Maryland MHIC App.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #1

Trade: Home Improvement

Maryland MHIC App.

I just sent my MHIC license app. How long does it take to get your license. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Dream BIG! Because no one will do it for you.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
The Man

Trade: Carpentry

Re: Maryland MHIC App.

i am guessing that beacause you asked that question you lust sent in your app for pre-approval. After you are approved to take the test and pass. then you send in the app and it can take up to 30 days from the date of the commision meeting

Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #3

Trade: Handyman

I just go off the phone with someone at MHIC, wow, I actually had to tell the state employee to calm down because she was yelling her answers at me. She was not very helpful, to say the least. I am running into problems regarding proof of experience and would like to get licensed so that I can perform Handyman services in Maryland. I have renovated multiple houses(I was the owner) on my own and have pics/garage full of tools to prove it. Additionally, I have owned multiple successful small businesses, so management experience is sufficient. It appears they want me to go out and work for handyman for two years before I can get licensed. Spend two years learning how to caulk tubs, hang doors, and clean gutters, all of which I am currently able to do. My question: If I start this handyman business with a colleague who is licensed in Maryland, Do I still need to be licensed, or will his license be sufficient for the company? Also, does it have to be 50/50 ownership or can it be however we set it up? I have left messages for the licensing people at the state, but have not heard back from them, plus I really don't want to talk with the lady I spoke with before, she really pissed me off. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by JDH; 01-31-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
paper hanger,painter

Trade: wallpaper hanger,painter
Send a message via Yahoo to chris n

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/
Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
New General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor

MD is nearly worthless when it comes to providing Customer service at MHIC. They are understaffed, lazy, and rude. Your license can take a while, but you can work under your friend's license if you want. You don't have to be part owner, but all the responsibility falls on your friend. The license owner in on the hook for licensing related issues not the owner. You can have a designated employee as the license holder.