Commercial Construction NJ

Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 930

Commercial Construction NJ

Does anyone have a link for the registration/licensing requirements for Commercial Construction in NJ?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Commercial Construction NJ

As far as I know there is none. New Home and Home Improvement Contractor are all that is out there...other than Elect, Plg,etc.

http://contractors-license.org/

The Following User Says Thank You to HSConstruction For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,776

Yes, Commercial and Residential is under the same licensees, unless there is a specialty trade required.
AmeliaP (02-08-2010)
Old 02-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 930

FYI - According to Wayne Twp, NJ (were the job is) there is no licensing or registration for commercial masonry. I have to call the guy who replied to my question and just check on contract requirements now.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #5

Trade: Construction Attorney
Rewards Points: 10

When you write "commercial," it's not 100% clear if you mean public as well as private, as opposed to the commercial/residential split that is the first thing I'd think of if asked your question. You ordinarily wouldn't need a licnse in an unregulated trade for private commercial work, but if you're going after public jobs, too, you'll need to register with the Department of Labor and Workforce Development of the State of New Jersey under "The Public Works Contractor Registration Act" (34:11 56.48 et seq.) Advance registration is legally required for contractors and subcontractors who work or bid on public jobs. For 100 percent State funded projects, bidders must be registered at the time of bid. For Federally funded projects, the bidder must be registered prior to execution of the contract. Registration is the beginning of the public work qualification process. Check with counsel for further guidance.