Thinking About Starting A Side Business.....need Some Input

Old 12-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Trade: Excavating
Rewards Points: 2

Thinking About Starting A Side Business.....need Some Input

Hi, I'm new to this site and I need some input on an idea that I have been tossing around for awhile now. I currently have a county job and farm. So when I'm not farming after work I'd like to try to make some money on the side. I have been looking at purchasing a trailer mounted high pressure water jetter. I currently operate one frequently cleaning sewer laterals. If I would purchase one I would use it to clean our field tiles and hopefully talk to local farmers and clean there's also but I don't know if that is a good idea or not. If I would happen to get it stuck I own a backhoe and it's more than likely going to be on site to dig up entry holes, so I don't see that being a big deal. I would also use it on sewer laterals to remove roots and debris. If anyone on here does anything like what I would like to do please give some input if you can, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 15,106

Re: Thinking About Starting A Side Business.....need Some Input

Contact the farms you'd like to serve and get their feedback about your proposed service and what you can offer to earn their business...

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
McDFarms (12-17-2016)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

Trade: sewer repair and replacement
Rewards Points: 28

You are not going to find a lot of farmers here. Water jets are not typically used to clear side sewers, however. As mentioned above you need to focus on farmers and do some market research with them. Good luck.

Tracy
Aces Four Construction
The Following User Says Thank You to Acesfour For This Useful Post:
McDFarms (02-03-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 966

How many jobs do you need to do to pay for the equipment. I usually look for one or two jobs repayment.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
McDFarms (02-03-2017)