Rental Equipment

Old 12-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 10

Rental Equipment

Good evening everyone!

Just been doing some more research and browsing the last little while. I posted about starting out not too long ago but I got a little delayed with a lot of things that have been going on in my life and I'm ready to go now. I was driving an 08 F250 Diesel truck up until about 3 weeks ago when I had to get rid of it because it would have costed me too much to fix.. (I haven't been making money with it) So my question to you guys is, if I was to line up work where I could rent a mini would it look unprofessional if I showed up with say a home depot rental truck or any other rental truck? I'm worried now about being able to rent equipment if I don't have a truck to tow it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Excavation & Asphalt Paving
Rewards Points: 272

Re: Rental Equipment

By the time you rent a truck and maybe a trailer you can just have the rental yard deliver it. Drive your transportation to the job and not worry about wasting time renting a truck, taking it back just to save on the rental and then having to drive back to the job. There are contractors around me that don't have there own haul trucks. They pay a guy to move everything.

We haul tens of thousands of tons of asphalt a year with rented dump trucks. I've got one old tri-axle and a old single axle dump that we will use for small stuff, occasional load on the road and a lot of on site hauling. I don't think anyone gives a #*@$, just get the job done on time and correctly and move on. I don't want to deal with a bunch of truck maintenance or especially truck drivers, let the trucking guys do that.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxley-Kidwell For This Useful Post:
belangerheating (02-11-2017), tcros (01-28-2017)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,464

I get contracting rigs to haul material....

but you are not likely to get very far in to my job in a bunch of HD rental equipment.

Specialized stuff from a commercial rental yard different story....
dayexco (12-15-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 7,564

have equipment delivered, drive to job in whatever you have.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 3,056

Agreed. Don't show up to work in a Home Depot truck. There are plenty of ways to have equipment delivered. The first one that comes to mind is where you rent the equipment.

I'm assuming you have a vehicle to get to work? You said you sold your truck. So...you have another one, right?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #6
Deplorable Electrician

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 659

I have worked for several large companies that did work at remote locations, we always used delivered rental equipment and rented vans for people transport.

Trump Enthusiast
Old 12-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

Right I agree with everything said above, but I'm talking on a small scale. I can have a machine delivered but say I need to remove an extra yard or 2 of material, then what do I do? That's kind of my dilemma..
Old 12-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydex View Post
Right I agree with everything said above, but I'm talking on a small scale. I can have a machine delivered but say I need to remove an extra yard or 2 of material, then what do I do? That's kind of my dilemma..
Dig a hole and bury it!
The Following User Says Thank You to wazez For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 324

Quote:
Do you know someone with a dump trailer? Would they haul it away for you for a reasonable fee?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post
Do you know someone with a dump trailer? Would they haul it away for you for a reasonable fee?
No unfortunately I don't. This has always been a concern of mine as I'm not starting off by purchasing single axle or F550 with a dump box..
Old 12-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,464

Quote:
No unfortunately I don't. This has always been a concern of mine as I'm not starting off by purchasing single axle or F550 with a dump box..
have your equipment delivered.

hire a truck to off haul.

ride your bike or skateboard home....

perhaps you should re-evaluate your biz plan....
pinwheel (12-18-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 1,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
I get contracting rigs to haul material....

but you are not likely to get very far in to my job in a bunch of HD rental equipment.

Specialized stuff from a commercial rental yard different story....
what griz says...one thing to rent from hertz or united. contractors get busy, or need piece of equipment they don't have...they're good, or your local heavy equipment dealer.

to me, like griz implied...HD rental has "hack" written all over it.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 12

I would also suggest to have the rental yard deliver your machine needed. Then depending on distance it may be cheap to have a local wrecker company send a tilt deck truck to pick it up and move it job from Job.

Like griz said, the best way to look professional is to look like you own your equipment. When starting an Excavating business you need to concentrate on what you are starting and what makes you money. Do you excavate or truck? That answer will determine your first move. I started off with my personal pickup, then rented equipment, then bought an excavator, then after I bought the machine that I need to do my work, then I branched off and bought my triaxle.

