ICC Contractor's Exam In CO

Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Carpenter Type

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 10

ICC Contractor's Exam In CO

Hello Folks,

Has anyone taken the ICC contractor's exam in CO? I have never taken the code test before but have all the books etc. It is a lot of stuff to take in, I am wondering if anyone has any hints on what type of questions there are etc. It is an open book test, 80 multiple choice questions, 4 hour time limit. I am sure this same test is required in other areas and states but I cannot find sample questions to save my life! I need to pass the test for my Denver County contractor license. Any info anyone can provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jay

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: ICC Contractor's Exam In CO

I tested on the ubc years ago but did you think about the Constructions Exam Center 770 W. hampden Ave. Suite 342, 303 788 0722. IBC classes for about 500.00 usd. Guaranteed pass. I knew some guys who don't know jack and passed the test after going to these classes. My last flyer from these guys was 2003 but if they are not around there is someplace else.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Carpenter Type

Trade: Deck Builder

Thanks for the info, I am going to check them out today. I did a bunch of google searches for a testing prep center here in Denver and nothing came up, not sure why. Thanks again, much appreciated!

Jay
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,974

try experioronline.com or ncpcci I think these are national testing centers-I found sample question for NJ.
Good Luck
Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

You probly already found it but I found a new flyer with http://constructionexam.com/ on it.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
All-Pro

Trade: General Contractor

Old 04-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
All-Pro

I took the ICC Class A General Contractor test last Feb. I took it at the Loveland/ Fort Collins Air Port. I some how passed it on my first try. I have taken a codes and ordinance class at a local community college. I also got the study companion for the IBC book. It helped quite a bit. A good thing to do is to tab every chapter and apdx. of the book and label them. It makes it much quicker to find the answers during the test. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Shane

Here is the link for colorado info
http://www2.iccsafe.org/contractor/d...e.cfm?state=CO.

Here is the link for the testing spots
http://www.lasergrade.com/locate.shtml

Here is the link for the study companion.
http://www.iccsafe.org/e/prodsearch.017S06

Sorry about the last post. I needed 15 to be able to post links.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #8

I am getting ready to take the ICC Contractor A test as well. I took the Contractor C test and passed it a few months ago. In regards to the C test, I was able to pretty much figure out I only needed to know chapters 1-10.

For the Contractor A test I am having a little difficulty figuring out exactly which chapters I need to study. According too the ICC website I will need to know:

Footings and Foundations 16 Questions
Structural and Design 41 Questions
Nonstructural Elements 16 Questions
Plan Reading 10 Questions
Administration 7 Questions

So far I figure that: (all from the IBC book)

Footings and Foundations are covered in Section 1805
Structural and Design are covered in Chapter 16 Structural Design
Administration is covered in Chapter 1

I can't find anything in the IBC book that specifically relates to:

Nonstructural Elements
Plan Reading

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by prenger745; 04-19-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
All-Pro

I think you need to study all of the chapters. If nothing else it will atleast let you know what chapters a questions answer will not be in. I think the nonstructural might be related to coverings, safety,interior, and that sort of thing. As far as plans I think that there are questions that show some drawings and you have to answer questions based on them. They also offer flash cards for the IBC. I have never used them but I bet they are pretty good.
Shane
Old 04-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General, roofing and insulation contractor
Rewards Points: 250

What is the ICC Contractor's exam?

I've been a contractor in Colorado for 15 yrs. and have been hoping one of our legislators would someday figure out this state needs contractor licensing.

It has always amazed me that Colorado has no contractor licensing. I'ts a breeding ground for unscupoulous/unethical construction operations, which makes it hard, if not down-right impossible in some cases/markets for "legitimate" contractors.

At least this may be a step in the right direction.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #11

ICC is the International Code Council. They offer different levels of General Contractor Exams. For example, I passed the Contractor C exam which is the Standard Residential Building Contractor exam. With that exam passed I am able to go into many (not all) municipalities/countys nationwide and obtain a general contractor's license and subsequently permits.

Dan
Old 04-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #12

Shane...

How did you prepare for the exam? Did you study a lot or just learn where stuff was in the book since it is open book?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: General, roofing and insulation contractor
Rewards Points: 250

oh.......guess I got exited about nothing.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #14
All-Pro

Dan,
I did study quite a bit. I would have rather have studied too much than not enough. I did the study companion (see previous post) and then also really learned the chapters. When I took a class on the codes I probably spent about 1/2 hr average on each cahper. Tabbing the chapters with page markers on the side of the book helps a ton. The whole point behind the ICC tests are to see if you can find answers to real life code problems that you would encounter. They know in real life that you will be using the book to find these answers so they just want to make sure that you can interpret it correctly. I would probably go as far as skimming every page. I didn't need to study that much but I am glad that I did. It gave me more confidence when I went in to take the test.
Shane
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #15

Trade: Remodeling

Hey all, I was glad to find this post. I am also getting ready to prepare to get my Denver Class C License so am looking into all the details now. What I have summarized from your posts is obviously I need the book, but the study guide seems worthwhile to get as well? And maybe practice tests? I am curious if any of you in the Denver area still have your book (I noticed the posts are a few years old) and would want to sell it to me? Just a thought. Any info is appreciated. Thanks! Jack
Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt specialty View Post
What is the ICC Contractor's exam?

I've been a contractor in Colorado for 15 yrs. and have been hoping one of our legislators would someday figure out this state needs contractor licensing.

It has always amazed me that Colorado has no contractor licensing. I'ts a breeding ground for unscupoulous/unethical construction operations, which makes it hard, if not down-right impossible in some cases/markets for "legitimate" contractors.

At least this may be a step in the right direction.
There is Contractors Licensing in Colorado FYI unless you're in a rural area the only difference is that it goes by city not by State so it's actually more complicated to get licensed in every single city.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #17

Trade: Residential GC

Updating this thread. I am taking the #N13 Residential Building Contractor C exam this Saturday. Any insights into the exam would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #18

Trade: Installer Direct, LLC
Rewards Points: 2
Smile

I am looking to find out where I can purchase the IBC Class C book (Study Book) to take my General Contractor's License exam. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

I've called the Denver Building Department several times, but have had to leave messages and no one has called me back.

If there's a place where I can buy it online for relatively cheap, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #19

Trade: GC PM
Rewards Points: 6

I'm brand new here, and glad I found this forum.

I've worked for a commercial GC here in Denver as a PM/Super for 7 years. I'm not thinking about going out on my own, in fact someday I see myself taking over here, but I do want to pass the #N12 Class B now. My company could use it if we ever go to CO Springs, Fort Collins, Boulder, etc, as those jurisdictions don't recognize the Denver license as sufficient to give you a license in their jurisdiction. Anywhere else, we can pretty much just bring in our Denver license and pay the fee.

But here's the question: If I take that test and pass it, and whether or not I get licensed anywhere, does it do anything for me/us? By the time I ever need it, everywhere could be requiring 2012 IBC (#N12 is based on 2009). I could take the test and apply for a Denver GC license now, but by the time we ever need to go to Fort Collins or other places, those places could be requiring 2012, and they still wouldn't recognize the Denver license.

Furthermore, you can still take the ICC Class B exam based on the 2006. All of the cities around here are requiring the 2009. What if I had already taken the test based on the 2006? "C'mon, you changed a few words here and there and my test no longer counts?"

I'm assuming you get grandfathered in anywhere you already have a license, even if they change the testing requirements. But getting licensed everywhere isn't an option, for obvious reasons. Not for me, not for anyone. It's like you can't win.

Anybody have any insight on this?

Last edited by brombones; 07-31-2014 at 05:22 PM.