Soil Screeners

Old 11-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,622

Soil Screeners

Hey All,

Now that my equipment yard is all set up I've got about 3-400 yards of topsoil off the site and another 60 yards that I've accepted from others that's unscreened. In my area I can accept soil for $10/yard (besides what I get off my jobs) and sell for $12-18 per yard depending on organic quality.

Have any of you guys set up to screen and sell? Did you use a vibratory screen or a trommel screen? Commercial or home made?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,521

Re: Soil Screeners

I'd think an itinerant soil cleaner could process your pile every 6 months to year or so much cheaper then you could with either small ineffective machines, or over spending/investing in good equipment that hardly gets used doing such a 'small amount'. If you have room to segregate clean and mixed soils and room for large machines....

Or you might get into the custom soil mixing for other excavators/GCs

I'd study the crazy silica/dust control regs prior to spending any large sums.

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Asphalt Paving & Excavating
Rewards Points: 50

Re: Soil Screeners

I have an older Read Screener..RD90. Love it. I feel like the tumbling effect of a Tromell sort of leaves a pellet like product.. I take in from my own jobs plus anyone I know if they have it. I don't charge to dump but re-sell the screened loam for $38.00/ cyd.. but I'm sure prices vary all over the country