Potential Issue With Verifying Work Experience

Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #1

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 10

Potential Issue With Verifying Work Experience

Hello everyone. I"m sure this is an issue that has been addressed many times, but I could not find any recent posts on it so here it goes.

I am currently about to mail my application to the CSLB. I am a little hesitant to do so because I cannot verify my work experience through paystubs or tax forms. I was paid under the table for the duration of my provable time, approximately 5 1/2 years. My employer is a liscensed contractor and happily filled out the form for me.

I guess my questions are, will I definately need to show the CSLB some kind of documentation? Can my employer testify in some way that my experience is legit? If they really need the proof, why don't they ask for it specifically in the application? Or do they ask for it and I'm just not understanding correctly? LOL

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Potential Issue With Verifying Work Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzytebob View Post
Hello everyone. I"m sure this is an issue that has been addressed many times, but I could not find any recent posts on it so here it goes.

I am currently about to mail my application to the CSLB. I am a little hesitant to do so because I cannot verify my work experience through paystubs or tax forms. I was paid under the table for the duration of my provable time, approximately 5 1/2 years. My employer is a liscensed contractor and happily filled out the form for me.

I guess my questions are, will I definately need to show the CSLB some kind of documentation? Can my employer testify in some way that my experience is legit? If they really need the proof, why don't they ask for it specifically in the application? Or do they ask for it and I'm just not understanding correctly? LOL

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Well, if you did all the certifiable work for this guy, he's a properly licensed contractor, and you satisfy the requirements, then I would think the only people that would have a beef with you is the Franchise Tax Board and the IRS.

If you're saying this guy just happily signed it, but the work you did was for others and he is fradulently verifying work he has no personal knowledge of, then that's a different story.

Advertisement

Last edited by MacRoadie; 03-31-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #3

I'm sure I won't be in trouble with the CSLB. That wasn't exactly my question. My question is, Just how much do they look into your certifiable work experience?

I'm not trying to fool anyone here, it is important information for me to know however because I cannot provide them with the methods of proof that they list.

Looks like the Guru has been MIA for the past few days............

Appreciate your thoughts roadie, just not exactly the answer i'm looking for.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

ah verification...the downside of working for cash,sorry about your predicament but you gotta take the good with the bad
Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
General Contractor

Quote:
I'm sure I won't be in trouble with the CSLB. That wasn't exactly my question. My question is, Just how much do they look into your certifiable work experience?

I'm not trying to fool anyone here, it is important information for me to know however because I cannot provide them with the methods of proof that they list.

Looks like the Guru has been MIA for the past few days............

Appreciate your thoughts roadie, just not exactly the answer i'm looking for.
Actually, I did answer your question.

In your original post you stated:

Quote:
I am a little hesitant to do so because I cannot verify my work experience through paystubs or tax forms.
If the contractor who signed your application is the same individual for whom you performed all your work, then there likely won't be any additional "verification" needed. He has represented under penalty of perjury that he can attest to your competence and the extent of your knowledge. While I am sure it happens occasionally, I don't know anyone who had a single verifier on their app. who had to show any type of additional verification (pay stubs, tax returns, etc). Your employer already "testified" that your experience is legit when he signed the app.

Guys who apply as owner-builders, or who state on their application that they worked as "handymen", etc., or for numerous contractors (regardless of how they were paid) tend to get their applications reviewed and are required to show additional proof that what they have represented is true.

I'm sure Phil can answer your question when he gets back.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 04-02-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #6

Thats the kind of explanation I needed!! lol Thank you, I feel a lot more confident in getting approved. I sent it in yesterday. Any ideas on how long it takes for a response? Or how long it takes to process my check?

Thx roadie
Old 04-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

They tell me that the rules in NM now require tax returns and w-2's showing adequate income for 2 years full time experience from a licensed contractor. A friend of mine had his NM GC license, moved out of state for 4 years so it lapsed before he moved back. Since he had no verifiable work in the previous two years, he was out of luck. The fact that he had previously held a license was of no consequence. He can't get licensed. He's been doing handyman work now for about 6 years but that doesn't count toward a license.

I got my licenses 30 years ago, things were different then.

Last edited by thom; 04-03-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
General Contractor

Quote:
Thats the kind of explanation I needed!! lol Thank you, I feel a lot more confident in getting approved. I sent it in yesterday. Any ideas on how long it takes for a response? Or how long it takes to process my check?

Thx roadie
It takes several weeks for the initional application processing. You can check https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServi...ssingTimes.asp to see what dates they are working on.

Once they do the initial processing, you will get a letter back with an application fee number and a PIN to use for accessing the status of your app.

https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServi...antRequest.asp

If memory serves me, they process the check MUCH faster...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Calif Licensing Expert

Trade: Former California Contractors State License Board
Rewards Points: 1,452

Hello Gang! I've been dealing with pneumonia for almost a month and have been off the grid for a bit. Sorry about that.

Macroadie had a lot of great info. Currently it's only taking two weeks for an app to be processed and a test date issued. Test dates are currently arriving 3 weeks after that.

The CSLB is required by law to do a secondary review (investigation) on 3% of all apps received per year. That's a very small margin but I have seen it happen. The investigator will send you a letter asking for more proof/evidence of your experience. If you submitted your exp as an employee, they will ask for pay stubs, w-2's, tax returns. If you submitted your exp as self employed they will ask for... who knows.

