Locating Position Of Pad And Stakeout For Footing/Wall/Slab

Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #1

Trade: Certified Residential Contractor - New Construction
Rewards Points: 2

Locating Position Of Pad And Stakeout For Footing/Wall/Slab

Just getting back into new construction in SW Florida after years of layoff after crash. Previous Excavation company owner passed away, so looking for new excavation co for site work for upcoming residential project which sets the stage for my questions below:

My old excavation co used to locate where to build the dirt pad prior to layout. This project coming up is on a non-standard lot pie shape with 120' on the water/intersecting canal view. The lot has a concave shape on the water as opposed to 120' straight seawall , so the set backs, particularly for the retaining wall for the pool is more complex. The home will be angled such as to get a more direct view of the intersecting canal as well AND an ATU Septic system will be used in the front due to the size of the home.

Question: 1) Would the excavator need me to get a surveyor in there to locate where the dirt pad for the home should be located first or do they have their own to make sure it is correct (the old company I used always did it themselves no issues)?
2) Layout: Used to use separate cos for footing through slab, then build the block wall, then final co for tie beam. First time using Layout through Tiebeam - 1 company. Never had a surveyor come in for the other guys, but need your opinion on whether a surveyor is needed for the Layout thru Tiebeam co OR do they take care of it. Your experience.

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 972

Re: Locating Position Of Pad And Stakeout For Footing/Wall/Slab

Seems to important to risk it. You have doubts about your sitework contractor. Either hire one yountrust or hire a surveyor.

Your gut is telling you something.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
florida05 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 586

Re: Locating Position Of Pad And Stakeout For Footing/Wall/Slab

can't you have engineer come place you some offsets like....15' off each corner so everybody can still get around, and only pay surveyor once?