Florida Qualifier Questions

Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #1

Trade: Project Manager - Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 10

Florida Qualifier Questions

I have my CGC certification and have been approached by a company that wants me to be their qualifier. What would my liabilities be? How can I limit them? What is really at stake? If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

jsabbitt@gmail.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Florida Qualifier Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsabbitt View Post
I have my CGC certification and have been approached by a company that wants me to be their qualifier. What would my liabilities be? How can I limit them? What is really at stake? If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

jsabbitt@gmail.com
Unless you have an FRO, you will be 100% liable, if they have an FRO, then you will be liable for the jobs being done correctly.

If you are just going to qualify a company and just collect a check without being invovled you are taking a big risk.

Why doesn't this company have a qualifier already, what happened to their last qualifier?

Even if everything is done correctly, you still have a lot of potential risk.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 150

Not sure w/florida but in illinois you also have to own at least 25% of the corporation if inc. or be known as a partner if not which could lead to several accounting headaches i would think. Any potential lawsuits would be heading your way too. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #4

Trade: Project Manager - Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 10

I would be involved, but not onsite daily. If I am not the FRO, what are my liabilities?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
the pipe master

Trade: plumbing, solar
Rewards Points: 500

If they bail out or screw up on a job, you are ultimately responsible. Your license is the last thing that would be attacked though. they would have to go through the companies insurance and then sue the company it's self. If the lawyers come up dry there then they can go after the money out of the Florida construction recovery fund held by the state. If that happens your license will be revoked forever. After that point, you can never hold a construction license of any kind in Florida.

It's unlikely that it would go that far, but if it did your toast. Kinda scary.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsabbitt View Post
I would be involved, but not onsite daily. If I am not the FRO, what are my liabilities?
You are liable for all work done under your license, they could do work on jobs you are unaware of and be 100% liable.

A friend of mine qualified his ex partners business, they didn't pull permits and did half assed work, he got fined because he wasn't overseeing the jobs.