on the lawn for "mother nature" to get rid of. They are actually a benefit to the process, and shouldn't be removed as far as I;m concerned.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Send a message via AIM to buddy110

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesamba View Post
That is true, but "true" 100% oragnic programs take time for great results. I don't think you'll disagree. But some customers need, or want results sooner than ASAP, so you need to do what you can right then and there. They aren't concerned with results later, they want them now.

And lets be honest, even if you sell them on a good organic program...they wanted an aeration, and they are willing to pay, are you gonna turn down the money(especially in these financial times?)? It certainly won't hurt the lawn, and will actually help the overall process.

ffjasons1... By now you either did this job or lost the job. But you have to tell people the benefits of leaving the plugs on the lawn for "mother nature" to get rid of. They are actually a benefit to the process, and shouldn't be removed as far as I;m concerned.
Agreed.
I was on a chemical plan for many years. I core aerated and dethatched religiously. This helped my got my lawn grow thick and green before I moved to organic practices. I simply wasn't aware That I could grow a lawn organically.
I still use the dreaded 24D for braodleaf weeds, but in minute quantities. For non selective weed killing I use Vinegar.

Last year I used a chicken manure based, organic granuler fertilizer. The lawn responded very well without the "growth spurt" that urea causes. The lawn truned a nice, lush green all year long.

This year I'm brewing a compost tea and applying it with a comercial sprayer on the back of my Kubota.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,672

I won't aerate.

I work hard to keep my lawn weed free. I had it aerated years ago. The previous aerated property was obviously not weed free so I got to deal with the weeds from his plugs that were still in the machine.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,072

great point tgeb about the soil needing replaced. reminds me of a story about a guy who pulled out lots of wire and motors from an industrial site when it was newly purchased and then the new purchaser needed it rewired and the same guy got hte contract and used the same wire he pulled out

the plugs 'should' break down with a rain or two.