Skid Steer And Mini Or Dozer And Mini?

Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #1

Trade: Excavating

Skid Steer And Mini Or Dozer And Mini?

What would be the most efficient set up? Skid loader and mini excavator or dozer and mid sized trackhoe? Iím slowly starting out and Iím just looking for your opinions on the most profitable and most versatile. Iím looking at mostly putting in drive ways/resurfacing, cleaning out ponds, sidewalk and small demo, small sewer and water jobs, brush removal, agricultural drain tile installation and maybe some small terrace jobs. But thatíd depend on what I buy wether skidsteer or dozer! Any info is appreciated! Tips on the business would also be a plus!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 1,010

Re: Skid Steer And Mini Or Dozer And Mini?

from what you've described as desired type of work.

i hate dozers, have always hated dozers.

that said, what do you consider midsize excavator? 307 cat?

my guess for now, you'd be best in an excavator and tracked skiddy you can haul comfortably on a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup with gooseneck trailer at the same time.

your business will probably grow, but i think you'll always find that that size type of equipment from what you've described, will serve your needs well at the onset.

unless you've got the biz right out of the chute that will support a designated tractor/lowboy setup to haul stuff around, that's the route i'd go.

tips on business, get yourself an accountant immediately that you can trust and meet with at least twice a month. lot of times we "think" we know our costs, but takes somebody who crunches numbers on a daily basis to open our eyes.

good luck to you!

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
XJCraver (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Pro

looking back on my post, and seeing your username..."cat325"...and the description of work you'd like to do, you've described a BROAD spectrum of work.

you surely don't want a 320 or 325 sized excavator on most sidewalk demo, terrace, typical water/sewer service install jobs.

but then again, you surely don't want a 307 on pond cleanout job, larger demo jobs, or most farm tile work.

i don't know if you're working by yourself, or have/will have employees. i think you to get started need to narrow your desired work path and acquire machines that will fill your immediate need.

remember, if an occasional larger job presents itself and you need larger equipment, rent it. have it delivered, picked up when done.

again, good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
jhark123 (01-10-2018)

Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Building Official
Rewards Points: 156

When I'm not stuck in this office I farm a small piece of ground, which leads me to believe I'd be the kind of customer you're looking for. I have my own skidsteer, but I can think of 10,000 jobs right this second you could come do for me with it or a mid-sized excavator. Only a couple things I need done would require a big hoe, and I don't think there's a single project we need a dozer on the place for.

Just starting out I would assume being able to haul your own stuff with a pickup would be a bonus. I'd sure look real hard at going that route if it were me.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 8,628

Iíd say skid and mini. A mini with a blade isnít close to a dozer, but itís a damn site better that a dozer alone. If you get a tracked skid loader you can put a dozer blade on it. Not the same, but 1/2 way there anyway
Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
looking back on my post, and seeing your username..."cat325"...and the description of work you'd like to do, you've described a BROAD spectrum of work.

you surely don't want a 320 or 325 sized excavator on most sidewalk demo, terrace, typical water/sewer service install jobs.

but then again, you surely don't want a 307 on pond cleanout job, larger demo jobs, or most farm tile work.

i don't know if you're working by yourself, or have/will have employees. i think you to get started need to narrow your desired work path and acquire machines that will fill your immediate need.

remember, if an occasional larger job presents itself and you need larger equipment, rent it. have it delivered, picked up when done.

again, good luck
Honestly Iíd like to do them all I feel like itís a wide variety of jobs that would keep a man and some part time help busy. But right now Iím leaning towards a 307ish cat and a 252 cat skidloader or a model smaller. Eventually Iíd like a 330 Cat and a D5 dozer for land clearing and ponds etc
Old 01-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat325 View Post
Honestly Iíd like to do them all I feel like itís a wide variety of jobs that would keep a man and some part time help busy. But right now Iím leaning towards a 307ish cat and a 252 cat skidloader or a model smaller. Eventually Iíd like a 330 Cat and a D5 dozer for land clearing and ponds etc
get cat outta your head, think deere, save a pile of money on parts and service when you need it.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
get cat outta your head, think deere, save a pile of money on parts and service when you need it.
i was just born and raised around cat been around Deere more lately on jobs and I am impressed but whatís the durability compared to cat? 333 Deere skid loaders I love besides maintenance
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #9

Trade: Excavation Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I started with a backhoe and skidsteer. Knowing what I know now, I would have started with a bigger mini (60-80 size) and a tracked skidsteer. There aren't many days that go by where we don't use them.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhoe12 View Post
I started with a backhoe and skidsteer. Knowing what I know now, I would have started with a bigger mini (60-80 size) and a tracked skidsteer. There aren't many days that go by where we don't use them.
thatís what Iím thinking maybe a dump truck and pintel hitch trailer
Old 01-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
thatís what Iím thinking maybe a dump truck and pintel hitch trailer
Exactly!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhoe12 View Post
lose your password andrew?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #13

Quote:
lose your password andrew?
yes
Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,622

Well, I'd say you'll need a loader of some type for sewer/water lines. I'd start with a 5-7 ton mini and a tracked skid steer. Those will be the most versatile.

Advertisement