Generally, all of this happens after you've taken and passed your exams. I have seen people pass their exams and be denied the license because the cant back up the exp provided on the app.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by License Guru View Post
The CSLB is required by law to do a secondary review (investigation) on 3% of all apps received per year. That's a very small margin but I have seen it happen. The investigator will send you a letter asking for more proof/evidence of your experience. If you submitted your exp as an employee, they will ask for pay stubs, w-2's, tax returns. If you submitted your exp as self employed they will ask for... who knows.

Generally, all of this happens after you've taken and passed your exams. I have seen people pass their exams and be denied the license because the cant back up the exp provided on the app.
Right, that is the secondary review that can happen to anyone's application though. As you said, that typically happens AFTER taking the test. The bigger hurdle is passing the initial smell test. That's where most guys run into experience troubles. All that happens before they'll even give you a test date.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Calif Licensing Expert

Thats why they should come to me first so I can review their experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to License Guru For This Useful Post:
Plumber93065 (08-04-2010), SoCalSolarGuy (02-04-2016)
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
General Contractor

Quote:

Exactly. I've seen guys send in 10 pages of "support" and get their app kicked, while guys with one properly-worded, comprehensive paragraph sail through.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #13

Trade: plumbing

Quote:

Dear Guru,

I have worked for a general contractor for 6 years full time, doing all sorts of general construction as well as plumbing. Would you kindly suggest the most pertinent trades I should list as having performed on my work experience certification for B license? Also, describing the work experience, what are the key points I need to touch upon to make sure application passes the first time?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Calif Licensing Expert

Hello Plumber93065. Welcome to CT.

For the B you must show Framing and at least 2 unrelated trades. You can list the experience as:

framing, rough-in/finish, concrete, form/pour slabs/sidewalks, electrical, 110/220v rough-in/finish, plumbing rough-in/finish, abs/copper/galvanized, roofing, tear off/sheating/comp/wood shake

etc etc

I offer a free app review to CT members. If you'd like to have me look over your app you can fax or email it to me. Click on my name to the left for my contact info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to License Guru For This Useful Post:
drewsjlee (04-05-2015), SoCalSolarGuy (02-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #15

Trade: plumbing

Dear Guru,

Thank you very much for such a quick response! The information you have provided is very helpful.

Sincerely,

Plumber93065
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #16

Trade: general

Hello Guru,
I need some good advice on applying for California B license. I've be in building trades since 1978 and done a bit of everything over 30 plus years. But the last 10 years I have worked for a large company with a C-35 My job included the inspection, documentation and approval of the framing, roofing, sheet metal work and anything affecting the building envelope prior to lath and plaster installation. This was done to both prevent and defend in future litigation. I was told by California license instruction schools if I list my last 10 years with a C-35 company my B license application will be rejected and I should list side jobs and self employed work experience instead. Does this sound right? I have plenty of trades people that can verify my experience. What should I do to get my application to go through?
Also thank you for your service here on the forum.
-mgt1960
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Calif Licensing Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT1960 View Post
Hello Guru,
I need some good advice on applying for California B license. I've be in building trades since 1978 and done a bit of everything over 30 plus years. But the last 10 years I have worked for a large company with a C-35 My job included the inspection, documentation and approval of the framing, roofing, sheet metal work and anything affecting the building envelope prior to lath and plaster installation. This was done to both prevent and defend in future litigation. I was told by California license instruction schools if I list my last 10 years with a C-35 company my B license application will be rejected and I should list side jobs and self employed work experience instead. Does this sound right? I have plenty of trades people that can verify my experience. What should I do to get my application to go through?
Also thank you for your service here on the forum.
-mgt1960
I agree. Your app would be rejected. They'd want to know how you gained B experience under the C-35 license.

I would also suggest submitting your experience as self employed. You would need a certifier to sign-off on the experience. That certifier could be another B contractor, business associate, another journeyman, or union rep.

If you have a 4 yr or higher college degree, you can use that to augment some of the hands on experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to License Guru For This Useful Post:
MGT1960 (09-27-2012)
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #18

Trade: C-6

License Guru I have one for you... I have submitted my application and have passed both law and trade for a C-6 license, im 23 years old have been working for a cabinet company for 5+ years now and before that i have done side jobs and also build by sisters 5k sqft custom home. It just so happened that my application went into investigation. how can i make sure i say the right words and or send in the appropriate supporting documents for review so i can get my license. on the work experience form i have put down my fellow employee as the certifier because in the company i work for im a key employee and my boss i think would do everything for me not to get my license so that i dont leave the company. what do you suggest i do to handle this situation. i have started the application process back in november of 2012, any help would be of great value and appreciation. thank you.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Calif Licensing Expert

Being 23 is the kicker. You are now the proud owner of the title: Young Journeyman! They will ask you to provide additional proof of your experience by showing w-2's, tax returns, pay stubs, etc. The law requires that you have 4 yrs of Journeyman level experience when you apply for a license. If you're 23, that means you've been a journeyman since you were 19. How did you obtain your apprenticeship qualifications? Prove that and you're golden.
The Following User Says Thank You to License Guru For This Useful Post:
eddiesev (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #20

Trade: C-6

as far as them contacting the employer is there a way around that? ive been with this company for 5+ years now do you know what wage they would pass as journeyman? can i have my coworker varify my experience? or will they still contact my employer?
thanks.

Advertisement