Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Georgia Remodeler License Question

9K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Mixa 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am a residential remodeler from Alabama where as long as you did contracts under $25k, you were not required to have a state license. I have recently moved to Atlanta, Ga and was wondering if anyone could explain the contractor license law to me here?

When I went to the business license office in my town to get a residential remodeler's license, they laughed and said there is no such thing here. The way it was explained to me was that I could only get like a "carpenter's license" wich allows me to do work up to $2500/contract and I could do not work needing a permit. So basically all I can do under that carpenter's license is paint, drywall, and trim lol...I can't even build a new deck on someone's house! I hope that maybe I am not seeing this correctly.

If you think you can help me understand this crazy situation better, please post a response.

#4 ·
We were "grand-fathered" in when the licensure finally took effect due to being in business at the same location for 5 years and providing info on past projects, etc.

Filled out a 20-30 page app and provided copies of previous projects' permits and cert. of occup....background check, credit check, etc. and some other stuff I don't recall.

#5 ·
thanks for the quick reply.

"Work costing less than $2,500 does not require the services of a state licensed contractor"

that sentence from the link you provided makes me think that anything over $2500 would require the services of a state licensed contractor.

So now, I guess my question becomes, what is the best way to deal with this situation?

I want to still market my company as being able to do additions, foundations, and so on so should I just find a state licensed contractor to "work with me" on these projects and just cut him a percentage of the job? Is that how you would run things or do you have another idea of how to work around this...

thanks in advance for your help.

#7 ·
:laughing: i bet there is money in bridges...make you wonder next time you drive across a bridge if it is going to hold or not. lol

thanks for the links. the second set of links did "somewhat" explain things better. I guess to make a long story short, if I got one of each of those license at my local business license office I would be able to do basically anything but build a unit more than 3 stories high?

roofing, concrete, rough carpentry, blah blah...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.