Removing Inground Pool?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC/ Peace Keeper/#1 Financial Burden Carrier
Rewards Points: 75

Removing Inground Pool?

I am bidding a large room addition that will be centered over an existing in ground pool, that I will need to remove and fill. (Through all the darn snow) All I can see is a vinyl liner and what appears to be some kind of metal forms underneath....Can anyone tell me anything?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ayerzee

Re: Removing Inground Pool?

I also live in ohio and built an inground pool a couple of years ago. The top 3 feet consist of galvanized walls that have are anchored to the ground with concrete. Below the steel walls (By the top 3 feet I mean the vertical portion of the pool near the water level) it is just dirt covered with vermiculite. That's all I really know, I'm not sure if they were constructed any differently back in the day I'll have to ask my old man (he was an operator for Ohio pools for a little while)

Old 02-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,874

Greetings, how about going back and giving us an introduction

You probably have a skeleton. Are you going to try and salvage the pool? There willl be some type of retention system attaching the liner to the rim. It could have some concrete footings to keep it in the hole. Any old plans? Lots of nuts & bolts! A mini excavator or back hoe would pop it right out. If it's not too big a pick up will yank it out.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 3,822

Typically the top of the pool walls are held rigid by being tied into the deck that surrounds the pool, if there is no deck there is probably a concrete bond beam with some steel re-bar. The bottom of the pool walls are also held rigid by a poured concrete footing that was installed after the walls were set in place. The wall panels are tied into that concrete.

You will probably need to remove a deck or bond beam with a tractor then pull the rest out. Pay attention to the material on the bottom of the pool. It may be a cushioned concrete. This would have a vermiculite or perlite or styrofoam bead aggregate. If so, you should remove this prior to backfilling because it will not properly compact.
The Following User Says Thank You to thom For This Useful Post:
Girlscanbld2 (02-13-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Greetings, how about going back and giving us an introduction

You probably have a skeleton. Are you going to try and salvage the pool? There willl be some type of retention system attaching the liner to the rim. It could have some concrete footings to keep it in the hole. Any old plans? Lots of nuts & bolts! A mini excavator or back hoe would pop it right out. If it's not too big a pick up will yank it out.
Forgive me, as you can see I'm new here. I've worked in the housing industry in different aspects since high school (25 yrs?) Sales, Appraisals, Inspection...but didn't find my niche until I tried the building side of it. I specialize in log home construction for Kuhns Brother out of PA. ( I absolutely love being in the woods all day...nobody builds a log home in a sub-division, right?) But with today's economy- business has driven me in different directions, yet I'm afloat and thankful!! I love the challenge of creating something that will far outlive me.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlscanbld2 View Post
I am bidding a large room addition that will be centered over an existing in ground pool, that I will need to remove and fill. (Through all the darn snow) All I can see is a vinyl liner and what appears to be some kind of metal forms underneath....Can anyone tell me anything?
What you want us to tell you? That we have no idea what you talking about, except that you building an addition over something that even you have no clue what is there and you looking right at it? Do us all a favor, go back to what you do best, Sales, Appraisals, Inspections... before that whole addition ends up in the pool with HO under it.

Last edited by greg24k; 02-13-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
What you want us to tell you? That we have no idea what you talking about, except that you building an addition over something that even you have no clue what is there and you looking right at it? Do us all a favor, go back to what you do best, Sales, Appraisals, Inspections... before that whole addition ends up in the pool with HO under it.

Thanks for your kind words and inspiration. Are you the guy that delivers my porta-johns?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Pro

I never made a penny on the jobs I didn't get.....just trying to make a living. Who can blame me for that?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Pro

I understand what I'm up against now and can better cover my costs in my bid. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words and inspiration. Are you the guy that delivers my porta-johns?

Lol classic.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,898

Quote:
I never made a penny on the jobs I didn't get.....just trying to make a living. Who can blame me for that?
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 3,168

Back to the original question....

I have demoed a few pools. and have seen ones with steel walls and a vinyl liner.
Some have a concrete footing that is poured with the steel in it, and the rest of the bottom is sand. Others have a full concrete bottom. I have never heard of "cushioned" concrete.

Not knowing the location of the pool in relation to the addition foundation, I can't give you specifics.
But generally I would make sure the bottom of the new foundation is below the lowest part of the pool.

If you intend to remove the pool, fill the hole and install the new foundation on the fill, I would make sure you have a soils tech/engineer verify the subgrade and monitor the filling and compaction process. They will be able to provide density/compaction reports stating the area is ok to build upon.

My personal preference would be to simply trench the footings deep enough so they are not affected by the previous excavations, spend some money on extra concrete. It will probably be less expensive, faster and you'll be able to sleep at night.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
Pro

The pool is roughly 12x20 and will sit only 6' inside the NW corner of the 32x40 addition. Fortunately it's max depth is also only 6' (according to HO), I was thinking of a deeper footer on that corner only. Do you think that's a reasonable solution?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 3,168

Yes, it is a reasonable solution.

Remove the pool, backfill and compact, so you don't get settling in the area.

When digging the footings make sure to get down to natural soil in the pool area.
Fill the low area with concrete to the same level as the rest of the footing, it will cost you a few yards of concrete, but that's how I would do it.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: excavating / concrete / masonry
Rewards Points: 1,000

You won't go wrong following tgeb's advice. He's a smart guy. Be sure to state exactly what you are going to do and what you are not going to do in your proposal.

Pools tend to have water around them when excavated. There are always possible issue's when things are underground.

"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving" Albert Einstein
Old 02-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #16

Trade: General/Concrete/Framing
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Drain it, get a bobcat dig it out 4 hrs or so. level off bottom & Wheel roll. 100+yds of good soil in 8" lifts wheel roll it w/ full bucket. Soils inspection to observe if reqd. about 5 grand
Old 02-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #17

Trade: General/Concrete/Framing
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanLandingham View Post
Drain it, get a bobcat dig it out 4 hrs or so. level off bottom & Wheel roll. 100+yds of good soil in 8" lifts wheel roll it w/ full bucket. Soils inspection to observe if reqd. about 5 grand
Deeper ftg in that area, or grade beam would be a great idea.
Forgive the AH who acted like an idiot
The Following User Says Thank You to VanLandingham For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #18
Custom Builder

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Wheel roll 8 in lifts? Glad i dont pour mud behind you. Take that small corner to natural soils or get compaction on your fill but compact it with vibration.