Wanted - Commercial Construction Sub Trade Scopes Of Work For Estimating

Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Trade: Construction Management

Wanted - Commercial Construction Sub Trade Scopes Of Work For Estimating

Sorry for the long title, but I'm trying to be as specific as possible so I don't waste people's time. I'm a PM for a smallish ($4M - $7M annual volume) commercial construction manager. We have a very bad habit when estimating projects of not sending out a scope of work to each trade telling them specifically what we want them to price. Some of the other PM's here don't even send out specs , but I digress.

What I'm looking for, and hope my CT brotherhood can help me with, is a general template starting point for developing a scope of work for each specific sub trade. I know that each project will require me to go through and add very specific information relating to plans and specs, which I'm usually pretty good at. A home builders "I'm going to give you WRC R & R shingles and three 24" x 48" double hung Andersen windows" doesn't really apply here. Am I going into uncharted territory here? I'd be surprised if I was.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #2

Re: Wanted - Commercial Construction Sub Trade Scopes Of Work For Estimating

232 views and not a single response?

Ok, how about we try it this way. Anyone have a scope they've received as part of a subcontract they did, and were impressed with?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
PRO

Trade: General Contractor

Do your plans not come with specs already? I've never done this, it's the subcontractors responsibility IMO to address all items that fall within their realm of the scope. If I had a sub that couldn't do this, I wouldnt accept his bid. It all comes down to bid day, it's your job to better qualify the scopes.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

My plans and projects usually come with specs, but not always. Here's a specific example of a problem I ran into that is why I started this thread.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f84/fl...imating-98958/

I like to be PROactive, as opposed to REactive, so I'm looking for a way to make sure I don't have any holes in my bid before bid day. That way I don't have a problem with "bid qualifications, inclusions, or exclusions", and I know everything is covered before hand.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblank View Post
My plans and projects usually come with specs, but not always. Here's a specific example of a problem I ran into that is why I started this thread.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f84/fl...imating-98958/

I like to be PROactive, as opposed to REactive, so I'm looking for a way to make sure I don't have any holes in my bid before bid day. That way I don't have a problem with "bid qualifications, inclusions, or exclusions", and I know everything is covered before hand.
Then use this, put it in an excel spreadsheet and require that your subs note every code on there proposal and check them off as they go. Most commercial subs will note this on there bids anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CSI Codes.pdf (11.8 KB, 361 views)
Old 07-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #6

I appreciate your input and help with this, I really do. But putting in the CSI headings isn't going to help me in the case from my link. Two trades could have included the section for flashing, but didn't.

Where I fall on my face is making sure one of those two guys doesn't miss it, when I send out my bid packages.

Maybe I'm looking for a quick solution where it doesn't exist? I can't believe that no one has a scope of work template that they use, everyone refers to it, but no one will post one.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblank View Post
I appreciate your input and help with this, I really do. But putting in the CSI headings isn't going to help me in the case from my link. Two trades could have included the section for flashing, but didn't.

Where I fall on my face is making sure one of those two guys doesn't miss it, when I send out my bid packages.

Maybe I'm looking for a quick solution where it doesn't exist? I can't believe that no one has a scope of work template that they use, everyone refers to it, but no one will post one.
Yea....I think your trying to re-invent the wheel here. Your making it harder than it really is.