Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Illinois Low-Voltage (incl. Chicago) license question.

14K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mickeyco 
#1 ·
I have a business in Illinois located in Wood Dale.
We do a variety of services, including home/business automation, computer networking and support, audio systems and home theater installations, technology assitance, etc.

2 People operate the business, and we have 2 contractors that work for us.

From what i've heard, we do not need a low voltage to do all this, except in Chicago. I looked everywhere and i can't figure out where i can get this type of license. Or is this license the same as the electrician's license?

Is there any other license needed that i am not aware of?

Also, we're trying to get into alarm systems instalations. Is there a license required for that? And if yes, where can i get it from?

Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
The state requires a license for alarm contractors, contact the Illinois Division of Professional Regulation, Chicago requires a "contractors license" to conduct contracting business in Chicago (don't know anyone that has one), I don't know of anyone that requires a license for low voltage work (unless they just consider it electrical work), some suburbs require an electrician to have a license, that license can be obtained, with a test, in several suburbs and Chicago, and regardless of what Chicago tells you, an electrician's license from any testing municipality in Illinois is all that is needed to do electrical work in Chicago, and anywhere in the state, no license is needed if you're working in a Power Plant or Federal building.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.