RMO Questions

Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #1

Trade: B license

RMO Questions

Hi, I am a general contractor with a B license and had a few questions regarding what a RMO is. A company asked me to be there RMO and I have searched for answers but could not find them clear enough.

If the owner of the company does not have a license of his own for contracting is that problem?

Does the company use my license and only my license?

What other licenses can be RMO's?

If a company wants me to be an RMO how do i go about doing this?

Are there any risks involved as far as my license and can the owner of the company ever jeopardize my license?

Is there anything else I should know about an RMO?

I know its quite a few questions but, I am not certain what I could get myself into and I would like to be 100% sure before I commit to anything. I really appreciate any help Thanks!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

Trade: B license

Re: RMO Questions

Anyone please shed some light?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Security Contractor

Trade: Security

Im sure the "License Guru" will be along shortly to help you out with this. I highly recommend having him help you if this is the route you decide to take.

He helped me with an RMO but the opposite way of what your wanting to do.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Former California Contractors State License Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCConstruction View Post
Hi, I am a general contractor with a B license and had a few questions regarding what a RMO is. A company asked me to be there RMO and I have searched for answers but could not find them clear enough.

If the owner of the company does not have a license of his own for contracting is that problem? Yes. You should apply for a new license with you as qualifer/officer.

Does the company use my license and only my license? No. Apply for a new license. You will show 20% ownership on that license app in order to keep your existing license active.

What other licenses can be RMO's? An RMO can only be on a corp license. An RMO can qualify up to 3 corp licenses as long as he/she shows at least 20% ownership on each license.

If a company wants me to be an RMO how do i go about doing this? It's just a matter of submitting the waiver app for a new license, obtain a bond, fingerprinting for those who haven't been printed by the cslb.

Are there any risks involved as far as my license and can the owner of the company ever jeopardize my license? That's a tough one to answer because of the variables. Basically, if some form of admin action or judgment is placed on that corp app, it will reflect on your personal license until you disassociate from that corp license. Then, it "should" not affect your own license.

Is there anything else I should know about an RMO? Create/enter into a solid contract outlining your responsibilities, compensation, etc. And no, there is no standard compensation package for RMO's.

I know its quite a few questions but, I am not certain what I could get myself into and I would like to be 100% sure before I commit to anything. I really appreciate any help Thanks!!
Sorry for the late reply! My answers are above in bold. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.