And don't waste your money on a 550 sized truck. Get a single axle heavy spec 7 yard truck with air brakes. It will be safer and you'll haul more dirt.

Good luck on the future venture!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillettEx View Post
I would also suggest to have the rental yard deliver your machine needed. Then depending on distance it may be cheap to have a local wrecker company send a tilt deck truck to pick it up and move it job from Job.

Like griz said, the best way to look professional is to look like you own your equipment. When starting an Excavating business you need to concentrate on what you are starting and what makes you money. Do you excavate or truck? That answer will determine your first move. I started off with my personal pickup, then rented equipment, then bought an excavator, then after I bought the machine that I need to do my work, then I branched off and bought my triaxle.

And don't waste your money on a 550 sized truck. Get a single axle heavy spec 7 yard truck with air brakes. It will be safer and you'll haul more dirt.

Good luck on the future venture!
Thanks a lot for the information! I guess it's true when you guys say it looks more professional to make it look like you own more of your equipment.. I will definitely look into all of this stuff. Purchasing for me is still a way away because I'm looking at a slow start ( Weekends and such)

I actually follow you on instagram GilletEx, I love seeing all your posts and how far you've come!
Old 12-18-2016, 05:41 AM   #15
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 702

I guess I have a little different take on this, being a small company who built up from nothing. Put your focus on making sure your clientele is happy, no matter what will get you far more work than worrying about how professional you look. You can focus more on image once you've grown beyond evenings & weekend work.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (12-24-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 1,864

We are one of the biggest site contractors in our area (less the road contractors) and we rent equipment on almost every job.

A lot of it is timing, distance for our yard, etc. United Rentals, Hertz, etc all have big commercial tool rental programs. We use their programs regularly.

In some instances I'd rather have a site contractor be willing to rent equipment as needed. Then I don't have to wait on "our D7 that's out in BFE. that job should be done by Tuesday". It never is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,474

Hook up with a few dump truck owner/operators to do your haul off.

It sounds like you may want to consider working for someone else for a while to gain experience and build up cash. This is not a forgiving business to the under capitalized or inexperienced.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #18
Learn-Build-Enjoy

Trade: Carpentry and Landscaping
Rewards Points: 110

Do you just do excavation work? How do you make enough money if you rent? Time is money, rentals are expensive. Time to book the machine, pay for it, drive to pick it up, loading and unloading, returning. In that amount of time I could have done a small $200 job. I started not too long ago and I have a half ton tundra 10,000 lbs towing capacity, because I know it will never let me down it's enough to pull my small machines around. As my business grows, I will be getting into 1 ton diesel trucks, dump trailers, and bigger machinery. I only rent when I need a larger or specific machine. I personally would have only made 30% of what I do if I rented my machine all the time. Find a nice used small machine and maintain it all the time and keep $3000 in emergency funds. If you do not have the funds yet, work for someone in the industry you want to get in or start off with what you can. You have to make enough to live too. When you own your equipment, you have the flexibility to use it whenever and do not have to keep looking at the clock for when you have to return it and be stressed out. That's just my 2 cents. I'm not sure exactly what work you do. If it's like 90% machine work, I just can't see much profit unless you have contracts lined up for continuous work.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 12

The above poster does have a point. It is extremely hard to do the small jobs with rentals. Typically you could do those small jobs often and knock them out faster and make more money then a bigger job that you will be able to rent on. But that's only if you can find enough small work.

Also remember that you'll never by the perfect machine. One day you need a mini ex, one day a 20 ton ex, one day a dozer. So sometimes you just have to buy something, and start from there.

I know it's kinda off topic but it will help.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 308

I agree with buying a piece of equipment. If you are doing this in the weekends and you get rained out and can't finish and have to leave the machine there for a day or two til you can come back and finish up one evening you have just lost all your profits with the extra rent or the return and re delivery fee. I rent when I have to, but am always planning/evaluating to see if a purchase is right for this time or if it's best to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement