License Approved With Felony Record

Old 10-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Trade: insulation
Rewards Points: 10

License Approved With Felony Record

Hello everyone, my brother-in-law is an experienced insulation worker. he wants to get a residential builders license. can they deny him because of his felony record? does anyone know anything about that? thank you for sharing your thoughts!!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Chris

Trade: Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 188

Re: License Approved With Felony Record

Tell "your brother" to call the Labor and Licensing board in his state. It would have taken you less time...er I mean him less time than you getting a screen name and typing the question.

go dart (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Gen. Contractor

Trade: Residential small commercial
Rewards Points: 2,138

Had multiple felonies- they were about 4 years old when I applied for my license. Had to provide all the info to dept. of licensing but to answer your question YES they can deny but if hes truthful with them and has his shiz together now he should be good to go.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodel
Rewards Points: 2,080

and I'm sure it depends upon what the felonies where. With the nanny state these days, one would be surprised what's a felony. Shoplifting can be a felony. Remember, a felony is classified as punishable by more than one year in the klink. Misdemeanors are 1 year or less.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Gen. Contractor

Ya if it was fraud he can probably forget it but If it was drug related ( like mine ) or something of that nature he shouldn't have to much to worry about.
Zohanny (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #6

Trade: insulation

thank you guys for your opinions. his was domestic violence a few years ago. Yes I did call the licensing dpt and they said they review each case individually. as for the crime, he really didn't do anything.his gf got drunk & slept with his nephew.he came to her house & caught them in bed.he didn't even touch her, just confronted her.she must have fell down the night befre when she was drunk and she claimed she got bruised because he attacked her. another questions - is it possible to take the residential builders exam without any knowledge & skills in trades?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Gen. Contractor

In Utah it wouldn't do you any good as you must have w2s provin experience to get a license.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #8

Trade: Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohanny View Post
Hello everyone, my brother-in-law is an experienced insulation worker. he wants to get a residential builders license. can they deny him because of his felony record? does anyone know anything about that? thank you for sharing your thoughts!!
They look for for things that have to do with money,bankrupt,IRS past due accounts . Everyone gets into trouble . You need to prove that your fair and honest.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to WildWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felan Painting View Post
They look for for things that have to do with money,bankrupt,IRS past due accounts . Everyone gets into trouble . You need to prove that your fair and honest.
At first glance there I was thinking, "Well, now there's a guy that not afraid to let everyone know about his record..... Felon Painting...."
Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #10

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
At first glance there I was thinking, "Well, now there's a guy that not afraid to let everyone know about his record..... Felon Painting...."
Old 11-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #11

Trade: Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter hands View Post
Thats the glory of being licensed , you have nothing to hide ! In the eye's of the Gov, your a straight shooter ! Nice to have them on your side . Unlicensed contractors hurt the bidding process by under bidding.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 2,850
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaframer View Post
Ya if it was fraud he can probably forget it but If it was drug related ( like mine ) or something of that nature he shouldn't have to much to worry about.
Fraud is a civil case with different penalties. Drugs, guns and violence are criminal cases.
Either case is enough to disqualify a person from contracting in California.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 2,850
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felan Painting View Post
I read something contrary on the CSLB website recently. CSLB really doesn't give a about BK. they are concerned mostly with building quality, laws, codes, and safety.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,696

Many who got skeletons in theirs closet, and everyone deserves a second chance or more for some Have him take the application and fill everything out, there will be a question where he will need to provide the reason, etc. Some states will require additional information and he should be able get his license... then again, decision is based on the circumstances.

Good luck